Pucovski takes himself out of contention for Australia Test selection

By Sports Desk November 13, 2019

Will Pucovski has pulled out of contention to be selected for Australia's Test squad against Pakistan to focus on his mental health.

The 21-year-old Australian batsman had been in line to push for the 14-man side, which will be named on Thursday ahead of the two-Test series starting November 21.

Pucovski has made a strong start in the Sheffield Shield, scoring 123 runs for Victoria against South Australia, while also impressing on tour with Australia A in England earlier in 2019.

He was also selected for an Australia A side that took on Pakistan in a three-day tour match in Perth this week. 

Having previously taken two breaks to deal with his mental wellbeing, Pucovski informed Australia's management that he was struggling during Tuesday's evening session, as his side collapsed in their first innings.

"We applaud Will for having the courage to discuss his situation with team management in Perth," Cricket Australia's manager of national teams Ben Oliver said in a statement.

"Will's decision not to nominate for Test selection was the right one in the circumstances and one that everyone in the Australian cricket family supports.

"Mental health is a complex issue that unfortunately impacts many young men and women in our society. By Will bravely taking this position, he will undoubtedly inspire others facing similar challenges to speak up and take positive steps towards improving their mental wellbeing.

"The most important thing now is for Will to be given the time, space and expert support that he needs to return to full health as soon as possible. I speak on behalf of everyone in Australian cricket when I say we wish Will the very best in his recovery."

Pucovski's decision comes on the back of Australia all-rounder Glenn Maxwell confirming he is taking time off to address "difficulties" relating to his mental wellbeing.

Related items

  • Gayle, Edwards, Bravo included in Windies T20 squad for upcoming tours - recalls for Hetmyer, Thomas, Cottrell Gayle, Edwards, Bravo included in Windies T20 squad for upcoming tours - recalls for Hetmyer, Thomas, Cottrell

    The veteran trio of Chris Gayle, Fidel Edwards, and Dwayne Bravo have all been included in a provisional 18-man squad released by Cricket West Indies, ahead of a flurry of upcoming international matches.

    As part of preparations for the upcoming World T20 championships the Windies, the defending champions, will be involved in three back-to-back five-match T20 International (T20I) series against South Africa, Australia, and Pakistan.

    The squad, which will be captained by Kieron Pollard, will also see the return of the likes of Sheldon Cottrell, Shimron Hetmyer, Andre Russell, Oshane Thomas, and Hayden Walsh Jr.  The players missed out on being selected for the team’s previous T20 international series against Sri Lanka, which was won 2-1 by the regional team.

    Windies coach Phil Simmons has praised the squad as a combination of experience and youth.

    “These upcoming T20Is are crucial in terms of our preparation for the ICC T20 World Cup. We have assembled a very solid squad — with experienced world-class match-winners and some exciting young talented players, ready to explode onto the global stage and do great things for West Indies cricket,” Simmons said.

     “We are at that point where we have identified those who we will look to be the core of the squad to defend our World Cup title, so we want to make sure the upcoming matches create that environment — the way we train, the way we plan, the way we execute and the chemistry within the group. We won five years ago, so the next few weeks and months will be major steppingstones on the road towards defending our title and being World Champions for the third time.”

     

    FULL SQUAD SELECTED:

    1. Kieron Pollard – Captain
    2. Nicholas Pooran – Vice-Captain
    3. Fabian Allen
    4. Dwayne Bravo
    5. Sheldon Cottrell
    6. Fidel Edwards
    7. Andre Fletcher
    8. Chris Gayle
    9. Shimron Hetmyer
    10. Jason Holder
    11. Akeal Hosein
    12. Evin Lewis
    13. Obed McCoy
    14. Andre Russell
    15. Lendl Simmons
    16. Kevin Sinclair
    17. Oshane Thomas
    18. Hayden Walsh Jr
  • De Villiers' international retirement is now 'final', won't take part in Windies tour confirm South Africa De Villiers' international retirement is now 'final', won't take part in Windies tour confirm South Africa

    Former South Africa batsman AB de Villiers will not be making a return to international cricket.

    De Villiers has not been named in any of the Proteas' squads to face West Indies and Ireland next month.

    After talks about a potential comeback ahead of the World Twenty20 concluded, no agreement was reached and the 37-year-old's retirement is now final.

    "AB de Villiers finalises [his] international retirement," read a statement from Cricket South Africa on Tuesday.

    "Discussions with AB de Villiers have concluded with the batsman deciding once and for all that his retirement will remain final."

    De Villiers had also been linked with a comeback before the 2019 Cricket World Cup, but ended up not being selected after making a last-gasp offer to play in the tournament.

    The veteran last played for South Africa in a Test match against Australia back in March 2018.

    He played in 114 Tests for the Proteas and scored 8,765 runs at an average of 50.66, with 22 centuries as well as taking 222 catches, 101 of those as a wicketkeeper.

    De Villiers was even more impressive in the ODI format, averaging 53.50 and racking up 25 hundreds in 228 appearances, while he also played in 78 T20Is.

    South Africa will play two Tests and five T20Is against West Indies before three ODIs and three T20Is against Ireland.

    Six uncapped players were named in the Test squad: Prenelan Subrayen, Lizaad Williams, Kyle Verreynne, Keegan Petersen, Sarel Erwee and Marco Jansen.

    Dean Elgar will lead the 19-man squad for the first time as permanent Test skipper after replacing Quinton de Kock.

  • Bracey, Robinson get England Test calls, Stokes 'making excellent progress' Bracey, Robinson get England Test calls, Stokes 'making excellent progress'

    James Bracey and Ollie Robinson have been handed their first England Test call-ups, while Craig Overton earns a recall to a 15-man squad.

    Chris Silverwood's options have been limited for the two-match home series against New Zealand next month.

    Superstar all-rounder Ben Stokes (finger) and fast bowler Jofra Archer (elbow) are both injured, while Moeen Ali, Jonny Bairstow, Jos Buttler, Sam Curran and Chris Woakes are all rested after completing a quarantine period following their return home from the postponed Indian Premier League.

    It means wicketkeeper-batsman Bracey and seamer Robinson both get the call, rewarded for impressive performances in the early stages of the County Championship season.

    Bracey averages 37.30 across his first-class career, but is at an impressive 53 – courtesy of 478 runs – for Gloucestershire so far this season. Robinson, meanwhile, has claimed 29 wickets at just 14 apiece for Sussex.

    Both men have already toured with England as reserves in Sri Lanka and India, while they were included in extended groups for the Tests last year against West Indies and Pakistan.

    Somerset all-rounder Overton, who has four caps, is set to return to the fold for the first time since the 2019 Ashes.

    Head coach Silverwood said: "The summer of Test cricket will be fascinating.

    "Playing the top two teams in the world, in New Zealand and India, is perfect preparation for us as we continue to improve and progress towards an Ashes series in Australia at the back end of the year. 

    "With several players not available through injury or being rested for the New Zealand series, it is an opportunity for us to reward those who have been on the fringes of England squads over the past 12 months."

    Silverwood also provided an update on Stokes, adding: "Ben Stokes is making excellent progress following his fractured left index finger sustained last month in the Indian Premier League.

    "If he continues to improve without any impact on his rehabilitation, we could see him return next month for Durham in the Vitality Blast competition.

    "We will assess him again towards the end of this month."

    Archer had been ruled out on Sunday after a persistent elbow injury flared up again on his return to action for Sussex.

    "We need to get this resolved once and for all to give him the best chance of being fully fit as we build up to an intense winter, which will include a T20 World Cup and the Ashes," Silverwood said.

    "We need him firing in all formats of the game."


    England squad in full:

    Joe Root (captain), James Anderson, James Bracey, Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Zak Crawley, Ben Foakes, Dan Lawrence, Jack Leach, Craig Overton, Ollie Pope, Ollie Robinson, Dom Sibley, Olly Stone, Mark Wood.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.