India to play first day-night Test match in November

By Sports Desk October 29, 2019

India will play their first day-night Test against Bangladesh in a historic clash in Kolkata in November.

An announcement from the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) confirmed that the second match between the sides, scheduled for November 22-26, will be played under lights.

India's first pink-ball match comes four years after Australia and New Zealand played the maiden day-night Test in Adelaide.

"I'm pleased to announce that our long-term partner, the BCB, has graciously agreed to play a day-night Test match," BCCI president Sourav Ganguly said.

"This is the beginning of something special in Indian cricket ... for me, as [a] former captain of India and as the current president of the BCCI, Test cricket is of utmost priority and we, at the BCCI, will leave no stone unturned to bring this format back to its feet.

"In this effort of ours, day-night Test cricket is a huge step forward and we believe it will bring back the crowd into stadiums and [bring] a whole lot of young children to the sport.

"I am extremely honoured that the Eden Gardens will host the inaugural day-night Test match ... I thank the Bangladesh Cricket Board president Mr Nazmul Hassan and his team for accepting our request on such a short notice."

Hassan said that the BCB and BCCI "share a very long history of support, co-operation and friendship". 

The Test will follow the series opener in Indore that begins on November 14.

Bangladesh's tour of India will begin with Twenty20 clashes in Delhi, Rajkot and Nagpur on November 3, 7 and 10 respectively.

Day-night Test cricket has been only played in Australia, United Arab Emirates, England, South Africa, New Zealand and the West Indies.

Related items

  • Ball-crunching De Villiers likely to be part of South Africa squad to tour West Indies next month Ball-crunching De Villiers likely to be part of South Africa squad to tour West Indies next month

    Destructive batsman, AB De Villiers, could be part of the South African team booked for a tour to the West Indies next month, which was officially confirmed by Cricket South Africa (CSA) director of cricket Graeme Smith.

     After several months of negotiations, the teams are confirmed to play two Test matches and five Twenty20 Internationals.  The venue, which will be one country, due to existing coronavirus protocols, has not yet been announced.  Originally, it was believed the matches would be held in Trinidad and Tobago, but the country's fresh battle with a COVID-19 surge seems to have put that in doubt.

    De Villiers, who played in the Caribbean with the Barbados Tridents in 2016, has not played for the South African team since a Test match against Australia in 2018.  The player has, however, given repeated displays of his jaw-dropping hitting ability for the India Premier League (IPL) franchise Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB).

    It was last month that South Africa coach Mark Boucher suggested the big hitter could return to the South Africa line-up for the T20 World Cup, scheduled for India from October to November.  It could still be moved due to issues caused by an outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic.

    South Africa has not played in the West Indies since 2016.

  • 'Unfocused' Hetmyer a concern for Windies selectors 'Unfocused' Hetmyer a concern for Windies selectors

    Cricket West Indies (CWI) chief of selectors, Roger Harper, has admitted that there is some concern over the form of batsman Shimron Hetmyer after the player failed to secure a retainer contract.

    The 24-year-old explosive batsman has been previously heralded as one of West Indies cricket’s brightest prospects but has not been at his best in recent seasons.

    Hetmyer has not played a Test for the regional team since 2019, against Afghanistan, and has not played in a One Day International since January of last year, against Ireland.  In addition to that, the player has twice failed fitness tests during the period.

    The batsman missed out on the team’s tour of Sri Lanka in February of last year and then missed out on early selection for the squad this year, after failing another following the arrival of the Sri Lankans to tour the Caribbean.  Hetmyer subsequently passed a follow-up test.

    “I still think Shimron is the type of player that has the ability to be a world-class player in every format going forward,” Harper told members of the media via an online video chat on Thursday.

    “Naturally, when you have that sort of potential, we want to see it reach the kind of level that he is capable of reaching.  So, yes, we are concerned.  Yes, we will continue to work with Shimron and yes we will try to give the short of focus that we think is required for him to maximise his potential.”

    Despite losing out on his regional contract, Hetmyer, however, retains a franchise contract.

     

  • CWI expands contracted women players pool to 18 CWI expands contracted women players pool to 18

    Developing players Kaysia Schultz and Quiana Joseph are among 18 West Indies Women players offered retainer contract for the 2021-2022 season by Cricket West Indies (CWI).

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.