Ashes 2019: Burns looking forward to England 'getting their own back'

By Sports Desk August 15, 2019

Rory Burns had no concerns about tackling Australia's pace attack and is backing England's bowlers, including Jofra Archer, to strike back against the tourists on day three.

Burns' 53 was crucial to England on day two of the second Ashes Test at Lord's, with the hosts stumbling to 258 all out.

Jonny Bairstow also scored a half-century before being caught by Usman Khawaja - who squandered a great chance to dismiss Burns earlier in the day.

England finished the day on a high, Stuart Broad dismissing David Warner as Australia managed to get to 30-1 at stumps.

Broad's fellow opening bowler Archer - on his England Test debut - wasted little time in getting stuck into Australia's order, delivering several bouncers as the light faded.

Australia's pacemen had shown a similar lack of mercy earlier in proceedings, with Burns receiving rough treatment, while Pat Cummins struck Chris Woakes on the helmet.

But England's opener had few issues with facing such fierce bowling.

"[Feeling] pretty good. It’s always nice to get in a scrap a little bit," Burns told a news conference.

"I got two in the same spot, which was nice. I got in amongst it and tried to tough it out.

"It's quite an obvious tactic of what they can do. The boys are preparing for it and in this game we can dish out some of our own again."

Asked if he believed Archer would be targeting Australia's batsmen with short deliveries, Burns added: "I'd have thought so. He copped a fair few so he's probably looking forward to getting his own back."

Australia spinner Nathan Lyon, who took three wickets, is not especially relishing facing Archer.

"Mate, I can't bat. What do you reckon?" Lyon joked when asked about the prospect in his news conference.

"Even though I can't bat, I'll give it a go. Unless you want to do it for me!"

Related items

  • Kohli laments India's uncompetitiveness after first Test loss Kohli laments India's uncompetitiveness after first Test loss

    Virat Kohli lamented India's uncompetitiveness with the bat in the first innings of their comprehensive Test loss to New Zealand.

    The Black Caps secured their 100th Test victory on Monday, beating India by 10 wickets in Wellington in the series opener.

    India were bowled out for 165 in the first innings and 191 in the second and Kohli rued their initial effort at the Basin Reserve.

    "It was probably the toss that turned out to be very important, but at the same time as a batting unit I think we take a lot of pride in being competitive and we were just not competitive enough," India captain Kohli told Sky Sport.

    "I don't think we put their bowlers under enough pressure in the first innings. Anything over 220-230 then you're talking a different language and even the deficit looks much lesser if you get that score on the board and you get the last three batsmen out cheaper, which wasn't the case.

    "But I think that first innings really put us behind in the game already and then that lead obviously put us under a lot of pressure which was hard to come back from."

    India had New Zealand at 225-7 in their first innings, only for Kyle Jamieson (44), Colin de Grandhomme (43) and Trent Boult (38) to push the hosts to 348.

    Black Caps captain Kane Williamson was delighted with the victory, with Tim Southee grabbing a five-for in the second innings.

    "It was an outstanding effort over the space of four days and we know how strong this Indian team is all around the world," he said.

    "The efforts that went into that first innings to put the ball in the right area for long periods of time and I think that with the bat to get what was a very competitive total on a surface that I thought was a really good one that offered throughout the whole match, and the lower-order runs are really important to try and get a little bit of a lead.

    "As we saw that if you did pick up a wicket you could get a couple so an outstanding all-round team effort."

    The second and final Test starts in Christchurch on Saturday.

  • Southee claims five-for as New Zealand crush India in Test opener Southee claims five-for as New Zealand crush India in Test opener

    Tim Southee claimed a five-for to lead New Zealand to a 10-wicket humbling of India in the first Test on Monday.

    Southee grabbed his 10th five-wicket Test haul – only two men have earned more for the Black Caps – as New Zealand wrapped up the opening Test inside four days against the ICC's top-ranked team.

    Led by paceman Southee, New Zealand skittled touring India for just 191 early on day four and Tom Latham (7) and Tom Blundell (2) easily hit the winning nine runs.

    It was a milestone win for New Zealand after the Black Caps registered their 100th Test victory, becoming the seventh nation to reach the century mark in the longest format of the game, while ending a three-match losing run in the unlimited-overs game.

    India, who managed just 165 in the first innings as New Zealand posted 348, returned to the crease at 144-4 – still 39 runs adrift.

    In a commanding position, the Black Caps put India to the sword after Virat Kohli's visitors lost 47-6 during the morning session.

    New Zealand quick Trent Boult (4-39) set the tone with the dismissal of Ajinkya Rahane for 29, before Southee took centre stage at the Basin Reserve.

    India were helpless to stop Southee, who knocked over Hanuma Vihari's stumps for 15 the following over and Ravichandran Ashwin (4) was the next to go after being trapped lbw.

    Ishant Sharma (12) was also dismissed lbw by Colin de Grandhomme (1-28) before Southee cleaned up Rishabh Pant (25) and Jasprit Bumrah (0) within four deliveries.

    It left New Zealand chasing just nine runs and the home team cruised to a massive victory, snapping India's seven-match winning streak in Tests.

  • Sammy to be named honourary Pakistan citizen - former Windies skipper to receive country's top civilian award Sammy to be named honourary Pakistan citizen - former Windies skipper to receive country's top civilian award

    Former West Indies captain Darren Sammy is reportedly set to be named an honourary citizen of Pakistan.

    The 36-year-old allrounder has become a popular figure in the country, where he has captained Pakistan Super League (PSL) Peshawar Zalmi to the title.  The player has, however, been recognized for an even more important contribution and that is his prominent role in advocating for the return of international cricket to Pakistan.

    The country was blacklisted as a destination for international cricket in 2009 after a horrific attack on the Sri Lankan team bus outside the Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore.  International cricket, however, returned to the country in 2017, with Test cricket returning last year.

    Sammy was the first player to agree to tour Pakistan when the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) attempted to bring the PSL final to the country.

    When an ICC World XI was lined up to tour Pakistan for three T20Is in September 2017, it was Sammy who spoke as part of that squad to the other tourists as part of a security briefing.

    The idea of honourary citizenship was first broached by Javed Afridi, the owner of Peshawar Zalmi.  The PCB then followed up with the federal government and the honour was accepted.  Sammy will also receive the Nishan-e-Pakistan, the country's top civilian award, on March 23 in Islamabad.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.