Ashes 2019: Paine backs superb Lyon to play as 'long as he wants to'

By Sports Desk August 05, 2019

Tim Paine backed Nathan Lyon to keep bowling "as long as he wants to" after his star showing on day five of Australia's victory over England in the opening Ashes Test.

Steve Smith's second century of the match and three figures from Matthew Wade on Sunday meant England needed to bat out the day on Monday to avoid defeat at Edgbaston.

But the day-five conditions were perfect for a spinner of Lyon's quality and he took 6-49 to help dismiss the hosts for just 146.

In the process, Lyon became just the fourth Australian to rack up 350 Test wickets and captain Paine waxed lyrical about his quality.

"He could get plenty [of wickets] for as long as he wants to go for I reckon, he doesn't seem to have too many injuries or niggles over his career," he said. 

"The ball is coming out better than ever, he's a bit like Smithy [Steve Smith], every Test match or series they seem to get better – it's astonishing at their age. 

"If you see them train you see why, they're a great example to the group."

Steve Smith and David Warner were playing their first Test since their respective involvements in the Newlands ball-tampering scandal that shocked cricket last year.

And Paine welcomed having the experienced duo back in the dressing room.

"Yeah it certainly helps. As I said before the game those guys have played a lot more cricket in England than I have and more big tournaments and big series than I have," he added. 

"The same goes for all of our team, it's not only helping me with way they lead our group. We're all tapping into them whether captain, coach or batting coach.

"They have things they've learnt through experience that others don't know. We'd be foolish not to tap into that, they've still got a huge presence in our dressing room there's no doubt about that."

Related items

  • Kohli moves close to ICC ban with latest demerit point Kohli moves close to ICC ban with latest demerit point

    India captain Virat Kohli has been sanctioned by the International Cricket Council following his clash with South Africa's Beuran Hendricks during Sunday's third T20I.

    Kohli has received a demerit point and an official warning for an "inappropriate" shoulder contact with fast bowler Hendricks, who took 2-14 before South Africa prevailed by nine wickets in Bengaluru.

    This amounts to the 30-year-old being found guilty of a Level 1 breach of the ICC Code of Conduct

    Kohli has now committed three offences since the ICC introduced its revised code in September 2016, meaning he faces a ban if he errs similarly again.

    During last year's Test against South Africa at Centurion, he was fined 25 per cent of his match fee for his complaints to on-field umpire Michael Gough about the state of a damp ball – actions deemed "contrary to the spirit of the game".

    When India faced Afghanistan at the World Cup in June, Kohli was punished for "excessive appealing and charging aggressively towards the umpire".

    On both occasions, he was given a demerit point.

    Under the ICC code, demerit points remain on a player's disciplinary record for two years. If they accrue four or more points within a 24-month period they are converted into suspension points – meaning a ban is handed down.

  • Bairstow left out of England Test squad for New Zealand tour Bairstow left out of England Test squad for New Zealand tour

    Jonny Bairstow has been left out of England's Test squad for the tour of New Zealand in November.

    The Yorkshire batsman is in the 15-man Twenty20 group but misses out on the two-match series against the Black Caps, having failed to impress during the 2-2 Ashes draw with Australia on home soil.

    Dominic Sibley has won a first call-up after an exceptional County Championship with Warwickshire, alongside Matt Parkinson, Zak Crawley and Saqib Mahmood.

    Lancashire's Parkinson and Worcestershire seamer Pat Brown are included in the T20 squad for the first time, as is Tom Banton, who hit 549 runs for Somerset in the Vitality Blast.

    Injured trio James Anderson, Mark Wood and Olly Stone are left out, the former now working on being fit for the tour of South Africa, which starts in December.

    The two Tests against New Zealand, due to start on November 21 and 29, do not form part of the ICC World Test Championship.

    The five-match T20I series gets underway in Christchurch on November 1.

    England Test squad:

    Joe Root (captain), Jofra Archer, Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler, Zak Crawley, Sam Curran, Joe Denly, Jack Leach, Saqib Mahmood, Matt Parkinson, Ollie Pope, Dominic Sibley, Ben Stokes, Chris Woakes.

    England T20 squad:

    Eoin Morgan (captain), Jonny Bairstow, Tom Banton, Sam Billings, Pat Brown, Sam Curran, Tom Curran, Joe Denly, Lewis Gregory, Chris Jordan, Saqib Mahmood, Dawid Malan, Matt Parkinson, Adil Rashid, James Vince.

  • Folau to make Rugby League return with Tonga Folau to make Rugby League return with Tonga

    Israel Folau will return to Rugby League to play for Tonga after he was sacked by Rugby Australia for posts on social media.

    Folau had his contract terminated by Rugby Australia in April, with the 30-year-old - a devout Christian - having expressed views which breached the team's code of conduct on his official social media channels.

    He posted "hell awaits... drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists and idolaters".

    The Wallabies and club side New South Wales Waratahs sacked Folau in May.

    However, Folau - who in July opened court proceedings against his former employers - has now announced his return to rugby, albeit in a cross-code switch to League, the sport in which he made his name with NRL sides Melbourne Storm and Brisbane Broncos.

    Folau, if fit, will be in Tonga's squad for Tests against the Great Britain Lions in Hamilton on October 26 and the November 2 against Australia in the Oceania Cup.

    "I'm so grateful to have the opportunity to represent God, my family, my heritage and the people of Tonga," said Folau in a statement released by the Tongan National Rugby League.

    "I don't want to bring any of my personal matters into this and I am grateful that the RLIF [Rugby League International Federation] have endorsed my availability.

    "What I will do now is focus on playing great rugby league and do my talking on the field."

    Tonga have also confirmed Folau's brother John - who quit Super Rugby side the Waratahs earlier this year - has been called up.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.