Archer says Ashes talk can wait as he targets World Cup final glory with England

By Sports Desk July 12, 2019

Jofra Archer is putting all Ashes talk on hold until after England's Cricket World Cup final showdown with New Zealand on Sunday.

The fiery fast bowler was born in Barbados and only became eligible to play for England this year, yet already he looks like a player who could make a lasting impact across all formats.

With James Anderson and Stuart Broad in the twilight of their international careers, the prospect of another prolific wicket-taking paceman coming into the Test side holds obvious appeal.

England's selectors will consider options for the Ashes in the coming weeks, with the opener against Australia beginning on August 1 at Edgbaston.

Asked about his Ashes chances, Archer said: "After Sunday I can probably answer that, but now I'm just focusing on trying to win the final."

He has 19 wickets at the World Cup already, emerging as the team's number one strike bowler, but is taking the achievements and the focus on him in his stride.

"I'm just glad the team's doing well," Archer said. "I could be doing terribly but as long as the team's winning I'm all right."

England have found prime form at the right time, getting out of group-stage trouble with victories over India and New Zealand before throttling Australia by eight wickets in Thursday's semi-final at Edgbaston.

Archer has vowed to keep unleashing bouncers at batsmen after one sparky delivery banged Australia's Alex Carey on the helmet, causing a chin injury that required six stitches.

The 24-year-old Sussex quick said: "You don't always mean to hit them. You just try to bowl a bouncer because it can be a wicket-taking ball or a dot ball.

"When it hits them you feel a little bit bad for doing it, but it's cricket and I don't think he'll be the last person to get hit."

Archer and England departed Birmingham in high spirits, and with a Lord's appointment booked the tournament hosts will target one last major push.

A niggling side issue should not prevent Archer playing a full part in the showpiece match, although when asked about the problem he admitted it was still causing some discomfort.

"A little bit but I'll keep soldiering on," Archer said. "I've been like this for a few games now. It's not getting any worse so that's a good sign."

Archer took eight wickets for Sussex against Middlesex in a County Championship match at Lord's last year, and facing the same opponents at the same ground he bagged a T20 hat-trick that included the scalp of England skipper Eoin Morgan.

But Archer said memories of the stadium left him with "mixed feelings".

"Sometimes I do OK, sometimes I don't do as well as I would like," Archer said. "Hopefully on Sunday it goes England's way, not just my way but England's way."

Related items

  • Stokes apologises for language after 'unprofessional' reaction to fan Stokes apologises for language after 'unprofessional' reaction to fan

    Ben Stokes has issued a statement apologising for his choice of language after becoming engaged in a verbal altercation with a fan during the fourth Test with South Africa.

    The all-rounder was dismissed for two on the opening day at the Wanderers and was heard on a live broadcast aiming expletives at a spectator.

    After Friday's play, Stokes – who claimed to have been "subjected to repeated abuse" – took to Twitter to say sorry for his "unprofessional" reaction.

    "I wish to apologise for my language that was heard on the live broadcast today after my dismissal," he wrote. "I should not have reacted in that way.

    "As I was leaving the playing area, I was subjected to repeated abuse from the crowd. I admit that my reaction was unprofessional and I sincerely apologise for the language I used, especially to the many young fans watching the live telecast around the world.

    "Throughout the Tests so far, the support from both sets of fans (England and South Africa) has been brilliant. One incident will not ruin such a competitive series, which we are determined to win."

    It remains to be seen if officials will take any action against Stokes, who was one of four batsmen dismissed as England closed with 192 runs on the board.

    The tourists lead the four-match series 2-1.

  • England surpass 500,000 Test runs as South Africa stage late fightback England surpass 500,000 Test runs as South Africa stage late fightback

    England became the first team to score 500,000 Test runs on the first day of the fourth Test with South Africa, which saw the tourists' strong start curtailed by a final-session fightback from the Proteas.

    Joe Root's men were dealt a blow before winning the toss with the news that paceman Jofra Archer would be unable to play at the Wanderers because of elbow soreness.

    Having seen his side take command of the third Test in Port Elizabeth with a dominant first-innings batting display, Root elected to give his charges the same opportunity, and openers Zak Crawley and Dom Sibley laid an excellent foundation.

    Crawley was in fluent form as he scored his first half-century for his country but England slumped to 157-4 after the first-wicket stand of 107 was broken. 

    Root (25 not out) and Ollie Pope (22 not out) steadied the ship, the former seeing England to the half-a-million milestone as they reached 192-4 before bad light stopped play.

    After falling six runs short of a fifty at St George's Park, Crawley made no mistake in Johannesburg in a stylish innings that featured 11 boundaries, combining with Sibley for England's first century opening stand since December 2016.

    Crawley's maiden international 50 was brought up in more fortuitous fashion with a thick edge through point but Sibley, having successfully reviewed an lbw decision and been given a reprieve by a no-ball, was not so lucky.

    A centurion in the second match in Cape Town, Sibley was strangled down the leg side on 44 as Beuran Hendricks claimed a wicket on his Test debut.

    Vernon Philander then ensured he will end his final Test with a wicket as Crawley presented a simple catch to Rassie van der Dussen, who made another grab at slip to end a difficult 35-ball spell at the crease for Joe Denly (27).

    South African hopes of an England collapse were given a significant boost when talisman Ben Stokes fell to Anrich Nortje for just two, the all-rounder's attempt at a drive seeing him send another straight to Van der Dussen.

    Stokes was involved in a verbal altercation with a fan as he left the field but, while England will now have to wait to see if he faces any repercussions from that, in terms of the match their position was improved as Root and Pope provided stability.

    They did so in confident fashion. Root surpassed 7,500 Test runs with a pull through midwicket for four and his single through the covers took England to the historic 500,000 mark.

    The fading light saw the fifth-wicket partnership interrupted on 35 and, though England have plenty of batting to come, Root and Pope will know that stretching their stand well into day two will go a long way to sealing a 3-1 series victory.

  • Springboks appoint Erasmus' assistant Nienaber as head coach Springboks appoint Erasmus' assistant Nienaber as head coach

    South Africa have promoted Jacques Nienaber to replace Rassie Erasmus as head coach following their Rugby World Cup triumph.

    Erasmus reverted back to his position of director of rugby after the Springboks lifted the Webb Ellis Cup in Japan last November and will now oversee his former assistant Nienaber.

    Nienaber was named as Erasmus' successor on Friday in a South Africa statement that said the new coaching set-up is "heavily accented on continuity".

    Mzwandile Stick retains his position as assistant coach, with Felix Jones now a European-based coaching consultant.

    Deon Davids is the new forwards coach, while Bulls scrums coach Daan Human takes up the same role with the world champions and will also stay on with the Super Rugby franchise.

    Davids replaces Matt Proudfoot, who joined England's coaching staff this month.

    Nienaber described his delight at landing the top job.

    "This is a massive honour and responsibility, but I think I have a good understanding of what it entails, especially in this new structure," the 47-year-old said.

    "I've worked with Rassie in a coaching capacity for nearly two decades now and we have a very good idea of how each of us thinks, and as I'll still be reporting to him, our working relationship won't be changing.

    "It's a big step up for me in terms of carrying the day-to-day leadership role and there'll be other adjustments, but in many ways, it will also be business as usual.

    "We've built up a good culture over the past two years and we'll simply be looking to extend that."

    Erasmus stated: "Jacques is highly experienced and has worked with the Springboks on three separate occasions now so knows exactly what the job is about.

    "Jacques will be responsible for the Test match preparation and day-to-day team operations but, as the director of rugby, I will be with the team for the majority of the time and in the coaches' box with Jacques at matches."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.