Hope views failed World Cup campaign as learning experience

By July 04, 2019

 West Indies batsman Shai Hope said the team’s underwhelming performance at the ICC World Cup will be a learning experience for him and the other young members of the team that ended their campaign on Thursday with a 23-run over Afghanistan.

In the dead rubber played at Headingley, Hope top scored with an attractive 77 from 92 balls as the Caribbean side scored 311-6 from their 50 overs. They then bowled out their opponents for 288 to secure what was only their second win of the competition.

 Notwithstanding the obvious disappointment, Hope said he and his teammates learned important lessons from the experience.

 “It was definitely a learning experience,” said the Man-of-the-Match. “Something that I will never forget. Playing each team in this format, obviously, you have to be the better team on the day to progress in the tournament.

 “But having said that it was a wonderful learning experience. I definitely gained something from it. Hopefully, I and the other younger players in the team can use this and take it forward into their career.”

 In Thursday’s match, Hope shared a second-wicket stand of 88 with opener Evin Lewis – who made well-compiled 58 off 78 balls with six fours and two sixes.

 Later on, Nicholas Pooran made a superb 58 off just 43 balls to follow up his maiden century against Sri Lanka earlier in the week. The 23-year-old left-hander ended the tournament with 367 runs at an average of 52.4 per innings to be the team’s leading run scorer.

 It was also the final ICC Cricket World Cup match for the iconic Chris Gayle.

 The 39-year-old ended his fifth tournament and was cheered by the large crowd. Gayle only made seven but he made his mark with the ball, taking a crucial wicket while conceding less than five runs per over.

Carlos Brathwaite was the West Indies’ most successful bowler, ending with four wickets and was well supported by Kemar Roach who had his second three-wicket haul during the competition.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • 'Consistent' Cornwall ready to show progress - All-rounder primed for Test cricket challenge 'Consistent' Cornwall ready to show progress - All-rounder primed for Test cricket challenge

    Regional all-rounder Rahkeem Cornwall is confident of making an impact for the West Indies in the Test format, having performed consistently at the four-day format for several seasons.

    The selection of the 26-year-old Cornwall raised a few brows earlier this month, as many doubt the athlete’s physical conditioning for the longest format. 

    Regionally, however, there is very little doubting Cornwall’s record.  The all-rounder was the leading wicket-taker, with 54, in last season’s regional first-class tournament and followed that up with a haul of 23 wickets in List A and first-class games against England Lions earlier in 2018.  In the recent series against the touring India A, Cornwall took an impressive nine wickets in six matches.

    "I believe the Test format suits my game because of the consistency a player needs over a long period of time to be successful, and I've enjoyed that challenge so far in my career playing first-class cricket," Cornwall told the Cricket West Indies website.

    "The feeling [on getting called up] is great - it's something I've been pushing to achieve for a long time,” he added.

    "I've been putting in a lot of work over the last couple of months. I've always pushed myself. I feel I can go on and I think the on-field results I've achieved have shown the progress I'm making."

    If selected, Cornwall could make his debut against India when the series bowls off at the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium on Thursday.

  • Ashes 2019: Archer has shaken up series – Root Ashes 2019: Archer has shaken up series – Root

    Jofra Archer has shaken up the Ashes after living up to the hype on his Test debut, according to England captain Joe Root.

    An intriguing finish to the second Test at Lord's was in store when England declared on 258-5 in the second session, setting Australia 267 to win or bat out the final 48 overs for a draw on Sunday.

    It was the latter scenario which came to fruition as the tourists, missing Steve Smith because of the concussion he suffered following an Archer bouncer, batted out for a draw, meaning Tim Paine's side retained a 1-0 lead in the series.

    However, in Archer – who returned match figures of 5-91 from a heavy workload of 44 overs – England have fresh optimism heading into the third Test at Headingley, with Smith's availability for an encounter that begins on Thursday in "serious doubt".

    "He's come in and he really has made a massive impact, added a different dynamic to our bowling group," Root said at a news conference.

    "I think [he] has given Australia something different to think about so it's really pleasing to see someone come in on Test debut and really shake up things and live up to the hype, even some of the hype that he put on himself.

    "It's really pleasing to see and it makes for a very interesting last three games."

    It was one of Archer's rockets that clattered into Smith's neck and knocked Australia's talisman down on Saturday.

    Though Smith returned to complete his innings later that day, Australia announced on Sunday that he would play no further part at Lord's having shown concussion symptoms when he woke up.

    Smith's concussion replacement in their XI, Marnus Labuschagne, then copped another vicious delivery on the helmet grille from Archer, who had sent back David Warner and Usman Khawaja inside the opening six overs.

    Labuschagne survived that onslaught and went on to make a crucial 59, but Root feels Barbados-born seamer Archer can be instrumental as his side seek to retain the urn.

    "He makes things happen when not many others in world cricket can," Root added.

    "He's got such a unique action and way of bowling and natural pace which is always going to be in the game on any surface. When you've got that and the skill of the other guys around it, it makes for a tasty combination.

    "It will make them think about what way they're going to combat how he's going to come at them.

    "It's always nice when you're stood at slip and not batting against him. It's very different to the other options that we've had previously and have in this team, it's a different skill."

  • Ashes 2019: Paine hails Labuschagne as Australia claim draw to retain series advantage Ashes 2019: Paine hails Labuschagne as Australia claim draw to retain series advantage

    Australia captain Tim Paine lauded Marnus Labuschagne's commitment to the Ashes cause as Steve Smith's concussion replacement produced a gritty half-century in his side's draw with England.

    Paine's team were set 267 to win inside 48 overs on the final day at Lord's after the hosts declared on 258-5 following a century from Ben Stokes (115 not out).

    However, they were more concerned with batting out the day when Jofra Archer swiftly removed David Warner and Usman Khawaja to bring Labuschagne to the crease.

    The 25-year-old was only thrust into the action as the first concussion substitute in Test history after Smith withdrew having been struck on the neck on Saturday by a bouncer from Archer, who then delivered a 91.6 miles-per-hour rocket that flew into Labuschagne's helmet grille and knocked him to the ground.

    After receiving treatment on the field, Labuschagne went on to make a valuable 59, sharing an 85-run stand with Travis Head (42 not out) that took the game beyond England's reach – Australia eventually finishing with 154-6 to retain their 1-0 series lead.

    "[It was] really pleasing for us to see him do that, particularly after the second ball he copped," Paine, speaking to Sky Sports, said of Labuschagne. 

    "To get 150 kilometres per hour in the face and be able to stand up and play the way he did, for such a young player in Test cricket, was fantastic. Travis Head was the same."

    Smith had returned to bat on Saturday following assessment from Australia's medical staff, yet it was confirmed on the final day that he would play no further part in the Test having displayed concussion symptoms in the morning.

    Australia have said it is unlikely that their talismanic batsman will feature in the third Test, which begins at Headingley on Thursday.

    "He's okay," Paine revealed.

    "Obviously it was a really nasty knock. He felt okay yesterday and then, as concussions tend to be, [the symptoms were] delayed. He woke up, not feeling at his best today, so the decision was made to leave him out."

    Asked whether he was happy that Smith was able to return on Saturday, Paine added: "I'm no doctor but we've got some professionals behind the scenes that make those decisions.

    "Steve passed all his tests [on Saturday], was feeling okay. He deteriorated a little bit overnight, he retested, they weren't as good this morning so the medical professionals made that call.

    "He will need to improve [to play at Headingley], there's no doubt about that, but hopefully for our sake he does improve in the next few days."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.