World Cup hero, brutal Broad demolition - retiring Yuvraj Singh's career highlights

By Sports Desk June 10, 2019

Explosive India all-rounder Yuvraj Singh has given bowlers the world over nightmares in a magnificent career.

There would be more than a few who breathed a sigh of relief when the 37-year-old retired from international cricket on Monday.

Yuvraj has also decided to call time on his participation in the Indian Premier League, stating that he wants to "have some fun" playing without so much pressure on his shoulders.

We look back at some of the highlights of the clean-striking left-hander's career, which he resumed at the highest level after bravely winning a battle with cancer.

 

Maiden Test ton against Pakistan

Yuvraj scored a maiden Test century in only his third appearance in the longest format.

What made his brilliant knock of 112 extra special was that it came against fierce rivals Pakistan in Lahore back in April 2004.

He struck two sixes and 15 fours against an attack that was spearheaded by Shoaib Akhtar and although Pakistan won by nine wickets, Yuvraj had certainly announced himself on the Test stage.

 

Six sixes in an over en route to World T20 triumph

There will be no bowler with worse memories of charging in at Yuvraj than Stuart Broad.

The England paceman was hit for six sixes in an over by the India star at Kingsmead in the inaugural ICC World Twenty20 in South Africa 12 years ago.

Yuvraj brought up a brutal half-century in only 12 balls - a T20 international record that still stands - and India went on to win the title by beating Pakistan.

 

Inspires World Cup triumph on home soil

There was more international glory for India in 2011, thanks in no small part to Yuvraj.

He was named man of the tournament after inspiring a World Cup triumph in a showpiece that was stage in India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.

The Chandigarh native made a hundred against West Indies, four half-centuries and took 15 wickets, picking up four man-of-the-match awards in a tournament India won by beating Sri Lanka in the final in Mumbai.

 

Beats cancer to make 'emotional' India return

Yuvraj was diagnosed with cancer in the same year that he lifted the World Cup on home soil.

He completed three rounds of chemotherapy in the United States in 2012 and incredibly made an international comeback later in the year.

Yuvraj raced to a typically brisk 34 in a T20 encounter with New Zealand in September and described his return as "a big emotional moment".

 

Career-best demolition of England silences critics

Yuvraj's place in the India ODI side had been called into question before he silenced his critics with a vintage innings against England in Cuttack in 2017.

He smashed 150 from 127 deliveries, a career-best in the 50-over format, and MS Dhoni also cut loose as India racked up 381-6 and went on to win by 15 runs.

Yuvraj rolled back the years with an exhilarating masterclass, hitting three sixes and 21 fours.

Related items

  • Dhoni to be dropped for India, Windies tour - reports Dhoni to be dropped for India, Windies tour - reports

    India legend Mahendra Singh Dhoni is not expected to travel to the Caribbean for the team’s tour against the West Indies.

    According to reports, the team has opted to groom new wicketkeeper Rishabh Pant after Dhoni came under criticism for his performance during the ICC World Cup.

    “MS [Dhoni] will not go to the West Indies,” a source with knowledge of the situation told Times Now News said.

    “Going forward, he will not travel with the team within India or overseas as the first-choice wicketkeeper. Rishabh Pant will take over and there will be a grooming window for him until he settles down,” he added.

    “During this time, MS will help in the transition. For all you know, he could be part of the 15 but not part of the 11. This team needs a guiding hand on multiple fronts and wishing MS away is clearly unhealthy.”

    The tour will include 3 T20 Internationals, 3 ODIs and 2 test matches in the Caribbean.   The tour kicks off with the T20 internationals on August 3 and carries on until September 3, which marks the fifth day of the second test match.

  • Etzebeth to skipper Boks as Elstadt and Herschel Jantjies make bows Etzebeth to skipper Boks as Elstadt and Herschel Jantjies make bows

    South Africa will be led by Eben Etzebeth against Australia in their Rugby Championship opener, with two Test debutants in the Springboks' XV.

    Rassie Erasmus' men are without captain Siya Kolisi for Saturday's clash in Johannesburg as he recovers from a knee injury, meaning Etzebeth instead skippers the side.

    Meanwhile, Rynhardt Elstadt and Herschel Jantjies come into the starting line-up for their bows.

    Elstadt joins Pieter-Steph du Toit and Francois Louw in the back row, with Jantjies alongside namesake Elton in a halfback combination.

    Lizo Gqoboka, also uncapped and named among the replacements, is in line to make his first appearance for South Africa from the bench.

    Erasmus said: "We are excited for the forthcoming year and I want to congratulate Rynhardt, Herschel and Lizo on their first inclusion in a Springbok match-day squad, while the leadership role is not something new for Eben.

    "The build-up has been good and there is definitely a very good vibe for match.

    "Australia have prepared very well for this match and they have spent two weeks at altitude to acclimatise to the Highveld, so we are in for a great contest."

    Aphiwe Dyantyi's absence due to a hamstring injury had already been confirmed.

     

    South Africa XV to face Australia: Warrick Gelant, Sbu Nkosi, Jesse Kriel, Andre Esterhuizen, Makazole Mapimpi, Elton Jantjies, Herschel Jantjies; Tendai Mtawarira, Bongi Mbonambi, Trevor Nyakane, Eben Etzebeth, Lood de Jager, Rynhardt Elstadt, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Francois Louw.

    Replacements: Schalk Brits, Lizo Gqoboka, Vincent Koch, Marvin Orie, Marcell Coetzee, Cobus Reinach, Frans Steyn, Dillyn Leyds.

  • Gower backs Jason Roy Test call-up: He is a real talent Gower backs Jason Roy Test call-up: He is a real talent

    Former England captain David Gower supports the decision to hand Jason Roy a Test call-up with the Ashes looming.

    After starring at the top of the order in his country's victorious Cricket World Cup campaign, Roy was named in England's Test squad for the first time on Wednesday, as part of a 13-man party to face Ireland at Lord's next week.

    The 28-year-old Surrey batsman, who averages 38 in first-class cricket, now looks certain to open in the first Test against Australia, starting on August 1, having earned selection through his excellent form in limited-overs cricket.

    Gower told Omnisport: "Detractors will say that Jason Roy's first-class career has been nothing like his one-day international career. I put something out on Twitter weeks ago now saying 'the talent this man is, can we not adapt him to Test cricket?'

    "There are people like David Warner who have successfully become great Test players having been one-day players; there are people like Rohit Sharma who will never play a Test match for India again despite the fact he's just got five hundreds in the World Cup, so it doesn't work for everyone.

    "But we [England] don't have particularly great alternatives. My view is that if it works it will be fantastic. If it takes a while to get going, or if it takes him a while to learn the ropes of being a Test match player, then actually we're no worse off than we are at the moment.

    "I would happily endorse him as a real talent, who with a bit of luck and hard work could knuckle down to it."

    Fast bowler Jofra Archer - another standout member of England's victorious World Cup team - has also been tipped to play a role in the Ashes, although he will miss the Test against Ireland due to a side strain.

    "Again, Jofra is an extraordinary talent, he's a brilliant talent," added Gower, a member of the England team that reached the 1979 World Cup final.

    "While one would be careful maybe about his workload, as they are about all England's bowlers, which is only sensible, again he is such a beautiful raw talent that I would have him in the side."

     

    - David Gower is touring theatres in October and November with his sell-out show 'On The Front Foot'. Buy your tickets from www.david-gower.com.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.