England bowler Anderson facing tests on knee injury

By Sports Desk May 13, 2019

England bowler James Anderson will undergo tests on a knee injury sustained playing for Lancashire but coach Glen Chapple is confident there is "no proper damage".

Anderson was hit on the left knee by the ball after bowling a delivery to Hampshire's James Fuller during Sunday's Royal London One-Day Cup semi-final at Southampton.

England's record wicket-taker grimaced in pain but initially tried to complete his over only to pull out at the end of his run-up then leave the field of play.

Anderson, however, is expected to be fit to lead Joe Root's attack in the first Test of the 2019 Ashes against Australia on August 1 at Edgbaston. He is not involved in England's squad for the upcoming World Cup.

"Obviously it's a nasty blow on the inside of the knee, it's a painful area," Lancashire coach Chapple told BBC Sport. "I don't think we're certain but we're fairly confident it will just be a nasty bruise and it will settle down in a few days.

"First things first, he'll see the physio tomorrow morning [Monday] and he'll be able to tell. But as you saw, he walked off no problem and was nearly able to bowl.

"It is a bad spot and as soon as there's any swelling in there it's going to restrict movement and limit strength. I would imagine it will be very painful for a couple of days.

"A lot of us have had a blow in a similar area and it's just on the edge of the joint. I'm not an expert and can't be sure until things pan out, but I'm hopeful there's no proper damage."

Hampshire completed a four-wicket win to set up a Lord's clash with Somerset in the final.

Related items

  • Watling confident after missed opportunities cost Black Caps in Sri Lanka opener Watling confident after missed opportunities cost Black Caps in Sri Lanka opener

    New Zealand wicketkeeper BJ Watling believes the Black Caps can take plenty of positives into the second Test against Sri Lanka, despite a six-wicket defeat in the first match of the series.

    Dimuth Karunaratne scored a century in Galle to inspire Sri Lanka to a comfortable victory, ending a run of seven straight Test defeats to the Black Caps.

    Tom Latham's drop let Karunaratne off the hook early on day five, and though the hosts eventually lost their skipper when he edged Tim Southee behind, Sri Lanka had already done the bulk of the work in pursuit of their 268-run target.

    Watling, though, insists New Zealand played well in spells throughout the first Test, suggesting missed chances to dismiss Sri Lanka's key figures were crucial in deciding the outcome.

    "We're in a good space, we're very disappointed to have lost that match," Watling told a news conference ahead of the second Test in Colombo.

    "We'd got ourselves into a good position to win it and obviously, we let it slip a fraction. We felt like we played some pretty good cricket over the five days."

    "We lost some key phases of that game. We know it's tough to play in sub-continent conditions and then it'll all happen, and you can lose wickets.

    "It's about taking it that little bit deeper. We had a few good starts in the first innings and probably should have scored about 350 on that surface, but we let Sri Lanka back in the game and that cost us.

    "We bowled really well in the first innings and put them under a lot of pressure. Even in the second innings we missed a few chances that could have changed the game.

    "Our spinners bowled really well, asked a lot of good questions, but we didn't quite take those opportunities."

    Watling, who scored 77 in the second innings, added New Zealand cannot entirely blame themselves for the defeat.

    "Nobody is trying to drop a catch or miss anything. They were pretty tough chances. We have to give a lot of credit to Sri Lanka's batsmen, especially their opening partnership," he said.

    "They took it deep enough to win the Test match and hopefully we can look to make some more inroads into the top order and put the middle order under some more pressure."

    New Zealand captain Kane Williamson and Sri Lanka bowler Akila Dananjaya were both reported for suspect bowling actions in the first Test.

    They will undergo testing within 14 days from the reporting date - August 18 - though they are permitted to bowl in Colombo.

  • England centre Te'o joins Toulon to cover for World Cup absentees England centre Te'o joins Toulon to cover for World Cup absentees

    Ben Te'o has joined Toulon on a short-term deal after calling time on his spell with the Worcester Warriors.

    The 32-year-old New Zealand-born England international left Worcester in April, and was not included in Eddie Jones' 31-man squad for the upcoming World Cup.

    Top 14 side Toulon have now signed the free agent, who will provide cover for players leaving the French club to take part in the World Cup, which runs until September 20 to November 2.

    Te'o has signed for Toulon until November, with the club announcing the deal on Wednesday. The centre will undergo a medical on Friday.

    An 18-time England international and two-time British and Irish Lion, Te'o joined Worcester in 2016, after spending two years at Leinster.

    Toulon's fellow Top 14 sides Racing 92 and 2018-19 champions Toulouse had also been credited with an interest in the former NRL star.

  • Ashes 2019: Root urges England to 'jump on' third Test chance with Smith out Ashes 2019: Root urges England to 'jump on' third Test chance with Smith out

    Captain Joe Root says England must "jump on" the opportunity created by Steve Smith's absence for Australia in the third Ashes Test.

    Smith was inspirational in securing a 1-0 lead for Australia after two matches, but he will be missing from the third fixture at Headingley due to a concussion after taking a Jofra Archer bouncer to the neck last time out at Lord's.

    Archer was instrumental in England coming back into the series in the match, although the hosts ultimately settled for a draw.

    Root wants to see Archer impress again as he compared Smith's absence to when England's all-time leading Test wicket-taker James Anderson hobbled out of the series opener.

    "When you're playing someone of his quality, you're looking for a number of different ways to get him out," Root said of Archer's approach to trying to dismiss Smith.

    "I felt the way that Jofra bowled in that spell made for great cricket. It's great to be on the field to be a part of that. We felt like we were creating chances all the time.

    "But you never want to see someone go off injured like that, you never want to see someone be walked off the field and for him to miss this game.

    "There was a lot of concern in our dressing room for his health. It's great to see that he's actually up and about and he's fine and looks as though he's happy within himself.

    "It's very unfortunate on their part. We had the challenge of Jimmy [Anderson] going down four overs into a Test match and had to manage that without a replacement.

    "You get these swings within a big series like this, every now and again, and when you get your opportunity, you've got to jump on it.

    "They'll be huge shoes to fill for whoever comes in for him in Australia's batting line-up and we've got to make sure that we keep trying to exploit these techniques on these wickets."

    Asked if Australia, led by Pat Cummins, might match Archer's aggressive assault on batsmen, Root replied: "We'll see. Those are things you have to manage within the game.

    "I feel like the guys know what type of bowling [Cummins] is capable of doing. We've seen him do that before in Test cricket. It's just about managing the situation when you face it.

    "If he does go to that and the conditions suit pitching it up and swinging it, and it plays into our favour, we'll have to wait and see."

    England have had their own concussion issue to deal with this week, with Jason Roy set for a final assessment on Thursday after passing an initial examination.

    Ollie Pope has been called in as cover and would likely come in at number four, with Joe Denly moving up to replace opener Roy.

    Root would not confirm the England XI regardless of Roy's fitness, as Sam Curran remains in contention after again being included in a 12-man squad.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.