Ton-derful timing! England hopeful Hameed back in the runs for Lancashire

By Sports Desk April 12, 2019

Haseeb Hameed made his first County Championship century since 2016 to boost his hopes of earning an England recall for this year's Ashes.

The batsman was horribly out of form last season, averaging 9.7 as Lancashire suffered relegation in first-class cricket, but followed up a recent double century against Loughborough MCCU by passing three figures against Middlesex in his county's first Division Two fixture of 2019.

Hameed, who made his England debut in India in November 2016 aged 19 but suffered a finger injury in his third Test appearance, reached the milestone with a pulled six off paceman Toby Roland-Jones.

But the 22-year-old was dismissed for 117, caught and bowled by Dawid Malan after leading Lancashire towards a first-innings lead at Lord's.

Keaton Jennings, another England opener aiming to earn an Ashes chance this year, made 52 in a 123-run partnership with Hameed for the first wicket.

Related items

  • Australia opener Burns leaves Lancashire for personal reasons Australia opener Burns leaves Lancashire for personal reasons

    Australia opener Joe Burns has ended his spell with Lancashire for personal reasons after playing just one game for the county.

    The batsman was due to be available for 10 County Championship Division Two matches before doing battle with England in the Ashes.

    But on Monday Lancashire revealed that Burns is heading back to his homeland soon after arriving at the club.

    Burns last month expressed his disappointment at not being selected for the Australia A tour of England in July.

    Lancashire have replaced the 29-year-old with his compatriot Jake Lehmann for the match against Worcestershire this week.

    Lehmann played in four One-Day Cup matches for the Red Rose this month.

    England's leading Test wicket-taker James Anderson was selected to face the Pears after recovering from a nasty blow to his left knee.

  • Folau opts not to appeal against Rugby Australia ban, still considering options Folau opts not to appeal against Rugby Australia ban, still considering options

    Israel Folau has declined the option to appeal against his Rugby Australia (RA) ban, but is still considering his options after his contract was terminated last week.

    The 30-year-old was sacked by RA on Friday following a hearing over his anti-homosexual social media post last month, in which Folau, a devout Christian, uploaded an image on Instagram that said "hell awaits drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists and idolators".

    Folau, who had been warned by RA for similar comments last year, was found guilty of a "high-level breach" of the governing body's code of conduct and RA confirmed on Monday that the former Wallabies and Waratahs star had not appealed.

    "The 72-hour window for Israel Folau to appeal his high-level code of conduct breach and sanction has expired," RA said in a statement.

    "As Folau has not notified the panel of his intention to appeal, the code of conduct process has now formally concluded.

    "With the code of conduct matter complete, Folau's employment contract will be terminated."

    However, Folau issued a statement of his own that was widely circulated in the Australian media on Monday in which it was noted that he was "considering all potential avenues" with regards to further action against RA's decision.

    "The last few weeks and, in particular, the last 72 hours have given me considerable opportunity to reflect and think about my future," he said.

    "I will not be exercising my right to appeal Rugby Australia's decision to terminate my employment contract."

    He added: "My decision not to commence Rugby Australia's appeal process is in no way an acceptance of the judicial panel's findings.

    "I simply do not have confidence in Rugby Australia's ability to treat me fairly or lawfully throughout this process."

    Folau, who has made 73 appearances for Australia, had previously said he would be willing to walk away from the sport but added in his statement: "I believe I still have a lot of rugby left in me."

  • Arthur 'very confident' in Pakistan CWC hopes despite losing streak Arthur 'very confident' in Pakistan CWC hopes despite losing streak

    Pakistan head coach Mickey Arthur is convinced his side can shine at the Cricket World Cup, even though they will head into the tournament on the back of 10 successive ODI losses.

    A 54-run defeat at Headingley on Sunday condemned Pakistan to a 4-0 series reverse at the hands of England, the World Cup hosts.

    However, Arthur was determined to remain upbeat after seeing his side post scores of 361-7, 358-9, 340-7 and 297, only to be out-gunned by a prolific home batting line-up.

    "We sit here having taken a huge amount of positives out of this series," said Arthur. "I thought we batted extremely well. Our bowling has been average at best and our fielding has been average at best but we've batted fairly well.

    "The other thing is we've played against a team who are number one in the world in their own conditions. I know there's not too many teams who will arrive in England as prepared as we are in terms of the competition we've played against and match fitness.

    "We've got a couple of days now to regroup, two warm-up games and then we'll go. I'm very, very confident with the players we've got. We need to sharpen up on a couple of disciplines but we'll certainly get there. We'll be good."

    Asked to outline his expectations for the World Cup, Arthur added: "All I know is that the players are very, very determined to do well. Every time they go out there they play for 210 million people.

    "We all take defeat in a disappointing way, as our supporter base do. The players are good. Come the first game against the West Indies [on May 31], we'll be ready. I'm as confident that we'll do well as I've ever been."

    Arthur, who confirmed paceman Mohammad Amir is available for World Cup selection after missing the England series through illness, acknowledged Pakistan have to improve significantly in the field.

    "It's been very disappointing. I think that's been the massive difference between the two sides," he added.

    "That's a real worry for me because we are putting a hell of a lot of effort into it and there's not a massive amount of reward for us there at the moment. We'll just keep knocking away at it though, just to make sure we get it up to speed.

    "Fielding is about attitude and wanting to get out there and get it done. Our boys' attitude has been outstanding through this series and for the years before. They know where they are short, they know they've been short in this department and they are not happy about it. They are working damn hard at it."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.