Cook excited to watch Vince, Jennings and Roy battle for opening spot

By Sports Desk April 02, 2019

Alastair Cook says the battle to become England's first-choice opener is wide open ahead of the Ashes, with James Vince, Jason Roy and Keaton Jennings all in contention.

England have been unable to settle on a reliable opening pair since Andrew Strauss' retirement in 2012, with Cook having a string of partners in the years that followed.

Jennings was one of the many to try their hand alongside Cook and following the latter's retirement last year England again began to assess their options.

In the West Indies only Rory Burns opened in all three Tests, with Jennings partnering him in two and Joe Denly in the other.

None of them averaged more than 30, though, and the make-up of England's top order remains uncertain heading into the Ashes, beginning on August 1.

Vince will open for Hampshire in a bid to boost his chances, while Roy has also expressed a desire to be given the nod against Australia, though a hamstring injury may have damaged his hopes.

Cook believes all three have the quality to force their way in and is relishing watching the battle unfold.

"It's very exciting for anyone out there, the top order hasn't been settled for England for a while and there are places up for grabs," he told Sky Sports. 

"Any player, with such a big summer ahead with the World Cup and Ashes, has such an opportunity. If you have a good year you can make a name for yourself.

"I haven't seen much of Jason playing four-day cricket, we've all seen what he can do in white-ball stuff and it is – in one way – a very similar game. 

"You can see he can handle himself in international cricket, he's a fantastic strokemaker. He hasn't batted a huge amount at the top of the order for Surrey so that's a bit of a concern in one way but he's so talented."

Cook added: "Obviously now [Vince's] opening for Hampshire, going up the order, I think it's a fantastic opportunity for him.

"Vincey is a brilliant cricketer, a brilliant batter, one I love watching bat. The amount of time he's got playing against pace bowling, he got a fantastic 80 [against Australia] in Brisbane, a real high-pressure situation, so he can do it as well.

"Keats [Jennings] is a great guy, a great batter who's experienced everything in Test cricket in such a short space of time. A hundred on debut, a hundred in Sri Lanka and then some tough moments back at home in English conditions. 

"He'll be like anyone, desperate to score runs for Lancashire, desperate for some form and to make the call for the selectors very hard. 

"No one's nailed a place and no one can say they are a shoe-in for that top three, so it's all to play for."

Related items

  • Ashes 2019: Paine backs Warner to excel without Smith in third Test Ashes 2019: Paine backs Warner to excel without Smith in third Test

    Tim Paine expects to see "the very best David Warner" in the third Ashes Test, believing the opener will thrive with the responsibility that comes with Steve Smith's absence.

    Australia star Warner has endured a dismal series so far in England as he returns to Test cricket following a 12-month ban for his role in the team's ball-tampering scandal.

    The 32-year-old has made just two, eight, three and five in his four Ashes innings as Smith, who was also suspended for a year, has done the heavy lifting to give the tourists a 1-0 series lead.

    But Smith will be missing at Headingley this week due to the concussion suffered when he took a Jofra Archer bouncer to the neck in the second match at Lord's.

    Warner, a senior figure, is among those under pressure to step up, and captain Paine foresees him doing exactly that.

    "I'm very confident [Warner will return to form]," Paine said. "I've spoken a lot about the fact he averages close to 50 in Test cricket [46.9] and he's done that over a long period of time.

    "I think with Steve missing this game, it might be the little poke and prod that Davey needs. He likes that responsibility.

    "And my experience with Davey is that, when people doubt him and his back is against the wall, he comes out swinging. I'm expecting the very best David Warner this week."

  • England set for 2020 limited-overs series with Australia England set for 2020 limited-overs series with Australia

    England have confirmed their home international schedule for 2020, with Australia, West Indies and Pakistan set to tour the country.

    Australia lead the Ashes 1-0 after the first two Tests and will return to England for a pair of limited-overs series next year.

    They will face England in Twenty20 matches at Durham, Old Trafford and Headingley. Those will be followed by a trio of ODIs at Lord's, Southampton and Bristol.

    The series will mark the first white-ball matches between England and Australia since Eoin Morgan's men beat the old enemy in the semi-finals of their victorious Cricket World Cup campaign.

    England open their home 2020 season with a three-Test series against West Indies starting on June 4 at The Oval. West Indies beat England 2-1 in the Caribbean this year, with Joe Root's men having won by the same scoreline on their own patch in 2017.

    The six matches against Australia follow before England take on Pakistan in three Tests, which begin at Lord's on July 30.

    With the T20 World Cup kicking off in October 2020, a subsequent three-game series with Pakistan in that format should serve as valuable preparation for the tournament.

    England round off their home schedule for the year with three ODIs against Ireland, the first taking place on September 10 at Trent Bridge. That series forms part of the new World Cup Super League, which will serve as the main route to qualification for the 2023 World Cup in India.

  • Ashes 2019: Roy to have final assessment after passing concussion Test Ashes 2019: Roy to have final assessment after passing concussion Test

    Jason Roy passed a concussion test but will be assessed again on Thursday ahead of the start of the third Ashes match.

    The England opener was struck on the side of the neck while batting in the nets at Headingley on Tuesday.

    He came through his concussion examination on Wednesday but England will wait until the day of the start of the Test before making a decision on his participation.

    Australia star Steve Smith, the leading run scorer in the series, has been ruled out of the meeting with a concussion suffered when he was struck by a Jofra Archer bouncer in the drawn second Test at Lord's.

    Roy played an instrumental role in England's triumphant Cricket World Cup campaign but has struggled on his first foray into red-ball cricket.

    He scored 72 in the second innings in England's win over Ireland in July, but Roy has just 40 runs to his name in the Ashes and contributed only two at Lord's.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.