Arthur: In-form Australia can win World Cup

By Sports Desk March 31, 2019

Pakistan head coach Mickey Arthur believes Australia are "definitely" capable of winning the Cricket World Cup following their one-day international series sweep.

Australia completed a 5-0 whitewash of Arthur's Pakistan thanks to Sunday's 20-run victory in the fifth and final ODI in Dubai.

Usman Khawaja (98), captain Aaron Finch (53), Shaun Marsh (61) and Glenn Maxwell (70) starred as Australia reached 327-7, with Pakistan limited to 307-7 from their 50 overs.

Australia have now won eight consecutive ODI matches and Arthur backed his former team to make a splash at the World Cup, which gets underway in May.

"I definitely think they are [capable of winning the World Cup]. They're travelling really well," Arthur said. "All the final jigsaw parts are coming together nicely.

"Australia look a very, very good side They will be a threat at the World Cup ... I think there's up to seven teams that can win the World Cup."

Steve Smith and David Warner are available for selection having served 12-month bans for their roles in last year's ball-tampering scandal.

Pat Cummins has been rested ahead of the showpiece tournament, while fellow paceman Mitchell Starc is hoping to be fit.

"You get Warner and Smith back, you put Starc and Cummins back into that line-up. It's pretty formidable," added Arthur, whose Pakistan were led by Haris Sohail's century.

Related items

  • Inzamam to step down as Pakistan selector Inzamam to step down as Pakistan selector

    Inzamam-ul-Haq will step down as Pakistan's chief selector when his contract expires at the end of the month, he has announced.

    The former batting great took on the role in 2016 after quitting as Afghanistan coach, overseeing success in the 2017 ICC Champions Trophy.

    However, Inzamam has decided to move on following Pakistan's unsuccessful Cricket World Cup campaign, which saw them fall just short of the semi-finals.

    "After more than three years as chair of the Pakistan men's selection committee, I have decided not to seek a renewal of my contract," he told a news conference.

    "With the ICC World Test Championship, due to get underway in September, the ICC T20 World Cup in 2020 and the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup 2023, I believe it is the right time for the Pakistan Cricket Board to appoint a new chief selector who can bring new ideas and fresh thinking.

    "I spoke to PCB chairman Ehsan Mani and managing director Wasim Khan on Monday and conveyed my decision to them separately.

    "I also thanked them for backing and supporting the selection committee since taking over the reins of Pakistan cricket.

    "The Pakistan cricket team has come a long way since the departures of stalwarts like Misbah-ul-Haq and Younus Khan in May 2017 and is now destined for improved results as the youngsters have grown in experience and stature.

    "They are now ready to excel and perform consistently across the three formats."

    As well as backing Pakistan to enjoy success in his absence, Inzamam also acknowledged he may have made mistakes during his time in charge.

    "It has been a pleasure to see these players grow and make names for themselves in international cricket," he said.

    "I will follow their progress with interest because I firmly believe these players have all the ingredients to take the Pakistan cricket team to greater heights.

    "The team could have performed better during my time than the results reflect and I may have inadvertently overlooked some potentially deserving players, but I have always had the best interests of Pakistan cricket foremost in my heart.

    "I hope the passionate Pakistan cricket fans will understand and can see this in my decisions."

  • How Trevor Bayliss kept England focused for World Cup finals How Trevor Bayliss kept England focused for World Cup finals
  • Australia paper loses appeal against Gayle - must pay Windies star $200k Australia paper loses appeal against Gayle - must pay Windies star $200k

    An Australia court has thrown out an appeal by media group Fairfax, which would have annulled damages owed to Windies star Chris Gayle who won a defamation suit against the entity last year.

    Gayle took the publishers to court after allegations that he exposed himself to a female masseuse during the 2015 World Cup came out in several of its publications.  More specifically, it was alleged that the batsman exposed his penis and indecently propositioned the woman in a dressing room during the tournament.

    The jury sided with the player, who strongly denied the allegations, in finding that the publishers acted with malice and accorded the cricketer damages amounting to US$211,000.  In its appeal, however, Fairfax argued that the jury should have been discharged after Gayle’s attorney attacked the credibility of the masseuse.  In response, the player’s legal team had appealed to increase the size of the payout to the West Indian star. Both appeals were dismissed.

     Fairfax newspapers are now owned by commercial broadcaster Nine Entertainment, which purchased the media company last year.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.