Bangladesh players 'very lucky' to avoid Christchurch massacre

By Sports Desk March 15, 2019

Team manager Khaled Mashud said Bangladesh players and staff were "very lucky" to escape unharmed as they were "three or four minutes" away from being inside a mosque where a terror attack unfolded on Friday.

Mass shootings at two Christchurch mosques resulted in 49 people being killed and 48 injured.

Mashud revealed that the majority of the tourists' squad were inside a bus outside the Al Noor mosque while a massacre took place and saw "bloodstained people staggering out".

He is quoted as saying by ESPNcricinfo. "This was a kind of accident that we would never expect nor want in any part of the world.

"We are very lucky because we had a number of us, about 17 of us, in the bus. Soumya Sarkar was also there, and we were all heading to the mosque for prayers.

"Only two of the players [Liton Das and Nayeem Hasan, as well as spin-bowling coach Sunil Joshi] had stayed back in the hotel, and rest of the squad had gone there. We were very close to the mosque, and we could see from the bus. We must have been about 50 yards from the mosque.

"I would say we were really lucky. Had we reached even three or four minutes earlier, we probably would have been inside the mosque. This could then have been a massive incident.

"We are very thankful that we weren't caught in the crossfire, but what we saw was straight out of a movie scene. We could see bloodstained people staggering out of the mosque.

"Maybe in about eight-ten minutes, we were all inside the bus and were sitting with our heads bowed, just in case someone fires at us."

The third and final Test at Hagley Oval - which was due to start on Saturday - was called off following the attacks and the Bangladesh squad will fly home as soon as possible.

Mashud said the players and staff ran through Hagley Park to the ground after being allowed to get off the bus.

He added: "When we realised that the shooters could have inflicted more damage if they had found us inside the bus all at once, we took a collective decision to escape through the back gate.

"We ran or quickly walked out through that gate. Then we were in the dressing room, and the local liaison people explained to us how we could get out of there most safely to our hotel.

"It wasn't their fault, they tried their best according to whatever they are used to in their culture. Our players supported them a lot, with inputs on what was needed at that point of time.

"Our decision to get out was timely, because in videos we saw that people came out and kept shooting later."

Related items

  • Nikita Miller looks to poor club competition for answers to woeful Scorpions Nikita Miller looks to poor club competition for answers to woeful Scorpions

    Former Jamaica Scorpions skipper, the recently retired Nikita Miller, believes the Scorpions’ woes in the West Indies Championship stem from poor club seasons. 

  • Wigan won't hold Edwards to deal 'cemented by a handshake' Wigan won't hold Edwards to deal 'cemented by a handshake'

    Wigan Warriors say they will not stand in Shaun Edwards' way should he renege on an agreement to become the Super League champions' head coach in 2020.

    Edwards agreed to take over at the club last year, with his time as Wales' defence coach set to come to an end following the 2019 Rugby World Cup.

    However, the Wigan legend caused confusion after Wales wrapped up the Six Nations Grand Slam with victory over Ireland at the weekend, claiming his future was up in the air.

    Warriors chairman Ian Lenagan has confirmed that no contract was signed at the time of Edwards' announcement and that the move to Wigan was "cemented by a handshake".

    Wigan now say they will accept whatever decision Edwards - linked with a return to Wasps - comes to.

    "Wigan Warriors Rugby League Club's position is that it has an oral agreement with Shaun Edwards to become head coach from 2020, cemented by a handshake and announced publicly in a press conference by both parties in August 2018," said Lenagan.

    "I take full responsibility for including the mention of a signed contract in Wigan's press release at the time of Shaun's appointment. I have done business on many occasions on the basis of an oral agreement over a handshake.

    "Shaun and I have known each other for a long time, have great respect for each other and share a passion for all things Wigan – of course the main focus for that being Wigan Warriors and its supporters.

    "Following the announcement of his appointment we agreed not to distract Shaun, at his request, in any way throughout the Six Nations.

    "With Wales' emphatic victory in Cardiff at the weekend, it is understandable why their coaching team have become so desirable throughout world rugby and Shaun is obviously an integral part of that.

    "Rather than debating the merits and legalities of an oral or written agreement, I have had constructive dialogue with Shaun this week to make it clear that, despite our desire for him to take up the Wigan Warriors head coach role as agreed, we would not attempt to hold Shaun to any agreement - disputed or otherwise - if he now preferred to take up a different option.

    "During our conversations, Shaun asked for more time to consider his options. I agreed to his request and fully understand his reasons for doing so.

    "It is obvious we need to clear up this situation as quickly as possible in a dignified manner for the best interests of Wigan Warriors and Shaun.

    "It is proving to be a difficult and emotive situation for us all to navigate, but I am determined to provide our loyal fans with the clarity they deserve once Shaun has come to his decision. We will support whatever decision he reaches."

  • Yorkshire dismiss Smith rumours Yorkshire dismiss Smith rumours

    Yorkshire have rejected reports they could sign former Australia captain Steve Smith as their overseas player for the first half of the 2019 season.

    Smith is currently serving the final weeks of his 12-month ban from all cricket for his involvement in the ball-tampering scandal that rocked Australian cricket in 2018.

    The 29-year-old was banned along with David Warner and Cameron Bancroft following the incident at Newlands, with the latter having already returned from his nine-month suspension.

    Smith and Warner will be free to restart their careers at the end of March, and a stint in county cricket had been mooted for the former skipper.

    However, Yorkshire have distanced themselves from talk of a move for Smith, with coach Andrew Gale telling the county's official website there was "no interest" in signing the batsman.

    Smith is thought to be keen on playing four-day cricket in England ahead of this year's Ashes to try and regain his form.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.