ICC backs Test cancellation after Christchurch terror attacks

By Sports Desk March 15, 2019

The International Cricket Council (ICC) has backed the decision to call off the third Test between New Zealand and Bangladesh following the mass shootings in Christchurch.

Bangladesh players narrowly escaped one of the two terror attacks at mosques which resulted in multiple fatalities on Friday.

Tigers team manager Khaled Mashud said members of the team and staff were "about 50 yards" from one of the mosques where a massacre unfolded.

The Black Caps and the Tigers were due to start the third and final match of the series at Hagley Oval on Saturday, but it was agreed that the game will not go ahead and the tourists will fly home as soon as possible.

ICC chief executive David Richardson said: "Our thoughts and sincere condolences go out to the families and friends of those affected by this horrendous incident in Christchurch.

"Both teams, staff and match officials are safe and the ICC fully supports the decision to cancel the Test match."

The two remaining fixtures between the New Zealand Development team and Australia's Under-19 women's team that were due to take place at Lincoln's Bert Sutcliffe Oval this weekend have also been cancelled.

"We are shocked and appalled as I am sure all New Zealanders are,” New Zealand Cricket Chief Executive David White said.

"We are offering support to all those within the teams affected by the situation and are continuing to take advice from authorities on the ground."

 

Related items

  • Bravo leaving Knight Riders for Tridents Bravo leaving Knight Riders for Tridents

    Veteran Windies all-rounder Dwayne Bravo will leave the Trinbago Knight Riders for the Barbados Tridents ahead of the 2019 Hero Caribbean Premier League (CPL).

    According to reports, the 35-year-old former franchise captain will leave the club after five seasons to become the top pick for the Tridents in the CPL draft on Wednesday.  The Barbadian franchise is accepted to sign the T&T-born player for US$160,000.

    Bravo, who won three titles in the CPL titles in the red gear of T&T, made the announcement via social media on Tuesday.  Two weeks ago it was announced that Kieron Pollard, who spent several years with the Barbados Tridents, before moving to St Kitts and Nevis Patriots last year.  The Tridents are now owned by the USA-based CMG Companies (CMG) leads a team of local and international investors in the acquisition of the cricket franchise in Barbados. 

    The Trinbago Knight Riders captured the team’s third title last year, while the Tridents had their worse ever showing finishing bottom of the table, having won two and lost eight of their 10 games played.

  • Winning the World Cup is Gayle's only objective Winning the World Cup is Gayle's only objective

    West Indies vice-captain Chris Gayle said his only focus is trying to win the World Cup, as he has nothing to prove.

  • Sri Lanka end ODI winless streak in Edinburgh Sri Lanka end ODI winless streak in Edinburgh

    Sri Lanka recorded a timely one-day international victory ahead of the Cricket World Cup as they beat Scotland in a rain-affected contest to end a seven-month winless run in the format.

    Since beating England in a dead rubber in Colombo last October, Sri Lanka had suffered 3-0 and 5-0 whitewashes to New Zealand and South Africa respectively before arriving in Scotland for a two-match series, with the first game abandoned last weekend.

    The weather played a part again at the Grange on Tuesday, but the Sri Lankans were still able to record a morale-boosting 35-run victory on the Duckworth-Lewis-Stern method.

    Their top three - Avishka Fernando (74), captain Dimuth Karunaratne (77) and Kusal Mendis (66) - were all able to record half-centuries as they made 322-8 before Scotland were bowled out for 199 chasing a revised target of 235, seamer Nuwan Pradeep taking 4-34.

    Fernando, who made his maiden ODI half-century, and Karunaratne, who made his second - eight years after his first against the same opponent - put on 123 for the first wicket, though Sri Lanka's skipper survived three chances before reaching the milestone.

    The tourists were 204-2 in the 34th over when Karunaratne was finally dismissed and despite Mendis' fine contribution and Lahiru Thirimanne's 44 not out, a flurry of middle-order wickets prevented the final total from being greater.

    Scotland's reply was punctuated by the elements, though both Matthew Cross (55) and George Munsey (61) made half-centuries, and they lost their last seven wickets for just 46 runs having been forced off for 90 minutes due to rain.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.