Handscomb lauds 'freak' Maxwell after blistering century to down India

By Sports Desk February 27, 2019

Glenn Maxwell was described as "a freak" by Peter Handscomb after his stunning unbeaten century guided Australia home against India in Wednesday's second Twenty20.

Chasing 191 for victory in Bengaluru, Australia were toiling at 22-2 when Maxwell walked in, and what followed was one of the finest T20 knocks ever seen.

Maxwell hammered 113 off only 55 balls, including seven fours and nine sixes, to secure victory by seven wickets in the final over and hand the tourists a 2-0 series success, backing up the 56 he made in Sunday's last-ball thriller.

Handscomb contributed 20 not out off 18 deliveries in a match-winning stand of 99 and afterwards paid tribute to his team-mate's sensational innings.

"I just tried to get Maxy on strike, that was the plan, and it was great to be there until the end," he said. "We wanted to make sure there's an in batter at the end, and it was the batters' job to complete the job.

"He is a freak, he can play shots other people can't, and he's really matured now. It was just a pleasure being at the other end."

Maxwell added: "It was a pretty good wicket, so we were able to wait for anything slightly off line or length. We just needed to get it to about 11 or 12 an over for the last four overs, and back ourselves from there. After D'Arcy [Short]'s dismissal it was up to me to sit around and drive the innings forward.

"Pete Handscomb did a great job of getting off strike and being busy. We were able to keep consistently having good overs and keep the [required] run rate in check.

"We were just talking about how we haven't had a lot of success here. To come and perform as well as we have in these two T20s, it's a great start to this tour."

Losing captain Virat Kohli, meanwhile, conceded there was little his side could have done to stymie Maxwell in that sort of form.

"Australia outplayed us in both games, they were more clinical with bat, ball and on the field," said Kohli, who struck six sixes in his thrilling 38-ball 72.

"We put up a decent total, 190 is a good score on any ground, but there was too much dew around, and when Maxy plays an innings like that, you can't do too much."

Related items

  • Etzebeth to skipper Boks as Elstadt and Herschel Jantjies make bows Etzebeth to skipper Boks as Elstadt and Herschel Jantjies make bows

    South Africa will be led by Eben Etzebeth against Australia in their Rugby Championship opener, with two Test debutants in the Springboks' XV.

    Rassie Erasmus' men are without captain Siya Kolisi for Saturday's clash in Johannesburg as he recovers from a knee injury, meaning Etzebeth instead skippers the side.

    Meanwhile, Rynhardt Elstadt and Herschel Jantjies come into the starting line-up for their bows.

    Elstadt joins Pieter-Steph du Toit and Francois Louw in the back row, with Jantjies alongside namesake Elton in a halfback combination.

    Lizo Gqoboka, also uncapped and named among the replacements, is in line to make his first appearance for South Africa from the bench.

    Erasmus said: "We are excited for the forthcoming year and I want to congratulate Rynhardt, Herschel and Lizo on their first inclusion in a Springbok match-day squad, while the leadership role is not something new for Eben.

    "The build-up has been good and there is definitely a very good vibe for match.

    "Australia have prepared very well for this match and they have spent two weeks at altitude to acclimatise to the Highveld, so we are in for a great contest."

    Aphiwe Dyantyi's absence due to a hamstring injury had already been confirmed.

     

    South Africa XV to face Australia: Warrick Gelant, Sbu Nkosi, Jesse Kriel, Andre Esterhuizen, Makazole Mapimpi, Elton Jantjies, Herschel Jantjies; Tendai Mtawarira, Bongi Mbonambi, Trevor Nyakane, Eben Etzebeth, Lood de Jager, Rynhardt Elstadt, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Francois Louw.

    Replacements: Schalk Brits, Lizo Gqoboka, Vincent Koch, Marvin Orie, Marcell Coetzee, Cobus Reinach, Frans Steyn, Dillyn Leyds.

  • Gower backs Jason Roy Test call-up: He is a real talent Gower backs Jason Roy Test call-up: He is a real talent

    Former England captain David Gower supports the decision to hand Jason Roy a Test call-up with the Ashes looming.

    After starring at the top of the order in his country's victorious Cricket World Cup campaign, Roy was named in England's Test squad for the first time on Wednesday, as part of a 13-man party to face Ireland at Lord's next week.

    The 28-year-old Surrey batsman, who averages 38 in first-class cricket, now looks certain to open in the first Test against Australia, starting on August 1, having earned selection through his excellent form in limited-overs cricket.

    Gower told Omnisport: "Detractors will say that Jason Roy's first-class career has been nothing like his one-day international career. I put something out on Twitter weeks ago now saying 'the talent this man is, can we not adapt him to Test cricket?'

    "There are people like David Warner who have successfully become great Test players having been one-day players; there are people like Rohit Sharma who will never play a Test match for India again despite the fact he's just got five hundreds in the World Cup, so it doesn't work for everyone.

    "But we [England] don't have particularly great alternatives. My view is that if it works it will be fantastic. If it takes a while to get going, or if it takes him a while to learn the ropes of being a Test match player, then actually we're no worse off than we are at the moment.

    "I would happily endorse him as a real talent, who with a bit of luck and hard work could knuckle down to it."

    Fast bowler Jofra Archer - another standout member of England's victorious World Cup team - has also been tipped to play a role in the Ashes, although he will miss the Test against Ireland due to a side strain.

    "Again, Jofra is an extraordinary talent, he's a brilliant talent," added Gower, a member of the England team that reached the 1979 World Cup final.

    "While one would be careful maybe about his workload, as they are about all England's bowlers, which is only sensible, again he is such a beautiful raw talent that I would have him in the side."

     

    - David Gower is touring theatres in October and November with his sell-out show 'On The Front Foot'. Buy your tickets from www.david-gower.com.

  • Lealiifano and Sio to miss Springboks Test Lealiifano and Sio to miss Springboks Test

    Christian Lealiifano and Scott Sio will miss Australia's Rugby Championship clash against South Africa on Saturday due to injury.

    Lealiifano was in contention to make his first Wallabies appearance in over three years following a battle with leukaemia.

    However, a shoulder problem means he will not face the Springboks in Johannesburg this weekend as he and prop Sio (adductor) will return home for rehabilitation with a view to rejoining the squad for the meeting with Argentina in Brisbane on July 27.

    Jack Maddocks and Rob Valetini have been released by head coach Michael Cheika for club duties, while Tom Robertson (ankle) needs a scan on an ankle injury that is expected to see him absent for both the Springboks and Pumas games.

    Marika Koroibete is due to return home from South Africa following the birth of his second child, while uncapped prop Harry Johnson-Holmes will link up with the squad.

    Cheika will name his XV on Thursday, ahead of the opening game of what will be a truncated Championship due to the Rugby World Cup beginning in Japan in September.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.