Never say never - Cook not ruling out Test return

By Sports Desk February 26, 2019

Former England Test captain Alastair Cook has refused to completely rule out a comeback should Joe Root's side need him.

Cook called time on his stellar career after his 161st Test in September, the opener ending in style with a fine 147 in a thumping 118-run win over India at the Oval.

Since he stepped away England have struggled for stability at the top of the order – with Rory Burns, Keaton Jennings and Joe Denly all failing to impress on a consistent basis during recent tours of Sri Lanka and the West Indies.

With a home Ashes series looming later in 2019, some have suggested England may try and tempt Cook back to the international scene to aid their hopes of regaining the urn.

And while not ruling out the possibility, Cook has no regrets about bowing out in 2018. 

"You can never say no totally, because you don't know what will happen in the future," Cook told Sky Sports after collecting his knighthood at Buckingham Palace on Tuesday.

"I had an amazing 12 years and had times and experiences which I could never repeat.

"The way I finished at The Oval was special, that will be my memory of wearing the three lions more times than I ever thought I would.

"That cap will stay in the drawer but I will look back with great memories of it. I can look back smiling with no regrets."

Related items

  • Ashes 2019: Paine backs Warner to excel without Smith in third Test Ashes 2019: Paine backs Warner to excel without Smith in third Test

    Tim Paine expects to see "the very best David Warner" in the third Ashes Test, believing the opener will thrive with the responsibility that comes with Steve Smith's absence.

    Australia star Warner has endured a dismal series so far in England as he returns to Test cricket following a 12-month ban for his role in the team's ball-tampering scandal.

    The 32-year-old has made just two, eight, three and five in his four Ashes innings as Smith, who was also suspended for a year, has done the heavy lifting to give the tourists a 1-0 series lead.

    But Smith will be missing at Headingley this week due to the concussion suffered when he took a Jofra Archer bouncer to the neck in the second match at Lord's.

    Warner, a senior figure, is among those under pressure to step up, and captain Paine foresees him doing exactly that.

    "I'm very confident [Warner will return to form]," Paine said. "I've spoken a lot about the fact he averages close to 50 in Test cricket [46.9] and he's done that over a long period of time.

    "I think with Steve missing this game, it might be the little poke and prod that Davey needs. He likes that responsibility.

    "And my experience with Davey is that, when people doubt him and his back is against the wall, he comes out swinging. I'm expecting the very best David Warner this week."

  • England set for 2020 limited-overs series with Australia England set for 2020 limited-overs series with Australia

    England have confirmed their home international schedule for 2020, with Australia, West Indies and Pakistan set to tour the country.

    Australia lead the Ashes 1-0 after the first two Tests and will return to England for a pair of limited-overs series next year.

    They will face England in Twenty20 matches at Durham, Old Trafford and Headingley. Those will be followed by a trio of ODIs at Lord's, Southampton and Bristol.

    The series will mark the first white-ball matches between England and Australia since Eoin Morgan's men beat the old enemy in the semi-finals of their victorious Cricket World Cup campaign.

    England open their home 2020 season with a three-Test series against West Indies starting on June 4 at The Oval. West Indies beat England 2-1 in the Caribbean this year, with Joe Root's men having won by the same scoreline on their own patch in 2017.

    The six matches against Australia follow before England take on Pakistan in three Tests, which begin at Lord's on July 30.

    With the T20 World Cup kicking off in October 2020, a subsequent three-game series with Pakistan in that format should serve as valuable preparation for the tournament.

    England round off their home schedule for the year with three ODIs against Ireland, the first taking place on September 10 at Trent Bridge. That series forms part of the new World Cup Super League, which will serve as the main route to qualification for the 2023 World Cup in India.

  • Ashes 2019: Roy to have final assessment after passing concussion Test Ashes 2019: Roy to have final assessment after passing concussion Test

    Jason Roy passed a concussion test but will be assessed again on Thursday ahead of the start of the third Ashes match.

    The England opener was struck on the side of the neck while batting in the nets at Headingley on Tuesday.

    He came through his concussion examination on Wednesday but England will wait until the day of the start of the Test before making a decision on his participation.

    Australia star Steve Smith, the leading run scorer in the series, has been ruled out of the meeting with a concussion suffered when he was struck by a Jofra Archer bouncer in the drawn second Test at Lord's.

    Roy played an instrumental role in England's triumphant Cricket World Cup campaign but has struggled on his first foray into red-ball cricket.

    He scored 72 in the second innings in England's win over Ireland in July, but Roy has just 40 runs to his name in the Ashes and contributed only two at Lord's.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.