Shaunae Miller-Uibo calls foul, questions Salwa Eid Naser exoneration

By October 21, 2020

Shaunae-Miller-Uibo has called foul on the decision to dismiss charges against Salwa Eid Nasser and has called for the formation of an independent athletes’ body in a bid to maintain the integrity of the sport.

The Bahamian track star also called on World Athletics President Lord Sebastien Coe to provide a detailed explanation of all the different failures that unfolded in the Naser case.

Naser, 22, who won gold at the 2019 World Athletics Championships in Doha, was on Tuesday cleared by an independent tribunal after she was charged with missing three missed drug tests in just over a month in 2019, due to a technicality and because one of the missed drug tests for which she was charged, was successfully challenged by her lawyers Dr. Emir Crowne and Matthew Gayle.

The Bahranian missed the tests on March 12 and 16 and April 12, 2019, six months before the start of the Doha World Championships. She was eventually provisionally suspended on June 5, 2020 following the investigation of a fourth missed test on January 24, 2020.

 Miller-Uibo wants to know why her rival was not suspended once those initial three tests were missed in mid-2019.

"Why was no action taken?" asked Miller-Uibo in a lengthy post in Instagram Wednesday. "Why was the athlete not provisionally suspended until one year and two months later?"

"I cry foul play and believe there is a deeper explanation of how World Athletics ... allowed this to carry on.

“We need to ensure that in athletics, we the athletes are not competing against any administrators whose only goal is for athletes to run faster, jump further and throw further at any cost."

Miller-Uibo said she was concerned about whether World Athletics and the Athletics Integrity Unit are truly out to protect clean athletes.

“As senior administrators, their purpose is to protect and advance their athletes to the best of their abilities,” she said while indicating that the “recent turn of events” opens the door to many questions.

“How is it possible that this case lingered on until the World Championships?” she asked.

She said the Naser case and others like it “strengthens the need for an independent body to serve alongside the World Athletics-appointed representatives.”

“With the independent athletes’ body, more accountability will be given as we try our best to rebuild trust and integrity in our beloved sport,” she said.

 

 

 

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • 'They don't care about athletes' - Bailey blasts NOC, sports ministry for perceived lack of support 'They don't care about athletes' - Bailey blasts NOC, sports ministry for perceived lack of support

    Antigua and Barbuda track and field star Daniel Bailey has launched a broadside on the county’s National Olympic Committee (NOC), who he accuses of being a 'sham' and not caring about the nation’s athletes.

    The 34-year, who has represented the county at the Olympic Games on several occasions, retired from international competition in 2018, pointing to the exorbitant cost of competing as a major factor in his decision. 

    Earlier this year, Bailey announced that he had decided to return to the sport in order to compete at next year’s Olympic Games.  It seems, however, that some things have yet to change.

    “They turned down my stuff and I left it alone, but I knew that was going to happen and I just think that the NOC is a sham because they don’t care about the athletes,” Bailey said recently on the Good Morning Jojo sports show.

    “It is the first time I have sent the NOC an email about funding and the murmuring stated as to why Bakka want this and why Bakka wants that but at the end of the day, the money does not belong to any one of them and without the athletes, they can’t get any funding,” he added.

    Earlier this year, EP Chet Greene, politician, and president of the NOC pledged to support the athlete after learning of his bid to qualify for the Olympics.

    Bailey’s scorn was not, however, limited to the NOC as he reflected on a long career of footing his own expense.

    “For the majority, I had to do it myself along with two or three corporate sponsors.  The NOC is not coming on board, the athletics association is not coming on board and the Ministry of Sports is not coming on board.  At the age of 18 years, I left for Jamaica on an IOC scholarship, and ever since then I have never gotten any help from the NOC, the government nor the Ministry of Sports.  I have been to four Olympic Games, spent 100s of thousands of dollars on myself, and represented this country without a dollar from anybody.”

    Bailey, who has a personal best of 9.91, has made it to the semi-finals of two Olympic Games and was fourth at the 2009 World Championships.

  • Improving relationship with athletes crucial to JAAA's mandate to transform - Michael Frater Improving relationship with athletes crucial to JAAA's mandate to transform - Michael Frater

    Three-time Olympian Michael Frater said the new administration of the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA), plans to engage the country’s athletes in a move to improve relations between the governing body and its primary stakeholders.

  • Coach believes returning Daniel Bailey could be better than ever Coach believes returning Daniel Bailey could be better than ever

    After an almost three-year hiatus from the sport, sprinter Daniel Bailey is planning a comeback at the 2021 World Indoor Championships from March 19-21 in Nanjing, China. His coach Carl Casey believes the veteran sprinter could be even better than before on his return.

    The 34-year-old Bailey, the first Antiguan to win a 60m indoor global medal, took a break from the sport in 2018 and many believed he had retired.

    However, according to Casey, he has been preparing Bailey for his intended return to the sport in 2021 and things have been going well.

    “Daniel is not really a person who shies away from working…when it comes to training he is very focused,” Casey said during a recent interview on the Good Morning Jojo Sports Show in Antigua.

    “This time around we are seeing a whole different person in terms of maturity and focus.”

    A decade ago Bailey, who boasts a personal best of 9.91, was among the best sprinters in the world, he was fourth in the final of the Men’s 100m at the 2009 World Championships in Berlin, where Usain Bolt set the world record of 9.58s.

    The following year he won bronze at the World Indoor Championships in Doha, Qatar and won a silver medal in the 100m at the Continental Cup in Split.

    Despite Bailey’s age, Casey believes there is a lot more in the tank.

    “He is the first person to run sub-10 in a South American country. Daniel Bailey is the only (Antiguan) athlete to have won a medal at indoors so he has substance,” the former national coach said.

    “Maybe it’s me but I think the second time coming is a better Daniel Bailey.”

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.