Salwa Eid Naser anti-doping charges dismissed

By Sports Desk October 20, 2020

World 400 metres champion Salwa Eid Naser has had anti-doping violation charges dismissed by a World Athletics tribunal.

The 22-year-old, who won gold in Doha last year with the third-fastest time in history of 48.14 seconds, was provisionally suspended in June after being charged with four whereabouts violations.

She was charged with a filing failure dated to March 16 last year, effective of January 1, and three missed tests on March 12, 2019, April 12, 2019 and January 24, 2020.

Naser admitted to missing three drug tests but insisted it was "normal" and "can happen to anybody" and made it clear she has "never been a cheat".

One of the four charges was dismissed because the doping control officer, confused by the numbering of the apartments where Naser lives, accidentally knocked on a storage-room door rather than her residence.

World Athletics said "it would be wrong to be critical" of the official as he "committed to do everything possible to locate and test the athlete", including returning to the address later that day before seeing if she was present at the Bahraini National Stadium.

Because the other missed tests were not within a 12-month period, Naser has not violated anti-doping rules.

However, in its ruling, the tribunal warned Naser that her missed test in January 2020 still stands against her and strongly advised that she seeks advice in using the Anti-Doping Administration & Management System (ADAMS) to prevent future complications.

"This was a case very much on the borderline, and we hope the athlete will learn from the experience and heed the AIU's warnings," the tribunal said.

The AIU has 30 days in which to appeal against the decision at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

Related items

  • Improving relationship with athletes crucial to JAAA's mandate to transform - Michael Frater Improving relationship with athletes crucial to JAAA's mandate to transform - Michael Frater

    Three-time Olympian Michael Frater said the new administration of the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA), plans to engage the country’s athletes in a move to improve relations between the governing body and its primary stakeholders.

  • Coach believes returning Daniel Bailey could be better than ever Coach believes returning Daniel Bailey could be better than ever

    After an almost three-year hiatus from the sport, sprinter Daniel Bailey is planning a comeback at the 2021 World Indoor Championships from March 19-21 in Nanjing, China. His coach Carl Casey believes the veteran sprinter could be even better than before on his return.

    The 34-year-old Bailey, the first Antiguan to win a 60m indoor global medal, took a break from the sport in 2018 and many believed he had retired.

    However, according to Casey, he has been preparing Bailey for his intended return to the sport in 2021 and things have been going well.

    “Daniel is not really a person who shies away from working…when it comes to training he is very focused,” Casey said during a recent interview on the Good Morning Jojo Sports Show in Antigua.

    “This time around we are seeing a whole different person in terms of maturity and focus.”

    A decade ago Bailey, who boasts a personal best of 9.91, was among the best sprinters in the world, he was fourth in the final of the Men’s 100m at the 2009 World Championships in Berlin, where Usain Bolt set the world record of 9.58s.

    The following year he won bronze at the World Indoor Championships in Doha, Qatar and won a silver medal in the 100m at the Continental Cup in Split.

    Despite Bailey’s age, Casey believes there is a lot more in the tank.

    “He is the first person to run sub-10 in a South American country. Daniel Bailey is the only (Antiguan) athlete to have won a medal at indoors so he has substance,” the former national coach said.

    “Maybe it’s me but I think the second time coming is a better Daniel Bailey.”

  • Jamaica's sports minister congratulates, offers challenge to new JAAA president, Garth Gayle Jamaica's sports minister congratulates, offers challenge to new JAAA president, Garth Gayle

    Minister of Gender, Culture, Entertainment and Sports Olivia Grange has congratulated Garth Gayle on his ascendency to the presidency of the Jamaica Athletic Administrative Association (JAAA).

    Gayle, who was the Honorary Secretary of the JAAA for two decades, replaced Dr Warren Blake who stepped down after two four-year terms. Gayle defeated Olympic Quarrie in a landslide winning 236 delegate votes to Quarrie’s 28.

    Marie Tavares will fill Gayle’s former position, after defeating Anthony Davis while Leroy Cooke is the Director of Records.

    Ian Forbes was elected unopposed as First Vice President, as were second Vice President Lincoln Eatmon, Third Vice President Olympian Michael Frater and Fourth Vice President Vilma Charlton. Ludlow Watts returns as Treasurer while Brian Smith will be Assistant Secretary.

    In her congratulatory message, Minister Grange said she was expecting great things from the new administration.

    “As I offer my congratulations to Garth and those on his slate for the success in the elections yesterday, I say Jamaica is looking forward to the best performance over the next four years in the best interests of the country’s track and field athletes,” she said.

    “There is a lot to be done in the further development of the sport and as the Minister of Sport, I am right here in the middle to give my support to the new administration.

    “I am also hoping that with the elections out of the way, all will work together to build on Jamaica’s long, proud and wonderful record of performance in track and field.”

    The full executive of the new JAAA administration also include committee members Keith Wellington, Heleen Francis, Julette Parkes-Livermore, Ewan Scott, Judith Ewart, Fedrick Dacres, Dr Carl Bruce and Gregory Hamilton.

     

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.