Mo Farah gives WADA go-ahead to retest doping test samples

By Sports Desk January 21, 2020

Four-time Olympic gold medallist Mo Farah insists he would have no problem with any samples he has provided in doping tests being retested.

The British long-distance runner has for years had to contend with questions and insinuations surrounding his long association with the now-banned American coach Alberto Salazar.

Farah has always denied any wrongdoing and has never failed a drugs test, with the 36-year-old often running and winning under added pressure because of the focus that has been trained upon him.

Former World Anti Doping Agency (WADA) president Sir Craig Reedie, speaking while in office last year, signalled proposals that could see experts conduct new tests on old samples of the many athletes who worked with the disgraced Salazar.

Salazar strenuously denied breaking the rules but was found by the United States Anti Doping Agency (USADA) last year to have committed three violations associated with "orchestrating and facilitating prohibited doping conduct".

He received a four-year ban, with Nike then closing the Oregon Project training group that he led. Salazar has appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport against the punishment.

It emerged last weekend that UK Anti-Doping (UKAD) intended to prevent previous samples provided by Farah or any athlete from being re-examined, unless "credible evidence" could be provided that pointed to the use of banned substances.

UKAD president Nicola Sapstead voiced concern that old samples could be damaged by being released for fresh testing; however, the Russian Anti-Doping Agency - no stranger to controversy - has urged the British authority to drop its reluctance.

Farah has been a bystander during this exchange of views, but the six-time world champion would be open to his samples being looked at again.

That is a point he also made in the immediate wake of Salazar being banned.

Farah wrote on Twitter: "I've seen reports of my name in connection to UKAD and WADA about sample retesting.

"Just to be clear, I was not consulted about this and as I've said many times, I am happy for any anti-doping body to test any of my previous samples anytime."

Related items

  • Super Swede Duplantis breaks pole vault world record again, eyes Olympic gold Super Swede Duplantis breaks pole vault world record again, eyes Olympic gold

    Sweden's new athletics superstar Armand Duplantis landed a pole vault world record for the second successive weekend and then set his sights on Olympic Games glory.

    Duplantis cleared 6.18 metres at the indoor Grand Prix in Glasgow as the 20-year-old improved by one centimetre on the mark he set last Saturday in Poland.

    Frenchman Renaud Lavillenie was the previous world record holder, with a best clearance of 6.16m indoors and 6.05m outdoors, but Duplantis now holds the two highest clearances in history.

    Duplantis had a failure at 5.75m in Glasgow but cleared on his second attempt before going over untroubled at 5.84m and 6.00m.

    With victory already assured, the youngster had the bar raised to the world record height and soared over, earning himself a $30,000 bonus.

    Duplantis is focused on winning gold at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.

    "I'm excited for the outdoor season," he said. "The Olympics is the biggest thing a track and field athlete can compete in and that's where I want to have my best competition of the season, so it's a good start but that's where I want to be the best."

    Reacting to his latest achievement, Duplantis told BBC Sport: "It's a complicated event and so many things go into creating a good jump.

    "There's so many years of hard work ... but I guess when you're doing it right it seems simple.

    "It's safe to say I feel good on the runway: I feel fast, I feel strong, I feel like I'm working the poles I have really well."

  • World Athletics blocks use of prototype shoes and issues rules designed to preserve 'integrity' World Athletics blocks use of prototype shoes and issues rules designed to preserve 'integrity'

    World Athletics will prevent competitors using the type of shoes Eliud Kipchoge wore when famously breaking the marathon's two-hour barrier - warning advances in technology are threatening the "integrity of the sport".

    The governing body announced an immediate "indefinite moratorium" on any shoe with a sole thicker than 40 millimetres, or 30mm for the sole on shoes with spikes.

    Also subject to the moratorium will be shoes with more than one "rigid embedded plate or blade that runs either the full length or only part of the length of the shoe".

    Nike's Alphafly bespoke shoe, which Kipchoge wore when setting his marathon record in Vienna last October, is widely reported to feature three carbon fibre plates.

    World Athletics did not mention the Nike shoes in its news release on Friday, or say whether Kipchoge's world record would remain in the record books, and did not reply to requests from Omnisport for comment.

    All manufacturers' prototype shoes are to be blocked from use, World Athletics said, and from April 30, athletes will only be permitted to compete in footwear that has been available for the public to buy for four months.

    Sebastian Coe, the World Athletics president, said the new rules would provide "certainty to athletes and manufacturers" ahead of this year's Tokyo Olympics.

    The new regulations will allow for modification of shoes but only for cosmetic or medical reasons.

    As well as Kipchoge's historic achievement in 2019, which was not an officially ratified record, his fellow Kenyan Brigid Kosgei set a world record for the women's marathon also in Nike shoes.

    It is not known whether the Nike Vaporfly shoes that Kosgei wore would be allowed under the specifications provided by World Athletics, or whether the shoes were modified.

    According to The Times, Nike plans to commercially release an Alphafly shoe that will meet the new guidelines.

    World Athletics said independent research had raised "concerns that the integrity of the sport might be threatened by the recent developments in shoe technology".

    Coe said "It is not our job to regulate the entire sports shoe market but it is our duty to preserve the integrity of elite competition by ensuring that the shoes worn by elite athletes in competition do not offer any unfair assistance or advantage.

    "As we enter the Olympic year, we don't believe we can rule out shoes that have been generally available for a considerable period of time, but we can draw a line by prohibiting the use of shoes that go further than what is currently on the market while we investigate further.

    "I believe these new rules strike the right balance by offering certainty to athletes and manufacturers as they prepare for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games, while addressing the concerns that have been raised about shoe technology."

  • Russia faces expulsion threat as athletics chiefs pour scorn on response to Lysenko case charges Russia faces expulsion threat as athletics chiefs pour scorn on response to Lysenko case charges

    Russia faces the threat of total expulsion from international athletics if charges relating to an anti-doping case are upheld against senior federation figures.

    That was the stark warning issued on Wednesday by the Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU), which urged World Athletics to get tough if RusAF officials linked to the Danil Lysenko saga are shown to have been involved in anti-doping rule violations.

    High-jumper Lysenko, a silver medallist at the 2017 World Championships, was competing as a neutral athlete following the suspension of RusAF when, in June 2018, he was notified of a third 'whereabouts' failure and served with a provisional suspension.

    The AIU investigated the explanations provided by Lysenko, concluding the explanations were false and supported by forged documents, leading to charges against RusAF figures including president Dmitry Shlyakhtin and executive director Alexander Parkin, plus the athlete and his coach Evgeniy Zagorulko.

    In all, seven individuals were charged, and RusAF was given until December 12 to respond, with that deadline later extended.

    However, the AIU delivered a scathing verdict on RusAF's reaction to the charges on Wednesday, accusing it of trying to deflect blame and failing to demonstrate any accountability.

    The AIU said in a statement: "The AIU board finds it regrettable that, in the face of clear and compelling evidence, RusAF has chosen not to admit to the acts and omissions of the employees, directors and representatives of RusAF for which it is liable under the anti-doping rules.

    "In the AIU board's view, a responsible member federation in the circumstances would have admitted the charges and shown contrition for its conduct, but RusAF has chosen to do neither.

    "Instead, RusAF has gone to great lengths to deny any involvement in the matter, blame others and attack the process. This approach is deeply concerning for the AIU board as it seems to indicate that the current leadership of the federation is merely a continuation of the former."

    Russia's situation could result in none of its track and field athletes being allowed to compete at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, where they are already unable to enter under the country's flag.

    Until charges in the Lysenko case are resolved, the AIU recommended suspending the practice of allowing Russians who meet certain criteria to compete as neutral competitors.

    Pointing to RusAF's "total lack of contrition for its conduct" and "the fact that the previous sanctions of World Athletics have apparently failed to deter RusAF from reoffending", the AIU said the World Athletics Council should "consider recommending to the World Athletics Congress that RusAF be expelled from membership".

    Responding to the AIU declaration, World Athletics said Russia would consider the call for expulsion if RusAF continues to deny any fault and if the Court of Arbitration for Sport upholds the charges.

    World Athletics - previously known as the IAAF - said it would write to the acting RusAF president and to Russia's sports minister warning of the potential consequences of "their current 'blanket denials' approach".

    However, an olive branch will also be offered to Russia.

    The letter will spell out that if the charges are admitted to the World Athletics Council, then RusAF would face sanctions but would avoid expulsion, while a new process to reinstate the suspended membership of RusAF would also be decided upon.

    RusAF has been out in the cold since 2015.

    Importantly, World Athletics also said it would "decide on a new process for Russian athletes to apply for 'authorised neutral athlete' status moving forward", meaning Tokyo 2020 may not close its doors entirely to competitors from the country.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.