Semenya stars at Meeting de Montreuil ahead of appeal outcome

By Sports Desk June 11, 2019

Caster Semenya had no problems stepping up to compete at 2000 metres on Tuesday, dominating the field to triumph at the Meeting de Montreuil.

In action a day after being selected in South Africa's preliminary squad for the IAAF World Championships, Semenya clocked a time of five minutes and 38.19 seconds at the event.

The two-time Olympic 800m champion was named in a 40-strong party while awaiting the outcome of an appeal to the Federal Supreme Court of Switzerland in a bid to overturn a new IAAF ruling.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) ruled that the IAAF could implement a regulation to impose restrictions on testosterone levels in athletes competing in women's events at distances ranging from 400m to one mile.

Semenya has insisted she will not take hormone-suppressing medication in order to comply with the regulation if her appeal is unsuccessful, arguing the rule contravenes her human rights.

The Swiss Supreme Court has stated Semenya can compete without restrictions while it considers the case, though the IAAF is seeking a "swift reversion" to that order.

Semenya ruled out retiring after winning the 800m at the Diamond League event in Doha in May.

Related items

  • Semenya receives Rabat invite Semenya receives Rabat invite

    Caster Semenya has been invited to compete in the Diamond League meeting in Rabat this weekend after initially being denied entry.

    Semenya was again cleared to compete without restriction on Thursday when the Federal Supreme Court of Switzerland (SFT) rejected an IAAF request to reimpose a new ruling limiting testosterone in female athletes.

    The double Olympic 800 metres champion is challenging the IAAF's decision to introduce restrictions on testosterone levels in women competing at distances ranging from 400m to a mile.

    Semenya should be free to run while she awaits an SFT verdict on her case, but was told on Tuesday that the president of the Moroccan Athletics Federation would not permit her to compete in Rabat on Sunday.

    Race organisers backtracked after taking note of the SFT's refusal to reimpose the IAAF ruling.

    A statement released by race organisers on Friday said: "After checking the situation of Caster Semenya in view of the decisions of the Swiss Federal Court, and the Court of Arbitration for Sport, the head of the sports centre and sports organisation of the international athletics meeting in Rabat, Mr. Alain Blondel, is happy to confirm her invitation to participate in the 800m race of the said meeting on Sunday 16 June 2019."

    Semenya is also hoping to run in the Prefontaine Classic Diamond League meeting in California on June 30.

  • Semenya remains free to compete without restriction Semenya remains free to compete without restriction

    Caster Semenya remains free to compete without restriction after the Federal Supreme Court of Switzerland (SFT) rejected an IAAF request to reimpose a new ruling limiting testosterone in female athletes.

    The IAAF last week stated its intention to seek a "swift reversion" of the court order to allow Semenya to race in any event until the SFT comes to a decision over her case.

    Two-time Olympic 800 metres champion Semenya is challenging the IAAF's decision to introduce restrictions on testosterone levels in female athletes competing at distances ranging from 400m to a mile.

    Athletics' governing body was initially ordered to suspend its implementation of the regulations by the SFT earlier this month and that decision has now been upheld. 

    Semenya may need to take hormone-suppressing medication, which she argues contravenes her human rights, if she loses her appeal and wishes to stay in athletics.

    The 28-year-old on Tuesday stepped up to compete over 2,000m, dominating the field to triumph at the Meeting de Montreuil.

    That victory came a day after she was selected in South Africa's preliminary squad for the IAAF World Championships in Doha.

    Semenya's team said she was this week informed by the president of the Moroccan Athletics Federation that she would not be invited to compete in the 800m at the Diamond League meeting in Rabat on Sunday.

    The three-time 800m world champion has sought to enter the Prefontaine Classic Diamond League meeting on June 30.

  • Semenya in preliminary South Africa World Championships squad Semenya in preliminary South Africa World Championships squad

    Caster Semenya has been included in South Africa's preliminary squad for the IAAF World Championships in Doha.

    The two-time Olympic 800 metres champion is awaiting the outcome of an appeal to the Federal Supreme Court of Switzerland in a bid to overturn a new IAAF ruling.

    The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) ruled that the IAAF could implement a regulation that would require Semenya to take medication to lower her testosterone levels in order to compete against women in track events ranging from 400m to a mile.

    The Swiss Supreme Court has stated that Semenya can compete without restrictions while it considers her appeal, although athletics' governing body is seeking a "swift reversion" of this order.

    The final decision on the ruling will determine whether the 28-year-old is able to compete in the World Championships in September.

    Athletics South Africa (ASA) has named Semenya among 40 athletes in its preliminary group.

    However, ASA notes that Semenya's inclusion is still subject to the Swiss Supreme Court verdict.

    Semenya ruled out retiring after winning the 800m at the Diamond League event in Doha last month, two days after the CAS ruling was announced.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.