"I don't think anyone is near my records" - Usain Bolt

By November 15, 2020

Notwithstanding the presence of athletes like Noah Lyles and Christian Coleman, two of the world’s fastest men, 100 and 200m world-record holder Usain Bolt does not believe his records are under threat.

Bolt set world records of 9.58 and 19.19 for the 100m and 200m, respectively, at the World Championships in Berlin in August 2009. Since then, Lyles has perhaps come closest to the 200m record when he ran a personal best 19.50 in Lausanne in July 2019.

Lyle’s personal best in the 100m is 9.86.

Meanwhile, Coleman, the 2019 100m World Champion ran the fastest time since Bolt’s retirement when he clocked 9.76 to win his world title in Doha.

Speaking with Marca Sports Weekend recently, Bolt said while there are many elite sprinters vying for his title of world’s fastest man, none is near his records that have been standing now for more than a decade.

"I think no one will get to my records (soon)," he said. "I don't think anyone is near my records.

"The level that took me to my records was a long way and took a lot of effort. My physical attributes, the fact that I'm tall, really helped. I think it's going to take a while until someone gets there."

At the 2016 Olympics, Bolt became the first sprinter in history to win three consecutive Olympic 100m and 200m titles (2008, 2012 and 2016). He also won 100m World titles in 2009, 2013, and 2015. He won the bronze medal in London in 2017. He also won 200m world titles in 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2015. He is the first man to run faster than 9.7 seconds for the 100m and the only man to run faster than 10.6 seconds. He is also the only man to run faster than 19.20 seconds for the 200m.

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • 'Cancelled high school football competitions will have big impact on national programs' - Downswell 'Cancelled high school football competitions will have big impact on national programs' - Downswell

     Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) director of football, Wendell Downswell, believes the continued absence of the country’s youth football programs and competitions will have a devastating impact on the sport over the next few years.

    All official football competitions across Jamaica have been shuttered since March of last year, as the island battled to come to grips with the spread of the deadly coronavirus.  Included in that list are the island’s Premier League competition and all high school football competitions.

    Both competitions typically cater to the need of developing players Under 21 years old who are selected for youth national teams and even acquire scholarships to overseas colleges through them.  

    With the recent decision by FIFA to postpone the 2021 U-17 and U-20 World Cup and CONCACAF’s decisions to postpone the respective qualifiers, things are essentially at a standstill.

    “You won’t see it immediately but in years to come, probably starting in 2023, you will see the results as it relates to our youth football itself,” Downswell told Football GPS.

    “Youngsters if you look at it, in three categories, in four categories, at high school you have the U-14, Under-16 and of course the Manning Cup and DaCosta Cup.  At the parish level, you have the Under-15 competition, at the club level, you have the Under-14 competition that takes on an international flavor.  If you look from there you make the transition into the Under-15, Under-17, and the Under-20 national teams and you are looking at both sets of national teams, male and female," he added.

    "If we look at it from the perspective that the schoolboy football competition has been abandoned because of COVID, you know the schoolboy competition provides us with a means to identify talent at both the schoolboy level and club level and when that’s not forthcoming it put a damper on our football.”

     

     

     

  • Jamaica gets record brand exposure during 2020 CPL Jamaica gets record brand exposure during 2020 CPL

    During the 2020 tournament the Hero Caribbean Premier League (CPL),  Jamaica Tallawahs partnered with the Jamaica Tourist Board (JTB) to showcase Jamaica as a fascinating and vibrant destination for all visitors, generating a sponsorship value of US$45.7million.

    The 2020 tournament was played behind closed doors in Trinidad as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, but the Tallawahs and Hero CPL worked hard to highlight Jamaica as a leading tourist destination. With record viewership of 523million, a 67 per cent increase on 2019, there was a huge audience watching CPL and hearing about what Jamaica has to offer.

    The JTB’s9876543ASP[]\sponsorship of the Jamaica Tallawahs saw tourism footage featuring many of the “must see” locations in Jamaica shown throughout the tournament, with there being a special focus during the Tallawah’s “home” matches. In total Jamaica received a record 395 hours of brand exposure across the tournament.

     “We are delighted to see these numbers and it always pleases us when we are able to show Jamaica and the rest of the Caribbean in the best possible light,” said Hero CPL COO, Pete Russell.

    “The Hero CPL taking place in 2020 showed the world that the Caribbean was open for business and even in the most trying of circumstances it can deliver an amazing experience for visitors. Jamaica is a fantastic place to visit and we can’t wait to be back there as soon as possible.”

    Jamaica’s Director of Tourism Donovan White highlighted the benefits of the partnership.

    “Our partnership with Hero Caribbean Premier League gave us the opportunity to present the Jamaican brand to a large global cricket audience,” White said.

    “An audience that included cricket aficionados and others from India, South Africa, England and Australia. Our association with Jamaica Tallawahs was well positioned and we are happy with the success of the television production.”

     

  • World 400m champion, Gardiner would welcome 'surprise' world record World 400m champion, Gardiner would welcome 'surprise' world record

    Steven Gardiner became one of the fastest men in history when he won the gold medal in the 400m at the World Championships in Doha last year. The 25-year-old Bahamian crossed the finish line in 43.48s, the sixth-fastest time ever run over the distance.

    But while he dreams of one day breaking Wayde van Niekerk’s four-year-old world record of 43.03, he would prefer for it to come as a surprise.

    “I would say that is everybody’s dream! If I do set the world record, I want it to be a surprise,” Gardiner said in a recent interview with World Athletics.

    “I just want to go out, compete and then when I look at the clock, find that I’ve set a world record.”

    The soft-spoken Bahamian harbours hope to have a good year competing in 2021 culminating with another gold medal in Tokyo.

    “I just want to compete the best I can and leave with a medal, specifically the gold medal. I know what I have to do. For the season, I’d like to run a few PBs and then win an Olympic medal,” he said.

    With most of the major meets cancelled or postponed during 2020, Gardiner said he spent much of the time focused on improving his speed, a potentially critical element in any attempt at a world record.

    “Many things were the same, although my coach, Gary Evans, introduced a lot more speed work. It was fun and it really paid off,” he said.

    “I had a lot of fun. During the pandemic, we decided to focus on the shorter sprints and leave competing again in the 400m to 2021.”

     

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.