Europa League Review - Arsenal score 2-0 win over Napoli

By Sports Desk April 12, 2019

Goals from Aaron Ramsey and an own goal from Kalidou Koulibaly gave Arsenal a 2-0 win over Napoli in the first leg of the Europa League quarterfinals.

Related items

  • I want to play for the team I love – Nelson determined to make Arsenal impact I want to play for the team I love – Nelson determined to make Arsenal impact

    Arsenal's Reiss Nelson says he does not want another loan move next season and is determined to break into the first team at Emirates Stadium.

    The 19-year-old, who is part of England's European Under-21 Championship squad, made 29 appearances and scored seven goals for Bundesliga side Hoffenheim last season.

    Nelson revealed he is yet to speak to Gunners boss Unai Emery about his future but says he is focused on playing for his boyhood team in the 2019-20 campaign.

    "Arsenal is my main goal," he told Sky Sports News. "After the Euros I'll look to go back to pre-season, do that very strong and hopefully play for the team I love.

    "I haven't spoken to him [Emery] yet. The recruitment team said I need to concentrate on the Euros and then we'll get back into Arsenal later on."

    While Nelson is keen to carve out a career in England, he looks back fondly on his time in Germany and says it has helped him grow as a player.

    "It's a different style the way the German players play," he explained. "I think the English players like to play a lot of one and two touch and we can find each other in the pockets.

    "In Germany it's more physical. It's a lot of aggressive runs in behind and getting into the box. I was happy I got that experience out there and I'm happy to be back.

    "I learned a lot on the pitch and I've had to deal with a lot off the pitch as well – the culture, the German [language] barrier, but I thought all in all it has been a good experience and I'm ready to come back."

    Nelson will hope to feature when England's Euros campaign kicks off against France on Tuesday.

  • Bournemouth issue update on Fraser future amid Arsenal links Bournemouth issue update on Fraser future amid Arsenal links

    Bournemouth chief executive Neill Blake has reiterated that a contract offer remains on the table for winger Ryan Fraser amid rumoured interest from Arsenal.

    Scotland international Fraser scored seven goals and laid on 14 assists for his team-mates in the Premier League last season.

    But the 25-year-old's future at the Vitality Stadium has been called into question as he is about to enter the final 12 months of his existing deal.

    Fraser admitted earlier this week he is flattered by the links to Arsenal but he fears being priced out of a move to the Emirates Stadium, with Bournemouth rumoured to be holding out for £30million.

    As the speculation continues to mount, Bournemouth have made clear they are not actively looking to sell the ex-Aberdeen wideman.

    "Much has been written and spoken about the future of Ryan Fraser, as his contract with AFC Bournemouth heads into its final 12 months," Blake said in a statement published on the club's official website.

    "As is the club’s policy, details regarding contract negotiations or transfer activity are kept confidential and do not enter the public domain.

    "However, following some recent reports I felt it was imperative to speak publicly and provide balanced clarity on the situation. The offer of a new long-term contract has been on the table for Ryan for some time.

    "In September 2018, at the request of Ryan’s representative, negotiations were paused to allow the player to focus entirely on his football.

    "He went on to have an outstanding season, helping the club secure a fifth successive season of Premier League football.

    "During that time, I have been - and continue to be - in regular dialogue with Ryan’s representative, and have made it clear to both him and the player that our contract offer remains on the table.

    "Quite simply, Ryan is a fantastic player and an integral part of our squad. We look forward to welcoming Ryan back to us next month after a well-earned break, upon which he can focus on having another standout season for AFC Bournemouth."

    Fraser's tally of 14 assists last season was bettered only by Eden Hazard, who swapped Chelsea for Real Madrid last week.

  • Rumour Has It: Beckham's Inter Miami make Icardi offer Rumour Has It: Beckham's Inter Miami make Icardi offer

    David Beckham is keen to make a splash when Inter Miami FC enter MLS in 2020.

    And he has reportedly identified former Inter captain Mauro Icardi as a player to lead the club's attack in the United States.

    Icardi is out of favour in Milan and could be set for a switch to the sunny beaches of south Florida.

     

    TOP STORY – BECKHAM EYES ICARDI

    Inter outcast Mauro Icardi has received an offer from David Beckham's Inter Miami, according to Argentine news agency Telam.

    Icardi was stripped of the Inter captaincy in 2018-19 and new head coach Antonio Conte is reportedly determined to sell the striker.

    With Icardi's future in Milan uncertain amid apparent interest from Serie A champions Juventus, a move to Miami for the 2020 season could tempt the 26-year-old and his family.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Inter's determination to part with Mauro Icardi is so they can reportedly free up funds to sign Romelu Lukaku from Manchester United. However, Corriere dello Sport claims the Italian club have rejected the possibility of a player exchange as the Red Devils look to include centre-back Milan Skriniar in a potential swap deal.

    - The Sun reports Arsenal are ramping up their efforts to raise funds by selling maligned playmaker Mesut Ozil. The Gunners failed to qualify for the Champions League again and Unai Emery is looking to continue his rebuild.

    - LaLiga champions Barcelona are willing to offer €25million to sign Borussia Dortmund left-back Raphael Guerreiro, according to Sport. Barca want to provide competition for Jordi Alba.

    - According to le10sport, Ligue 1 holders Paris Saint-Germain are interested in Ajax and Brazil star David Neres, who is on international duty at the Copa America. PSG have also reportedly made an enquiry for Napoli captain Lorenzo Insigne, La Gazzetta dello Sport claims.

    - The Daily Mail reports Tottenham are not looking to sign Sporting CP midfielder Bruno Fernandes, who is believed to be a target for Manchester United.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.