Bahamian sprint hurdler Devynne Charlton turns pro, opens in Barcelona

By July 09, 2018
Purdue alum Devynne Charlton signs with Puma, opens in Barcelona on Wednesday. Purdue alum Devynne Charlton signs with Puma, opens in Barcelona on Wednesday.

Bahamian sprint hurdler Devynne Charlton will run her first professional race as a Puma athlete in Barcelona on Wednesday. The 22-year-old athlete recently graduated from Purdue University and signed with Puma shortly thereafter.

“It’s a three- year deal and I’m really excited about it,” Charlton told SportsMax.TV.

“I’m happy to have signed with Puma, especially since they are very supportive of Bahamian athletes and other Caribbean athletes as well.”

Charlton enjoyed a stellar career while at Purdue. This season, she successfully defended her title at the Big 10 Championship where she was the only woman in the conference to win multiple individual titles on the track. She was also the only woman at the meet with three gold medals.

All three of her wins were repeat victories from last year’s meet. She is the first woman to win back-to-back Big Ten titles in the 100-meter dash, 100-meter hurdles and 4x100-meter relay since Ohio State’s Christina Manning did so in 2011 and 2012.

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Neymar 'will always be an option' for Barcelona – Abidal Neymar 'will always be an option' for Barcelona – Abidal

    Barcelona will always be interested in Neymar but it is financially difficult to re-sign him, the club's sporting director Eric Abidal has admitted.

    Neymar attempted to secure a move back to Camp Nou in the close season, two years after leaving for Paris Saint-Germain in a deal that made him the most expensive player in history.

    LaLiga champions Barca held talks with PSG but were unable to meet the Ligue 1 side's demands.

    Lionel Messi suggested some at the Catalan club did not want Neymar to return, though it appears he will remain a target.

    "A top player, who has a Barca philosophy and who is performing at a high level, will always be an option," Abidal told Mundo Deportivo.

    "We can make decisions on the sporting level but the whole financial issue, there are things that you can do and others you cannot. The future will tell us.

    "I will not say it would be option number one, because the season is very long, but clearly it can be an option."

    Barca reignited their interest in Neymar amid a desire to find a long-term successor to ageing striker Luis Suarez.

    The search is said to have led them to highly rated Inter forward Lautaro Martinez.

    Asked about the 22-year-old, Abidal said: "He is a complete player. I think he is performing at a great level. He is a player we know.

    "There are other players who also have a lot of quality... but I don't pay much attention to the player who plays every weekend, I look at others."

    Barca did boost their attacking options with the addition of Antoine Griezmann in July and Abidal said Suarez had been briefed on the club's intentions to pursue another competitor for his starting spot.

    "I am transparent with the players," the Frenchman said. "Luis can tell you, because last year I already told him that it was going to be like that, that we were going to look for an offensive player.

    "He accepted it because he wants the best for the team. Today, I can tell you that there is no priority. The planning will always be done, no matter the position on the field, the only change will be the decision."

  • Messi in talks with Barcelona over new contract, confirms Abidal Messi in talks with Barcelona over new contract, confirms Abidal

    Lionel Messi is in talks with Barcelona over a new contract, the Spanish club's sporting director Eric Abidal has confirmed.

    The Argentina international has spent 18 years with Barca but his future has been called into question after it emerged earlier this year he can leave Camp Nou for free at the end of any season.

    Five-time Ballon d'Or winner Messi is officially contracted to the LaLiga champions until 2021, but Abidal is hopeful fresh terms can soon be agreed.

    "They are already talking," he told Mundo Deportivo. "I do not know if we will have news soon because the decision will depend on the player, but for us as a club I hope it is sorted as soon as possible."

    Asked when he expects an agreement to be announced, Abidal said: "It will be known when it is known, but I am positive."

    Abidal also confirmed academy product Ansu Fati is in line for a contract extension, having impressed in his breakthrough campaign.

    "We are also talking to him," Abidal said. "He is a young player that we have to protect. We have to talk to his family and representatives."

  • Rumour Has It: Manchester United devise Haaland plan ahead of double swoop Rumour Has It: Manchester United devise Haaland plan ahead of double swoop

    Manchester United have hatched a plan that could help bring Erling Haaland to Old Trafford.

    The Premier League side are reportedly contemplating a compromise that will curry favour with Salzburg, the young star's present employers.

    Considered the favourites in that chase, United also appear set to jump the queue for another of Europe's most admired teenage talents.

     

    TOP STORY – UNITED WILLING TO WAIT FOR HAALAND

    Manchester United are prepared to consider loaning Erling Haaland straight back to Salzburg if a deal can be struck in January, such is their determination to land the sought-after striker.

    According to ESPN, United could allow Haaland to stay in Austria until the end of the season in an attempt to defuse a potential bidding war.

    Spanish newspaper AS suggest the Red Devils are "pushing the hardest" for the 19-year-old, who has been valued at €100million – a figure that might price even Real Madrid out of the market.

     

    ROUND-UP

    United are unlikely to stop at Haaland when the transfer window reopens. The club are weighing up whether to bring forward a planned end-of-season approach for Jadon Sancho in order to capitalise on uncertainty over the winger's Borussia Dortmund future, reports The Guardian.

    Juventus are becoming concerned about the increasing level of interest from Spain and England in highly rated Brescia midfielder Sandro Tonali, according to Calciomercato. The Serie A champions could be forced to make a move sooner rather than later as his suitors gain in number and his price tag rises above €40m.

    - That sum, Calciomercato claims, is the minimum Juve will demand for out-of-favour defenders Daniele Rugani and Merih Demiral. Both players have been linked to Arsenal.

    Boca Juniors are eyeing another showpiece signing. Argentina-based football journalist Martin Castilla told CNN Deportes the South American giants are keen on luring Luis Suarez away from Barcelona. San Lorenzo vice-president Marcelo Tinelli expressed interest in the 32-year-old earlier in the week.

    - Returning to Serie A and it looks like Wojciech Szczesny will be staying in Turin. Sky Sport Italia reporter Gianluca Di Marzio says the Polish goalkeeper has agreed a contract extension with Juve through to 2024.

Popular Athletics News

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.