Andy Murray has condemned Nick Kyrgios' latest costly meltdown at the Western & Southern Open and hopes his close friend can "figure it out".

The temperamental Australian swore at Fergus Murphy and called him the worst umpire in the game during a second-round defeat against Karen Khachanov, less than a fortnight after winning the Citi Open in Washington.

Kyrgios also smashed two rackets in an off-court outburst as he lost his cool in Cincinnati on Wednesday, the unruly behaviour costing him fines amounting to $113,000 (£93,254).

Murray said the world number 27 was out of order and hopes he can change his ways.

The Briton told BBC Sport: "It wasn't good, and I felt for Fergus as he shouldn't have to put up with that.

"I chatted to [Kyrgios] a little bit [on Wednesday] night after the match.

"It's obviously up to him, and I think for the most part a couple of weeks ago in Washington, he did a good job of helping himself and using the crowd.

"But obviously this week, he went back to what he was doing before. You just hope he will figure it out, because a week like in Washington is really good for tennis, but [Wednesday] night isn't.

"Hopefully he gets it figured out."

Andy Murray has announced he will not compete at the US Open after deciding not to play in the doubles competition.

The former world number one had already ruled himself out of the singles and on Friday he confirmed he would not take part at Flushing Meadows at all.

Murray, who won the tournament in 2012, said his focus would now fall squarely on the singles discipline after making several doubles and mixed doubles outings on his road to recovery from hip surgery, including appearing alongside Serena Williams at Wimbledon.

"I'm not going to play doubles at the US Open," the Briton, who will play singles at Winston-Salem next week, told BBC Sport.

"My goal is to get back playing at the level that I want to on the singles court, and I've decided that I need to focus all my energies on that right now.

"The US Open, doubles and mixed, can be another couple of weeks that you are slowing things down."

Murray underwent a hip operation in January and has been carefully managing his schedule ever since, with retirement having been on the cards before the procedure.

"It doesn't feel like I need to play the main draw of every single tour event," he said.

"I've hardly played the last couple of years and, having discussed with my team, after this week I think doubles is done for me for the time being.

"I need to focus my mind on getting matches on the singles court. There aren't many tournaments between now and the end of the year."

The US Open begins on August 26.

Andy Murray's singles comeback will continue at the Winston-Salem Open after the Brit accepted a wildcard into the ATP 250 tournament.

Murray made his first singles appearance since January at the Western & Southern Open, losing to Richard Gasquet in straight sets.

While the three-time grand slam champion has opted to skip the singles at the US Open, Murray will play in North Carolina at the hard-court tournament starting on Sunday.

"I've taken the wildcard to play Winston-Salem," he said on Thursday.

"It'll be my first time playing there. I've spoken to quite a few of the players who have played there and have heard they've got great facilities there for practice and the matches.

"What I need now is matches. I want to get myself back on the singles court and keep testing myself. Winston-Salem is a perfect place for me to do that.

"I know from speaking to players who have played there that the site is great – good facilities for practice, gym, the weather will be good from what I've seen. It's another step for me in the comeback and we'll see how it goes. Hopefully I can have a good run."

Murray has been in doubles action and is into the quarter-finals at the Western & Southern Open with Feliciano Lopez, with a clash against brother Jamie and Neal Skupski awaiting them.

Madison Keys ended Simona Halep's chances of reaching another Western & Southern Open final, while Naomi Osaka and Ashleigh Barty battled through.

A three-time runner-up in Cincinnati, Halep was edged by Keys at the WTA Premier event on Thursday.

The Romanian became the first top-four seed to fall, with Barty, Osaka and Karolina Pliskova booking their spots in the quarter-finals.

 

KEYS EDGES HALEP IN THRILLER

Keys, the American 16th seed, served 10 aces on her way to a 6-1 3-6 7-5 victory over fourth seed Halep in the third round.

Halep came from 3-0 down in the final set and saved a match point in the 10th game, but Keys broke again to claim her win.

Having lost finals in Cincinnati in 2015, 2017 and 2018, Halep fell short of reaching another decider.

Keys will face Venus Williams after the American veteran beat Donna Vekic 2-6 6-3 6-3.

 

BARTY, OSAKA MOVE THROUGH

Barty was pushed before getting past Anett Kontaveit 4-6 7-5 7-5 in two hours, 10 minutes.

The Australian found herself 5-3 down in the final set before winning four straight games to advance.

Barty will meet Maria Sakkari, who upset Belarusian ninth seed Aryna Sabalenka 6-7 (4-7) 6-4 6-4.

Osaka was also forced to three sets by Hsieh Su-wei before claiming a 7-6 (7-3) 5-7 6-2 victory.

Awaiting the Japanese star in the last eight is Sofia Kenin, who beat Elina Svitolina for the second time in as many tournaments with a 6-3 7-6 (7-3) victory.

 

PLISKOVA, KUZNETSOVA PROGRESS

Pliskova, the 2016 champion, is yet to drop a set and was too good for qualifier Rebecca Peterson 7-5 6-4.

The Czech will meet Svetlana Kuznetsova after the 34-year-old wildcard crushed Sloane Stephens 6-1 6-2.

Roger Federer crashed out of the Western & Southern Open after a "perfect" performance from Andrey Rublev, while Novak Djokovic moved through.

Federer, a seven-time champion in Cincinnati, was stunned by Rublev in his first meeting with the 21-year-old Russian.

Djokovic, meanwhile, had no such troubles, keeping his title defence on track with a comfortable win over Pablo Carreno Busta to reach the quarter-finals.

 

FEDERER FALLS TO PERFECTION

Rublev, a qualifier at the ATP Masters 1000 event, stunned Federer 6-3 6-4 in just over an hour.

The Swiss 20-time grand slam champion praised Rublev, who converted three of four break points in his win.

"If I play Rafael Nadal or Novak Djokovic, I know more or less what they are going to do or can do. That's different with a player you play for the first time," Federer said, via the ATP Tour website.

"It's maybe a small advantage to have over us, but regardless, you've still got to hit the corners, hit the lines, keep it going. He did exactly that. He was really perfect today. It was a great performance."

Rublev next meets fellow Russian Daniil Medvedev after the ninth seed thrashed Jan-Lennard Struff 6-2 6-1.

DJOKOVIC DOMINATES

Djokovic made it eight straight wins at the tournament by brushing past Carreno Busta 6-3 6-4 in 90 minutes.

The Serbian controlled the first set before being tested in the second, but Carreno Busta failed to take his chances, losing to Djokovic for the third time in as many meetings.

Djokovic will face Lucas Pouille, who upset eighth seed Karen Khachanov 6-7 (3-7) 6-4 6-2.

BAUTISTA AGUT, GOFFIN INTO LAST EIGHT

Roberto Bautista Agut, the Spanish 11th seed, needed just an hour to thrash Miomir Kecmanovic 6-1 6-2.

He will meet Richard Gasquet after the 33-year-old Frenchman proved too good for Diego Schwartzman 7-6 (8-6) 6-3.

The other quarter-final is between David Goffin and Yoshihito Nishioka after their wins over Adrian Mannarino and Alex de Minaur respectively.

Meanwhile, there will be a doubles showdown between the Murray brothers after Andy and Feliciano Lopez moved into the quarter-finals, where Jamie and Neal Skupski await.

Novak Djokovic continued his winning run at the Western & Southern Open, cruising past Pablo Carreno Busta in the last 16 on Thursday.

The world number one made it eight straight wins in Cincinnati by easing past Carreno Busta 6-3 6-4 at the ATP Masters 1000 event.

Djokovic was in control throughout against the Spaniard, maintaining his perfect record against Carreno Busta with a third win.

The defending champion and 16-time grand slam winner will face Frenchman Lucas Pouille in the quarter-finals.

Djokovic won 12 straight points during the opening set, including breaking serve in the sixth game with a forehand pass at the net.

It was a clean first set from the Serbian star as he combined 13 winners with just five unforced errors.

Carreno Busta squandered opportunities early in the second set and he pulled a cross-court forehand wide to be broken in the third game.

Despite a much tighter set, that break was all Djokovic needed as he moved into the last eight.

Roger Federer slumped out of the Western & Southern Open as the world number three suffered a shock defeat to qualifier Andrey Rublev.

A beaten finalist in Cincinnati last year, Federer had breezed past Juan Ignacio Londero in the previous round but the 38-year-old turned in a below-par performance on Thursday.

Rublev, who had already knocked out Stan Wawrinka at the tournament, broke the seven-time Cincinnati champion twice in the first set, with some exquisite shots keeping the 20-time grand slam winner out of his rhythm.

Federer improved in the second set, but it was Rublev who forced the first crucial break to take a 4-3 lead, with the 21-year-old holding his nerve to serve out a famous victory.

Federer started badly by losing his opening service game and while he converted a third break point to get back on level terms, Rublev repeated the trick to go 3-1 ahead.

Federer rallied to hold serve but could not handle Rublev's power, the Russian wrapping up the first set within 29 minutes.

Swiftly realising he had to up his level, Federer was clinical on serve at the start of the second set, though he could not force an opportunity to break his opponent.

The world number 70 took full advantage, eventully breaking Federer to edge himself 4-3 ahead.

Federer held his opponent off in the next game, yet Rublev did not let the opportunity of an upset slip from his grasp, clinching a 6-3 6-4 victory on the first of two match points before shedding tears on court.

Rublev will now face Daniil Medvedev in the quarter-finals after the world number eight's win over Jan-Lennard Struff, while Federer's exit paves the way for world number one Novak Djokovic to retain his crown.

Nick Kyrgios has been fined $113,000 and warned he could face a ban on top of that initial punishment after his ill-mannered exit from the Western & Southern Open.

The Australian hurled abuse at umpire Fergus Murphy, describing him as "the worst, hands down", during a second-round defeat to Russian Karen Khachanov.

At one stage, Kyrgios violently smashed two rackets away from the gaze of the crowd in Cincinnati as he took a bathroom break, without permission from Murphy, between the second and third sets.

He has had previous run-ins with Murphy and called him "a tool" at the end of Wednesday's match.

The ATP, which runs men's tennis, came down hard on Kyrgios and issued a succession of fines for unsportsmanlike conduct, made up of four separate $20,000 penalties and one for $5,000.

He was given a further $20,000 punishment for verbal abuse, a $5,000 penalty for an audible obscenity and a $3,000 fine for leaving the court without permission.

Kyrgios, who was handed a ban from the tour for eight tournament weeks in late 2016, could find himself suspended again over his conduct.

It could mean the volatile 24-year-old's place at the upcoming US Open is at risk.

In a statement received by Omnisport, the ATP said: "In addition to the on-site fines announced today the ATP is looking further into what happened during and immediately after the match to see if additional action is warranted under the player major offence section of the code.

"That could result in an additional fine and/or suspension."

Kyrgios, who won the Washington Open title earlier this month, lost in three sets to Khachanov.

Stefanos Tsitsipas and Alexander Zverev were surprise second-round casualties at the Western & Southern Open, where Andrey Rublev set up a showdown with a seven-time champion.

Tsitsipas was sent packing following a shock defeat to Jan-Lennard Struff, while Zverev was surprisingly upstaged by Miomir Kecmanovic in three sets.

Fellow seed Kei Nishikori also exited the ATP Masters 1000 tournament but Rublev earned a meeting against Roger Federer.

 

STRUFF STRUTS HIS STUFF IN TSITSIPAS UPSET

Tsitsipas was tamed by Germany's Struff, who claimed a 6-4 6-7 (5-7) 7-6 (8-6) victory after two hours, 14 minutes in Cincinnati.

The Greek fifth seed managed to save three match points from 6-3 down in the third-set tie-break, but Struff was not to be denied his fifth win in his past 10 matches against top-10 opposition.

Struff's reward is a last-16 clash against Daniil Medvedev, who beat Benoit Paire 7-6 (7-2) 6-1.

 

ZVEREV TALLIES 20 DOUBLE FAULTS IN EXIT

World number six Zverev surrendered a lead as he went down 6-7 (4-7) 6-2 6-4 to Kecmanovic.

Zverev struggled after winning the opening set, recording a career-high 20 double faults to fall to 0-5 at the Masters event.

Kecmanovic, who reached his maiden Masters quarter-final in Indian Wells, will play 11th seed Roberto Bautista Agut for a spot in the last eight.

Spaniard Bautista Agut outlasted Frances Tiafoe 6-3 3-6 6-1. Meanwhile, sixth seed Nishikori lost to fellow Japanese Yoshihito Nishioka 7-6 (7-2) 6-4.

 

FEDERER AWAITS RUBLEV AFTER WAWRINKA WIN

From one Swiss to another. Russian Rublev dispatched Stan Wawrinka 6-4 6-4 to book a date with Federer.

Rublev saved all five break points against three-time grand slam champion Wawrinka.

The 21-year-old can now look forward to a first meeting with last year's runner-up Federer.

The likes of Karen Khachanov, David Goffin, Alex de Minaur and Richard Gasquet also progressed to the last 16.

Naomi Osaka and Simona Halep battled into the last 16 at the Western & Southern Open, while Ashleigh Barty crushed Maria Sharapova.

Osaka is back at world number one and the Japanese star moved through her second-round match at the WTA Premier event in Cincinnati on Wednesday.

Like Osaka, Halep – a three-time runner-up – was tested, while Barty needed less than 90 minutes to thrash Sharapova.

 

OSAKA, HALEP PUSHED TO THREE

Osaka needed more than two hours to overcome Aliaksandra Sasnovich 7-6 (7-3) 2-6 6-2 in the second round.

She had won her previous three meetings with the Belarusian in straight sets, but was pushed at the hard-court tournament.

Osaka will next face Hsieh Su-wei, who got past qualifier Jennifer Brady 7-6 (11-9) 6-3.

Halep, a finalist at the event in 2015, 2017 and 2018, came from a set and a break down to beat Ekaterina Alexandrova 3-6 7-5 6-4.

The Romanian will meet Madison Keys, who eased past Daria Kasatkina 6-4 6-1.

 

BARTY BRUSHES PAST SHARAPOVA

A surprise last-32 loser at the Rogers Cup, Barty dominated Sharapova in a 6-4 6-1 victory.

The Australian broke serve four times during her 40th win of the season while continuing Sharapova's rough 2019.

Sharapova, a five-time grand slam champion, holds just an 8-6 win-loss record in 2019.

Barty will meet Anett Kontaveit, who was too good for Polish teenager Iga Swiatek 6-4 7-6 (7-2).

 

PLISKOVA, SVITOLINA THROUGH ON GOOD DAY FOR SEEDS

Champion in 2016, Karolina Pliskova was untroubled by Wang Yafan, winning 6-1 6-3.

Meanwhile, Aryna Sabalenka, the ninth seed, cruised past Zheng Saisai 6-4 6-3.

Elina Svitolina will face Sofia Kenin after their 6-4 6-1 wins over Elise Mertens and Zarina Diyas respectively, while Sloane Stephens and Donna Vekic – who beat Victoria Azarenka – progressed along with Svetlana Kuznetsova and Rebecca Peterson.

Serena Williams withdrew from the Western & Southern Open ahead of her opening match due to the back injury she suffered in Toronto.

Williams, 37, was due to face Zarina Diyas in Cincinnati on Tuesday, but pulled out as the American great continues to struggle with her back.

The 23-time grand slam champion retired during the Rogers Cup final against Bianca Andreescu on Sunday due to back spasms.

"I came to Mason on Sunday and have tried everything to be ready to play tonight, and was still hopeful after my practice this morning," two-time champion Williams said, via the tournament's Twitter account.

"But unfortunately my back is still not right."

Williams' withdrawal is a concern with the US Open less than two weeks away and the veteran still aiming to equal Margaret Court's record of 24 grand slam titles.

Jessica Pegula, the Citi Open champion, has taken Williams' place and will face Diyas, who knocked her out in qualifying.

Former champion Juan Martin del Potro has withdrawn from the US Open as he continues his recovery from knee surgery.

Del Potro, 30, underwent successful surgery on a fractured right kneecap in June and the Argentinian will miss the year's final grand slam.

The 2009 champion and last year's runner-up at Flushing Meadows, Del Potro's career has been ruined by wrist injuries and the US Open marks the third major he will miss in 2019.

Del Potro, ranked 12th in the world, returned to the top 10 in the rankings in January 2018 after three and a half years.

The US Open has been Del Potro's best grand slam, where he holds a 35-9 win-loss record to go with his two finals appearances.

Denis Kudla moves into the main draw in New York, with Chris Eubanks receiving the wildcard initially given to his American compatriot.

Page 1 of 144
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.