124 Olympic/Paralympic aspirants to benefit from JMD$45m in government support

By April 08, 2021

The Jamaican government will provide more than JMD$45 million in direct financial support to athletes preparing for this summer’s Tokyo Olympic Games and Paralympic Games.

The funding will be provided under the Government’s Athletes Assistance Programme that was initiated last year but which was discontinued after the Olympics Games were postponed because of the Covid-19 pandemic.

“The Ministry in collaboration with the Institute of Sports is providing financial support for those who are preparing for the Olympics.  Approximately 124 athletes will benefit from the initiative,” said Jamaica’s Sports Minister Olivia Grange.

“They will be provided with funds at two week periods from now through to the Olympics.  It will total approximately 45 million dollars in support.”

Athletes in six disciplines including swimming, rugby, gymnastics, boxing, karate and track and field will begin receiving disbursements in a matter of days as the final list of athletes is now being validated by the Athletes Assistance Programme Committee.

Payment of stipends to Paralympic athletes will begin in three weeks in keeping with the commitment of the Government of Jamaica to provide support for 18 weeks leading up to the Paralympic Games.

The Athletes Assistance Programme was implemented for the first time in March 2020. The programme was suspended after International Olympic Committee and the Japanese government decided to postpone the Games.

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Leon Bailey a no-go as JFF names 30-man squad for Japan and Serbia friendlies in June Leon Bailey a no-go as JFF names 30-man squad for Japan and Serbia friendlies in June

    Leon Bailey and Michail Antonio will not be available for the Reggae Boyz matches against Japan and Serbia that have been scheduled for June as Jamaica’s senior squad continues its preparation for the CONCACAF Gold Cup in July and the World Cup qualifiers in September.

  • 'The key of to prepare well' - JRL operations directors confident Reggae Warriors will make good impression at World Cup 'The key of to prepare well' - JRL operations directors confident Reggae Warriors will make good impression at World Cup

    Jamaica Rugby League operations director, Jason Robinson, has tipped the team to make a big statement both on and off the field at the Rugby League World Cup this October.

    The Reggae Warriors beat Canada and the United States to qualify for the tournament in 2018 and will face New Zealand, Lebanon, and Ireland in the group stages of the event.

    While admitting that the task facing the first-timers will be a daunting one, Robinson remains confident the team has enough ability and experience to make a mark on the competition.

    “There’s jokes around Cool Runnings but I’ve played in three World Cup finals and I know the demands,” Robinson said.

    “We want to be as competitive as possible,” he added.

    “We’ve got a real mixture of guys, playing at all different levels. There will be some guys coming over from Jamaica and it’s going to be great for seasoned campaigners like Michael Lawrence and Ashton Golding, while we’ve Dom Young over in the NRL.

    “The key is to prepare well and, come the World Cup, give a good account of ourselves.”

    The team on Tuesday revealed that British sportswear manufacturer PlayerLayer would be the team’s official kit supplier.  The company’s fabrics are made from coffee and bamboo.

  • UEFA upholds four-match ban for Roofe for 'assaulting'  Slavia Prague goalkeeper UEFA upholds four-match ban for Roofe for 'assaulting' Slavia Prague goalkeeper

    Rangers forward and prospective Jamaica international, Kemar Roofe, has seen an appeal to reduce a four-match UEFA competition ban rejected, after an egregious tackle on Slavia Prague goalkeeper Ondrej Kolar.

    The incident happened during Rangers' 2-0 Europa League defeat, at the hands of the Czech side, back in March.  Roofe was given a straight red card after firmly planting the bottom of his boots into the face of the keeper as the duo clashed in an aerial duel.

    Kolar was left with lacerations and a fractured skull, but Rangers believed the punishment taken against the player was too harsh.  UEFA, however, upheld the decision.

    “The appeal lodged by Rangers FC has been dismissed,” the release read.

    “Consequently, the UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body's (CEDB) decision of 13 April 2021 is confirmed,” it continued.

     “The CEDB had decided to suspend Rangers FC player, Mr. Kemar Roofe, for four (4) UEFA club competition matches for which he would be otherwise eligible, for dangerously assaulting another player.”

    The UK-born Roofe, who is believed to be in the process of securing documentation to represent the Jamaican national team, will miss the start of Rangers’ Champions League qualifying bid, which kicks off on August 3.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.