Going for Olympic gold is well worth Covid-19 risk says world champion Anderson Peters

By February 03, 2021

Anderson Peters, the 2019 World Championships javelin gold medalists believes it is well worth the risk travelling to Japan to compete at the Olympic Games this summer, despite the threat posed to his safety by the Covid-19 virus.

Peters, 23, who is eager to add an Olympic title to his World, Pan American and NACAC titles, admits to Sportsmax.TV that he is concerned about his safety, especially against the backdrop of news of recent spikes in Japan that have organizers questioning whether the Games that were postponed from last summer, should go ahead this year.

However, according to the Grenadian national record holder, he believes “there is no reward without great risk.”

“I am concerned about my safety but if we take the vaccine and take the necessary precaution we are going to be fine,” he said.

“Who would pass up the chance to compete at the Olympics. I can’t have Covid for the rest of my life but I will be Olympic champion for the rest of my life.”

Peters said he is stronger than ever after recovering from knee surgery done in October 2019, and under the guidance of Paul Phillips at the Mississippi State University (MSU), he has been putting up numbers in training like he never had before.

“I am stronger. The task is on me and my coach to transition that strength into my throws,” he said.

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • US Open champion Thiem joins Nadal in skipping Tokyo Olympics US Open champion Thiem joins Nadal in skipping Tokyo Olympics

    Dominic Thiem has joined Rafael Nadal in announcing he will not compete at the Olympic Games in Tokyo.

    The 27-year-old US Open champion pinned his decision on the belief he would struggle to find his best form, having endured a tough 2021 season so far.

    Thiem has lost his last three matches, including a first-round defeat to Pablo Andujar at the French Open, and has an overall 9-8 win-loss record for the year.

    World number five Thiem confirmed, however, that he intends to play Wimbledon, which begins on June 28, and will then focus on getting in the best possible shape for his grand slam title defence at Flushing Meadows.

    Nadal said earlier on Thursday that he would play neither Wimbledon nor the Olympics, where the tennis tournament starts on July 24, because he wished to recover from his clay-court season efforts.

    Women's tour superstar Naomi Osaka has elected to miss Wimbledon but said on Thursday she would represent Japan at her home Olympics.

    Thiem revealed his Olympics decision in a statement posted on his Twitter page, saying: "After talking with my team and analysing the situation I have taken the very difficult decision to withdraw from competing in the Tokyo Olympics.

    "For me, like all athletes, taking part in the Olympics and representing my country is a huge honour and that makes this decision even tougher. However, 2021 did not start as expected and I don't feel ready to play my best in Tokyo.

    "These last two weeks I have been training hard – and I’m starting to improve my conditioning and concentration little by little. My goal is to work hard the coming weeks, give my best at Wimbledon and keep training and hopefully defend my US Open title.

    "I wish the entire Austrian team traveling to Tokyo all the best. I am young and I hope to be able to play for Austria at the Olympics in Paris 2024."

  • Osaka to skip Wimbledon but eyes Olympics return Osaka to skip Wimbledon but eyes Olympics return

    Naomi Osaka will not take part in Wimbledon, but is expecting to return to the court in time to feature for Japan at the Tokyo Olympics.

    Osaka withdrew from the French Open having won her first-round match, after she was fined and threatened with further punishment – and possible expulsion from the grand slam – for skipping obligatory media duties.

    The four-time grand slam champion had confirmed before Roland Garros that she would not be taking part in post-match news conferences, suggesting her mental health was not helped by having to attend the mandatory interviews.

    Osaka, the world number two, stated she has had "long bouts of depression" since winning the 2018 US Open title.

    With Wimbledon starting at the end of June, Osaka has decided to skip the third grand slam of the year, and instead take time away from tennis.

    However, she aims to be back to represent Japan in their home Olympic Games, which start next month.

    A statement from Osaka's representatives confirmed that she will miss Wimbledon while taking some personal time with friends and family, but that she will be ready for the Olympics.

    The 23-year-old's withdrawal came on the same day that Rafael Nadal – a beaten semi-finalist at Roland Garros – confirmed he would not play at Wimbledon or the Olympics.

    Nadal, 35, explained that the quick turnaround from a gruelling campaign in Paris to another tough schedule at Wimbledon presented too much of a risk to his fitness.

  • Guyanese Olympian Aliann Pompey appointed head coach at St John's University Guyanese Olympian Aliann Pompey appointed head coach at St John's University

    After spending the last seven years at St John’s and last season as an associate head coach, four-time Guyanese Olympian Aliann Pompey has been appointed head coach of the school’s Track and Field and Cross Country programme.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.