IOC and Japan deny Tokyo 2020 Olympics set to be called off again

By Sports Desk January 22, 2021

Olympic chiefs have been joined by the Japanese government in denying a report that the Tokyo Games is poised to be called off for a second time.

The delayed Tokyo 2020 event is due to officially open on July 23 and close on August 8, having been put back by a year because of the COVID-19 health crisis.

However, with the pandemic still causing devastation in countries across the globe, there have been concerns that staging an Olympics in 2021 may be impractical.

British newspaper The Times quoted an unnamed senior Japanese government source as saying: "No one wants to be the first to say so but the consensus is that it’s too difficult. Personally, I don't think it's going to happen."

That is a perspective that is hotly disputed, with International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Thomas Bach telling Kyodo News: "We have at this moment, no reason whatsoever to believe that the Olympic Games in Tokyo will not open on the 23rd of July in the Olympic stadium in Tokyo.

"This is why there is no plan B and this is why we are fully committed to make these Games safe and successful."

Japan has strict border controls in place in an attempt to prevent travellers spreading coronavirus and bringing new strands of the virus into the country.

The IOC executive board is due to meet on January 27, when it is set to receive updates from the Tokyo organising committee.

A recent poll of Japanese public, conducted by broadcaster NHK, found there was widespread opposition to the Olympics going ahead this year.

The Times said Tokyo would look to host the 2032 Olympic Games.

Yet Australian John Coates, an IOC vice-president and chair of the Tokyo Coordination Commission, says the plan remains for the Games to be held in its current slot.

"There has been no discussion on cancellation," Mr Coates told The Ticket, an ABC radio show.

"At the end of the day, politicians do have to take into account the feelings of those inside their party and the general public.

"But this is not the message we are getting from Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga or the president of the Tokyo Organising Committee Yoshiro Mori, himself a former Prime Minister."

In Japan, deputy chief cabinet secretary Manabu Sakai told media that the prospect of a Games cancellation was not under consideration.

He said: "There is no such fact. I would like to deny it. The government is working as one to prepare for the success of the event this summer."

Related items

  • Marvel Muller back in Bayern training after COVID isolation Marvel Muller back in Bayern training after COVID isolation

    Thomas Muller returned to training at Bayern Munich on Thursday after the COVID-19 positive test that caused him to miss the Club World Cup final.

    The all-action attacking midfielder was dealt his coronavirus blow just hours before Bayern beat Tigres UANL 1-0 to be crowned club world champions in Qatar on February 11, forcing him to self-isolate.

    After two weeks away from the squad, and now clear of the virus, Muller was back at the club's training headquarters to be put through his paces.

    Bayern announced on their website: "Muller was able to train at Sabener Strasse again on Thursday for the first time after a period self-isolating at home due to testing positive for COVID-19.

    "Following final medical tests in the morning, the 31-year-old completed an individual session on the pitch alongside team training under the guidance of fitness boss Prof Dr Holger Broich."

    Muller is enjoying a stellar season and is one of just six players from Europe's 'top five' leagues to have reached double figures both in goals and assists across all competitions.

    He has 13 goals and 11 assists so far, and has created 81 chances in all.

    Borussia Dortmund's Jadon Sancho is the only other player from the Bundesliga to achieve the double to date, after 10 goals and 12 assists.

    Lagging some way behind Muller in the Bayern ranks is Serge Gnabry, who has managed only six goals and two assists in 28 appearances, figures that are also significantly down on what team-mates Leroy Sane (G: 8, A: 8) and Kingsley Coman (G: 6, A: 11) have achieved.

    Gnabry has had more playing time than his attacking midfield colleagues Sane and Coman, and he began the campaign with a hat-trick against Schalke in Bayern's opener.

    The former Arsenal youngster was substituted off in the Club World Cup final because of a torn muscle in his left thigh.

    Bayern said on Thursday that Gnabry had undergone intensive rehabilitation in recent days and was able to resume training with Hansi Flick's squad.

    That may see him come into contention, perhaps along with Muller, for Saturday's Bundesliga home clash with Cologne.

  • Six Nations 2021: France v Scotland postponed due to coronavirus outbreak Six Nations 2021: France v Scotland postponed due to coronavirus outbreak

    France's Six Nations clash with Scotland in Paris has been postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak within the hosts' squad.

    Earlier on Thursday, it was announced France had suspended training ahead of the fixture at Stade de France due to a further COVID-19 case.  

    Tournament organisers had said 24 hours earlier that the match would still take place despite the situation developing within France's squad.  

    However, following the latest development, a Six Nations spokesperson confirmed to Stats Perform News that the game will not take place.  

    A Six Nations statement, as reported by the Guardian, read: "The Six Nations testing oversight group (TOG) met today to review the situation in the French camp.   

    "They unanimously recommended the postponement of the France v Scotland match. This will be ratified later today by the Six Nations Council.   

    "We will be working on the rescheduling of this fixture and will communicate the date in due course." 

    Captain Charles Ollivon, scrum-half Antoine Dupont and Brice Dulin were among the French players to have tested positive, while head coach Fabien Galthie also contracted the virus following the 15-13 win over Ireland in Dublin. 

    France were originally given the go-ahead to resume high-intensity training after no further positive tests were returned on Wednesday, but it remains to seen now when the fixture will be held.

    Next weekend's rest period is thought to be considered a risk due to the ongoing situation within the French squad. 

    Les Bleus have won two out of two in the tournament so far, with Scotland following up an opening win against England at Twickenham with a home defeat to Wales.

  • Five Inter staff members test positive for coronavirus Five Inter staff members test positive for coronavirus

    Inter have confirmed that five members of staff have tested positive for coronavirus.

    Managing directors Alessandro Antonello and Giuseppe Marotta, sporting director Piero Ausilio and lawyer Angelo Capellini have all returned positive tests.

    An unspecified member of the Serie A leaders' technical staff has also tested positive for COVID-19.

    A statement on Inter's official website read: "All coaches and the entire team will follow the procedures set out in the health protocol."

    Inter will be desperate to ensure that this outbreak does not spread to their first-team squad or coaches.

    The Italians extended their lead at the summit of table to four points with a 3-0 win over city rivals Milan last time out.

    With no European commitments over the remainder of the season, Antonio Conte's men are strong favourites to end an 11-year wait for the title.

    They last lifted the Scudetto during Jose Mourinho's spell at the club in 2010, which also brought European Cup success.

    Juventus, who have won the last nine Serie A titles, sit eight points back in third place with a game in hand.

    Inter are next in action on Sunday, when they face Genoa at the San Siro.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.