Fraser-Pryce destroys field to take top spot at London Anniversary Games

By Sports Desk July 21, 2019

Jamaica sprint queen Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce made light work of the field to claim the women’s 100m at the London Anniversary Games on Sunday.

All the pre-race talk surrounded a possible competitive match-up between Fraser-Pryce and upcoming star Dina Asher-Smith the hometown favourite.  In the end, the race proved to be very one-sided.  Fraser-Pryce showcased a trademark bullet start before showing the rest of the field a clean pair of heels.  

The Jamaican stopped the clock at an impressive 10.78, well ahead of Asher-Smith who was second in 10.92.  The Ivory Coast’s Marie-Josée Ta Lou picked up the bronze medal with a time of 10.98.  Holland’s Dafne Schippers was disqualified after registering a false start.  The time was Fraser-Pryce’s third-fastest run this year and the third time the athlete has clocked a time in the 10.7s range.  Her best time this season remains a sizzling 10.73, which was recorded at Jamaica’s national trials in Kingston last month.

"It's a long season and I've been training and training," said 32-year-old Fraser-Pryce, who won Olympic 100m gold in 2008 and repeated the feat on the same London track four years later.

"To come out here and run 10.78 is a fabulous time. I feel good. The aim is to make sure when I get to Doha (world championships) that I'm on point."

 

Related items

  • Kacey Aldridge's five-wicket haul wrecks West Indies U19s Kacey Aldridge's five-wicket haul wrecks West Indies U19s

    A five-wicket haul from medium-pacer Kacey Aldridge proved decisive on Thursday as England defeated West Indies by five-wickets in Day-Five action of Rising Stars U19 Tri-Series.

    England, who lost to Sri Lanka on Wednesday by 19 runs via the DLS method, decided to bowl first this time and that decision proved to be the correct one.

    Opener Kirk McKenzie, who replaced Mbeki Joseph, and wicket-keeper batsman Leonardo Julien, both were dismissed without scoring by the player of the match Aldridge (9.1-3-18-5) as the West Indies slipped to 41-4 in the 15th over and eventually folded for a paltry score of 116.

     Captain Kimani Melius (35) did his best to steady the ship but when he was bowled by off-spinner Hamidullah Qadri charging down the wicket, so went the home teams batting resistance.

    The run chase was relatively comfortable for England although they lost half their wickets before they reached the winning score of 117.

    West Indies spin duo off left-arm spinner Ashmead Nedd (10-5-9-1) and off-spinner Matthew Patrick (10-2-32-2) made a valiant effort with the ball on a surface that was giving them assistance, but they simply didn’t have enough runs to defend.

    Ben Charlesworth top-scored for the English with 29, while Jordon Cox and Thomas Clarke each scored 24 for the winners.

     Melius was not happy with the collective effort of the batsmen.

     “It’s just a matter of our batsmen converting starts to big scores once they get set. The bowlers have been bowling well, so once the batsmen can put at least 220 runs on the board they (the bowlers) could have something to defend”, Melius said while reflecting on today’s loss and looking ahead to Saturday key game versus Sri Lanka.

     “We (the batsman) have been lackadaisical and haven’t shown enough intent and have to keep the game simple.”

     

  • Tomori signs new five-year Chelsea deal Tomori signs new five-year Chelsea deal

    Chelsea have announced Fikayo Tomori has signed a new long-term contract, with the young defender committing his future to the club through to 2024.

    Tomori is one of the players to have earned the trust of Frank Lampard this season, having shone for the Chelsea boss when on loan at Derby County last season.

    The 21-year-old centre-back has started 11 Premier League games and made his England debut in a Euro 2020 qualifier against Kosovo last month.

    Though Chelsea are reportedly set to spend in January having had their transfer ban reduced on appeal, Tomori has been rewarded for his fine form with a new deal.

    "It's obviously a very proud moment for myself and my family. I've been at the club since I was seven years old so I don't really know much else other than Chelsea," Tomori told the club's official website.

    "The club has been so good to me, looking after and developing me during that time into the player and the person I am today. 

    "It's a dream come true to sign a new five-year contract. I'm really happy the club have shown this faith in me and I'm just excited to carry on."

    Tomori is the latest Chelsea academy product to sign new terms this year, following team-mates Mason Mount and Callum Hudson-Odoi, who have also broken into the senior England squad.

    "We are very happy to see another fantastic young player come through from our academy into the senior team," said Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia. 

    "Fikayo has been with us since he was seven years old and has contributed to many Chelsea successes at youth level.

    "Having enjoyed an impressive loan spell at Derby last season, Fikayo had a strong start to this campaign and we are enjoying seeing him grow into a key player for us. We are delighted he has committed to the club for the coming years."

  • Moeen Ali: South Africa Test return felt too soon Moeen Ali: South Africa Test return felt too soon

    A return to the England Test team for the upcoming tour of South Africa would have felt too soon, all-rounder Moeen Ali has conceded.

    Moeen opted to take a break from the longest format after a chastening experience in the first Ashes Test with Australia at Edgbaston.

    He scored only four runs with the bat, suffering the ignominy of twice being undone by fellow off-spinner Nathan Lyon, while taking disappointing match figures of 3-172 with the ball.

    England went on to draw the five-match series, failing to regain the urn in the process, before losing a two-match series in New Zealand 1-0.

    That led to talk of Moeen returning for four Tests in South Africa, but Jack Leach and Matt Parkinson were selected as the slow-bowling options in the 17-man squad.

    "It just felt too soon. The past few years have been so full-on and the plan behind my break from Test cricket was to freshen up, enjoy some new environments and get my game back in good order," Moeen wrote in his column for the Guardian.

    "That is something that people perhaps don't realise is hard to do when you play all three international formats and particularly so when you are an all-rounder.

    "The time away has felt quite liberating. Since my international debut in 2014, the miles on the clock have probably crept up and Test cricket is the level where the pressure and scrutiny are greatest.

    "Combining it all had become a bit draining and rushing back now might have seen nothing change in this regard.

    "Playing 60 Tests has meant so much to me, especially picking up 181 wickets and five five-wicket hauls, which for a guy who grew up thinking as a batter first is something I never thought possible.

    "My batting is where I really want to find form again, though. Five Test centuries suggests I have it in me."

    Moeen, who is set to play in the Pakistan Super League for Multan Sultans, did not rule out the possibility of featuring in the tour of Sri Lanka in March next year.

    He claimed 18 wickets – the same tally as left-armer Leach - in a 3-0 whitewash in England's last Test series in the country, back in November 2018.

    "The back end of the PSL coincides with the Sri Lanka Test tour in March and at this stage it is a tournament I intend to see out," he added. 

    "But the franchise's head coach, Andy Flower, is someone I know I can talk to, if and when the England conversation arises again. So let's see what happens."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.