Hughes considers doubling up at Doha World Champs

By May 14, 2019

Even while revealing that he spending more time perfecting his 100m, 2018 European champion Zharnel Hughes said he is considering taking on the sprint double at the IAAF World Championships in Doha, Qatar at the end of September.

In 2018, Hughes had his best year in the 100m racing to a personal best of 9.91 in Kingston that June. It was the fifth fastest time in the world, and faster than the 9.95 he clocked while winning the blue ribbon event at the European Championships in Berlin and Glasgow in August.

However, the 23-year-old Hughes is not likely to rest on his laurels. He believes doing that could be harmful to his plans to be even better in 2019.

“The World Championships are quite far so I am learning to be patient and learn as I go along. That includes getting stronger in the gym and working on my phases in training, learning to understand the event more,” he said of his plans to improve over the 100m. “2018 is 2018, I am not going to dwell on that too much because you will get lost in the past so I am trying to focus and do just as well in 2019.”

In early 2018, Hughes told Sportsmax.TV that he was not good enough to compete indoors because he simply was fast enough. He said the hard work he put in afterwards has perhaps helped him change that point of view.

“Most definitely! My coach (Glen Mills) has been teaching me a lot over the 100, so each phase in that 100, adds up to a fast time. I was patient enough and I understood the event a lot better last year, hence the reason why I was able to go sub-10, and this year I am hoping to go even faster,” he said.

Had it not been for a disqualification, Hughes would have added a 200m Commonwealth Games title to his list of medals last year. He was stripped of first place after crossing the line first when he was deemed to have obstructed Trinidad and Tobago’s Jereem Richards at the line.

In spite of that, he has not turned his back on the event.

“My coach and I are working a lot on the 100 but I have not given up on the 200,” he said. “Hopefully, according to plans we are looking to double up at the World Champs.”

 

 

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Jamaican triathlete selected for specialized development programme Jamaican triathlete selected for specialized development programme

    National Triathlete Llori Sharpe is one of three Caribbean athletes selected to participate in the UWI-CDB-Regional Emerging Athlete Development Programme in Barbados next month.

  • Havana Solaun is final player named to Reggae Girlz World Cup squad Havana Solaun is final player named to Reggae Girlz World Cup squad

    Twenty-six-year-old midfielder Havana Solaun is the final player selected to Jamaica’s Reggae Girlz squad that will campaign in the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup in France next month.

  • PSG president Al-Khelaifi denies alleged corruption relating to World Athletics Championship PSG president Al-Khelaifi denies alleged corruption relating to World Athletics Championship

    Nasser Al-Khelaifi's lawyer has denied an allegation of corruption against his client relating to the hosting rights for the World Athletics Championships.

    According to reports in France, the Paris Saint-Germain president is accused of validating an illicit payment of €3.1million to help Doha's bid to stage the finals in 2017.

    However, his lawyer, Francis Szpiner, has described the allegations as "totally inaccurate".

    "Nasser Al-Khelaifi's name does not appear on any of the documents in the file," Szpiner told Le Parisien in reference to a case compiled by investigating judge Renaud Van Ruymbeke in Paris.

    "It should be noted that Nasser Al-Khelaifi's initial hearing was only the result of a regrettable confusion by the investigating magistrate," Szpiner added, with Al-Khelaifi having voluntarily appeared before a judicial inquiry investigating the case in March.

    "Nasser Al-Khelaifi has never been operationally involved in Doha's bid for the World Athletics Championships."

    Qatar was unsuccessful in bids for the 2017 event and the 2020 Olympics but won the right to host the 2019 World Athletics Championships, which are due to take place between September 28 and October 6.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.