Japanese Olympic Committee president denies indictment reports amid corruption probe

By Sports Desk January 11, 2019

The president of Japan's Olympic Committee has denied reports that he has been indicted after French judicial authorities launched an investigation into allegations of corruption in relation to the awarding of the 2020 Tokyo Games.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) on Friday stated it has been in close contact with authorities in France after Tsunekazu Takeda was placed under investigation.

Takeda, also the IOC's marketing chair, said he was interviewed in Paris regarding the bidding for the Games and vowed continue to cooperating fully in the probe, but said he was not indicted.

"It appears that wrong information, to the effect that I was indicted, is being released." said Takeda.

He added: "Note that this case is worrying Japanese nationals supporting us towards the 2020 Olympics and Paralympics, but I will continue to cooperate with the investigation onwards in order to clear up suspicions.

"Also, I appreciate your understanding that I cannot make detailed comments on the pending case under investigation."

The IOC stated: "The IOC is 'partie civile' in this investigation and has been in close contact with the French judicial authorities. The IOC Ethics commission has opened a file and will continue to monitor the situation -  and is meeting today.  Mr Takeda continues to enjoy the full presumption of innocence.

"These allegations refer to events before the IOC introduced far reaching reforms.  With the reforms of Olympic Agenda 2020 the IOC reinforced its code of ethics and introduced an approved list of consultants. 

"In order to be on the list the consultants have to declare that they respect the strict IOC rules on governance and ethics, and in particular anti-corruption.  Candidate cities can only hire consultants that are on the list."

Related items

  • North and South Korea want to co-host 2032 Olympics North and South Korea want to co-host 2032 Olympics

    North Korea and South Korea want to co-host the 2032 Olympic Games and have requested permission for unified teams to enter qualification for Tokyo 2020.

    The IOC confirmed on Friday that the two countries have declared their desire to host the Games together, although the candidature process for 2032 is yet to begin.

    IOC president Thomas Bach said of the initiative: "The discussions at the working meeting today are one further step showing how sport can once more make a contribution to peace on the Korean Peninsula and the world.

    "We have a good foundation to build on and make further progress ahead of the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020. Sport will continue to build bridges and demonstrate the unifying power of the Olympic Games.

    "Therefore, we warmly welcome the historic initiative of the two Koreas to put forward a joint Korean candidature for the Olympic Games 2032."

    Delegations from North Korea and South Korea marched together at the Winter Olympics in PyeongChang last year and joined forces for a women's ice hockey team.

    The two Koreas hope to enter unified teams into the Tokyo 2020 qualification process for women's basketball, women's hockey, the judo mixed team event and in three rowing events apiece for men and women.

    "There are still ongoing talks between the [National Olympic Committees] of [South Korea] and [North Korea] and their governments on possible additional unified Korean teams in other sports," read an IOC statement.

    "The IOC informed them that it will consider further requests if these are made in due time ahead of the Olympic qualification competitions."

  • Waste not, want not - Tokyo 2020 medals to be made from recycled electronic devices Waste not, want not - Tokyo 2020 medals to be made from recycled electronic devices

    All medals at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games will be made from recycled waste after organisers revealed they were on track to reach their target of collecting enough metals.

    In April 2017, the organising committee launched an initiative to recoup unwanted electronic devices with companies across Japan, as well as athletes and the general public, lending their support to the drive.

    The scheme planned to collect 30.3 kilograms of gold, 4,100kg of silver and 2,700kg of bronze in order to produce the medals, and on Friday it was confirmed that those targets were expected to be achieved by the end of March.

    The release from organisers confirmed that over five million mobile phones had been handed in, contributing to almost 50,000 tons of devices.

    As of the end of October 2018, 93.7 per cent of the gold and 85.4 per cent of the silver required had been collected, while the full amount of bronze had been sourced as early as June of that year.

    The designs for the medals for both Games are due to be revealed later in 2019.

  • Nadal wants to play at Davis Cup, Tokyo Olympics Nadal wants to play at Davis Cup, Tokyo Olympics

    Rafael Nadal confirmed he would like to play at this year's Davis Cup, while he is also eyeing the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.

    The Spanish 17-time grand slam champion played one Davis Cup tie last year – against Germany in April.

    But the event has been remodelled, drawing some criticism, to a shorter format, with the Finals to be played during one week in Madrid in November.

    Nadal, who started his year by reaching the Australian Open final, said he wanted to feature for the hosts in a boost for the Davis Cup, largely reformatted due to top players making themselves unavailable.

    "I would like to be there, but there are still a lot of months to go, seven or eight months, almost nine," he said on Thursday.

    "It's very difficult to predict what is going on in nine months, but my hope is to be there."

    Nadal has also set his sights on the Olympics next year as he looks to add to the men's singles gold medal he won in 2008.

    "You are talking about more than a year and a half away. I don't know what is going to happen but, as I already said, my hope is to be there," he said.

    "I know Tokyo's going to be spectacular so I will do my best to be there."

    Nadal is expected to resume his season at the Mexican Open, which begins in Acapulco on February 25.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.