T&T 4x100 athletes officially advised of 2008 gold medals

By Sports Desk December 13, 2018

Trinidad and Tobago's 2008 men's 4x100m relay team have been officially awarded gold medals by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

The team of Richard Thompson, Marc Burns, Keston Bledman, Emmanuel Callender and Aaron Armstrong were awarded the gold after the Jamaican relay team’s members, including Usain Bolt, were stripped of their medals when Nesta Carter was found guilty last year of using a banned substance.

The Trinidad and Tobago team had finished behind the Jamaicans inside Beijing’s Bird’s Nest in Beijing.

Brian Lewis, President of the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee, said he received a letter from the IOC around 5.15 pm on Friday, went through it with staff then contacted the athletes to let them know.

He said the athletes have until January 7 to return their silver medals as part of the process.

He said the athletes have four choices regarding the re-allocation ceremony. They can opt to receive them at the next Olympic Games, at the Olympic Museum, the World Champs or the TTOC's annual awards on December 29.

Lewis said he is pushing for the team to receive a medal bonus which could hopefully be presented at the awards. The medal bonus programme was introduced when he became TTOC president.

"I will take a proposal to the committee that even though there was no medal bonus programme in place in 2008 or 2012 that the five athletes receive medal bonus as per the current medal bonus used for 2016 Olympics," he said.

The bonus for the relay team’s gold medal from the Rio Olympics was US$20,000 to be shared, he said.

The next executive meeting is on December 12.

Lewis said he is happy for the team but as President of the Caribbean Association of National Olympic Committees (Canoc), he is conflicted.

"Those athletes, in particular, have served Trinidad and Tobago with dignity, patriotism, pride and an indomitable will throughout their careers But as I said with my Canoc hat on I feel a bit of empathy for the great man and our Jamaican brothers and sisters. Usain Bolt has conducted himself with class in this difficult situation," he said.

Lewis said the team has now joined the ranks of  Olympic gold medallists Hasely Crawford and Keshorn Walcott.

In 2016, the 4x100 relay team that placed third in the London Olympics in 2012 were upgraded to silver after American sprinter Tyson Gay received a one-year ban for testing positive for anabolic steroids.

Related items

  • Barbadian 400m college star smashes 35-year-old national record Barbadian 400m college star smashes 35-year-old national record

    The Barbados national record over 400 metres is coming ever closer to breaking the 45-second barrier after freshman at the University of Texas, Jonathan Jones, smashed a 35-year-old record over the distance on Saturday. 

  • Following season-best 6.73m jump, Chanice Porter encouraged by her progress Following season-best 6.73m jump, Chanice Porter encouraged by her progress

    On the heels of her season-best jump at the Meeting International D’Athletisme De La Grande Caribe Region Guadeloupe on Saturday, May 18, Chanice Porter is encouraged by her progression this season.

  • PSG president Al-Khelaifi denies alleged corruption relating to World Athletics Championship PSG president Al-Khelaifi denies alleged corruption relating to World Athletics Championship

    Nasser Al-Khelaifi's lawyer has denied an allegation of corruption against his client relating to the hosting rights for the World Athletics Championships.

    According to reports in France, the Paris Saint-Germain president is accused of validating an illicit payment of €3.1million to help Doha's bid to stage the finals in 2017.

    However, his lawyer, Francis Szpiner, has described the allegations as "totally inaccurate".

    "Nasser Al-Khelaifi's name does not appear on any of the documents in the file," Szpiner told Le Parisien in reference to a case compiled by investigating judge Renaud Van Ruymbeke in Paris.

    "It should be noted that Nasser Al-Khelaifi's initial hearing was only the result of a regrettable confusion by the investigating magistrate," Szpiner added, with Al-Khelaifi having voluntarily appeared before a judicial inquiry investigating the case in March.

    "Nasser Al-Khelaifi has never been operationally involved in Doha's bid for the World Athletics Championships."

    Qatar was unsuccessful in bids for the 2017 event and the 2020 Olympics but won the right to host the 2019 World Athletics Championships, which are due to take place between September 28 and October 6.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.