ISSA tasks coaches with saving 2021 Champs

By Sports Desk September 19, 2020

Jamaica’s Inter-secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA) has sought consensus and some direction from high school coaches regarding the possibility of staging the popular Boys and Girls Championship next year.

The event, which is typically staged in the month of March, was cancelled this year due to the credible threat of being a coronavirus super spreader event.  Since then, ISSA has announced the suspension of all school competitions scheduled for the Christmas term.

With no creditable solutions coming to the fore as yet regarding the best possible ways to returning to the staging of high school sports, amidst the pandemic, concerns had been raised regarding the protentional of next year’s event being cancelled as well.

In a letter issued to the coaches, ISSA was quick to point out that the December term cancellations had no impact on next year’s event.  But, in light of the need to satisfy restrictive COVID-19 protocols for staging the event, the body also pointed out that creative solutions were needed in order to host the competition.

“ISSA has cancelled all ISSA competitions scheduled for the 2020 Christmas term.  This decision, however, does not have any impact on the staging of the 2021 ISSA/GraceKennedy Boys and Girls Championships,” the letter read.

“However, the national COVID-19 protocols dictate that if Champs 2021 is to be a reality, then adjustments have to be made to the general structure and scheduling of the meet.  These changes could possibly have implications for the number of athletes, classes, events and days of Champs 2021,” it continued.

“We, therefore, invite each group of regional coaches (as per Regional Meets, Western, Central, Eastern, Corporate) to meet virtually amongst themselves and discuss possible suggestions as to what the 2021 ISSA/GraceKennedy Champs may look like in the context of COVID-19.  It is expected that from the regional discussions, coaches will submit their suggestions via an appointed team leader by email.”

The coaches will have until October 2, to submit their suggestions.

Related items

  • JFF signs MOU with JEI to support team for FIFA eWorld Cup JFF signs MOU with JEI to support team for FIFA eWorld Cup

     The Jamaica eSports Initiative (JEI) recently signed partnership deals with Business 2 Sports, Reggae Football and Flow Sports Digital as well as a Memorandum of Understanding with the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) in an ambitious bid to enhance the scope of the local gaming industry.

    “For many years, we have known that Jamaica has very talented gamers and these partnerships will continue to pave the way for us to be recognised on the world stage,” JEI president Gregory Moore said.

    The absence of the football season, due to the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, has seen a rise in online activity, with traditional sports continuing to face restrictions.  As such, the JFF has found a unique opportunity for itself and stakeholders to seize a piece of the growing eSports industry.

     “The JEI were the perfect partners for the JFF in creating the first Jamaican/JFF Esports team. The Federation is quite excited about this new venture and we look forward to the possibilities that Esports will bring for us in the future,” Onaje Bell, Director of Marketing, at the JFF said.

    The promising industry worth an estimated $USD1B is expected to double by 2023.  The JEI has several upcoming FIFA events in preparation for the qualification of the national FIFA Esports team in 2021.  The Global Series will lead to the eWorld Cup.

  • 'We will closely monitor Russell situation'- claims Harper, batsman turned down Windies but could play Lanka Premier League 'We will closely monitor Russell situation'- claims Harper, batsman turned down Windies but could play Lanka Premier League

    Cricket West Indies (CWI) chief selector Roger Harper insists he is keeping a watchful eye on the situation surrounding all-rounder Andre Russell after the player decided to spurn the team’s invitation to tour New Zealand because he needed time to ‘clear his head.’   

    The 32-year-old’s choice could be looked upon as quite a reasonable one given his recent struggles, particularly in this season’s Indian Premier League (IPL).  According to reports, however, Russell was recently drafted to take part in the Lankan Premier League, which will begin on November 21 and roughly take part at the same time as the team’s tour of New Zealand.

     When pressed on the issue, Harper insisted he could not draw any conclusions and could only rely on what he had been told.

    “Andre said he needed some time to clear his head.  He wasn’t handling a situation very well, that’s what he said.  How he chooses to clear his head, I can’t determine that,” Harper told the Mason and Guest radio program.

    “I don’t know what decision he has made.  Where he is playing or if he is playing.  I can only look and see what he had told me and then look at what happens subsequently,” he added.

    “He is free to make those decisions.  We will look to see what the situation is, how it develops, and take it from there,” Harper said.

    “What I will say is that it gives a younger player an opportunity and hopefully that player can make the most of it and really do us proud.”

  • 'We can’t keep rewarding mediocrity' – former WI batsman Wallace insists opener Campbell lucky to get recalled 'We can’t keep rewarding mediocrity' – former WI batsman Wallace insists opener Campbell lucky to get recalled

    Former Windies opener Philo Wallace insists opener John Campbell should consider himself lucky as he did not merit selection for the team’s upcoming tour of New Zealand, based on his most recent performance in England.

    Campbell, in truth, did indeed struggle to make a strong impression at the crease against England in July.  The left-handed batsman averaged a paltry 16.8 while tallying only 84 runs in six innings as the regional side lost the three-Test series 2-1.  Campbell was caught behind twice, while in the first innings of the final Test he was caught for 32 when attempting to negotiate a steep short delivery from Jofra Archer.  Wallace believes those struggles should have cost the batsman his spot.

    “John Campbell is a very lucky man, I wish him all the best but it’s 'very best' in common letters.  He struggled in England and then came back and said why he struggled, and we are taking him for another tour of New Zealand, which is said will be tougher,” Wallace said on the Mason and Guest radio program.

    Campbell was far from the only batsman that struggled in England, but Wallace believes that is a part of the broader issue and called for tougher decisions to be made when it comes to selection.

    “We pick the same batsmen that struggled in England and are sending them to New Zealand, saying New Zealand is going to be a bit tougher.  How are we going to get these guys to perform?  These guys have no confidence and the selection panel is going back with the same guys tried and tested,” he added.

    "There are some players that are biting at the bit to get a play and we are rewarding people with mediocre performances.  They had all the opportunities in England.  The board sent them up there a month before, they played wonderfully well in the first Test, they messed it up in the second and third and you are rewarding them for mediocrity with a tougher Test?”

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.