'Joshua opened up too much' - Andy Ruiz Jr

By June 03, 2019
Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Pacquiao wins WBA welterweight title with split-decision victory over Thurman Pacquiao wins WBA welterweight title with split-decision victory over Thurman

    Manny Pacquiao turned back the clock as the Filipino legend claimed the WBA welterweight championship after scoring a split-decision win against Keith Thurman.

    Pacquiao (62-7-2) produced an impressive performance against the previously unbeaten Thurman at MGM Grand, where two judges had the fight 115-112 in favour of the 40-year-old veteran.

    One judge scored the welterweight bout 114-113 to Thurman (29-1), who was knocked down by Pacquiao in the opening round on Saturday.

    Thurman – who was the WBA Super holder – had vowed to send Pacquiao into retirement but the latter showed he still has plenty left in the tank.

    Pacquiao retained his WBA Regular welterweight crown with a unanimous-decision victory over Adrien Broner in January and he stormed out of the blocks at the iconic American venue.

    After being sent to the canvas in the first round, Thurman recovered well as he soaked up Pacquiao's punches, but he was unable to snap his opponent's dominance.

    The aggressor as he trailed on points, American Thurman took the fight to Pacquiao in the middle rounds, however, he was hurt with a big body shot in the 10th and he was unable to preserve his unbeaten status.

    "It was fun," Pacquiao said afterwards. "He's a good fighter, a good boxer, he's strong. He did his best, I did my best, we made the people happy.

    "I really love the fans, thank you so much for coming here and witnessing the fight. I'm sure you're happy tonight, you saw a great fight. I am just blessed tonight.

    "I think my next fight is next year. After this fight I am going back to Philippines to do some work."

  • Whyte set for world title shot after outlasting Rivas Whyte set for world title shot after outlasting Rivas

    Dillian Whyte recovered from a ninth-round knockdown to become the mandatory challenger for the WBC heavyweight belt after defeating Oscar Rivas.

    Whyte (26-1) was floored in the ninth round, but the Englishman climbed off the canvas to eventually prevail by unanimous decision in London on Saturday.

    The judges scored the fight 115-112, 115-112, 116-111 at O2 Arena as Whyte – who dominated with his jab until being stunned by a right uppercut – handed Colombian boxer Rivas (26-1) his first professional loss.

    Whyte, without defeat since his only loss to Anthony Joshua in 2015, is now set to face the winner of title holder Deontay Wilder's rematch with Tyson Fury.

    Unbeaten American star Wilder must first beat Luis Ortiz on November 9.

    "We'll see what happens. I've been the number one contender for over 600 days, so let's see," said Whyte, who became the WBC interim champion.

    "To beat these kind of guys, I just keep showing up. I outboxed a world-class fighter, I dominated the fight."

    Promoter Eddie Hearn now wants to ensure Whyte gets his title shot before May 2020, adding: "People have tried to deny him and now he's the official mandatory challenger.

    "He's the WBC's interim champion and for the first time, their mandatory challenger. His shot will come, it's just a case of when.

    "We need to keep pressing the WBC and he must fight for the title before May 2020. In the meantime, he will fight again in November or December before that fight in May."

  • Joshua 'one million per cent' taking Ruiz rematch, insists Hearn Joshua 'one million per cent' taking Ruiz rematch, insists Hearn

    Anthony Joshua is "one million per cent" sure on taking up a rematch against Andy Ruiz Jr, according to promoter Eddie Hearn.

    Ruiz stunned the world of boxing when he handed Joshua the first defeat of his professional career at Madison Square Garden on June 1, dropping him four times to claim the IBF, WBA and WBO heavyweight belts.

    The bout was Joshua's United States debut, yet Hearn subsequently implied they would take a rematch back to the United Kingdom.

    However, Ruiz told TMZ he would not be willing to let Joshua's camp call the shots, insisting he would not want a rematch to take place on the Briton's home turf.

    Rumours then emerged on Friday suggesting the former champion was considering pulling out of discussions, but Hearn has rubbished those claims.

    "Joshua is one million per cent taking this rematch. Fact," Hearn told iFL TV on Saturday.

    "I spoke to Joshua last night. He is one million per cent taking this rematch. I haven't even been asked to look at other options.

    "He doesn't want to take an interim bout. Maybe we should, but he doesn't want to take a small fight, he wants the big fight and that's Joshua-Ruiz two."

    Cardiff's Principality Stadium has been mooted as a potential venue, but Hearn insisted nothing has yet been decided in terms of where a rematch would be held, though the dates have been narrowed down.

    "We've provided the dates to Team Ruiz, now we've got to provide the venue," Hearn added.

    "The dates are November 29 or December 14, those are the dates we're working on. Of the venues that have come on in the last week, one is very serious and we're very deep in conversation.

    "I think the front runner is still Cardiff, December 14. Madison Square Garden is in the running too."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.