GraceKennedy CEO condemns Calabar incident, calls for change

By March 25, 2019

On the eve of the 109th staging of the ISSA Boys and Girls Championships, title sponsor GraceKennedy has released a statement condemning the recent incident in which a teacher claimed he was assaulted by two of Calabar High School’s star athletes on December 15, 2018.

The teacher, Sanjaye Shaw, the head of the school's Physics Department, who only reported the incident to the police on Friday, hosted a press conference in Kingston later Friday afternoon, outlining the circumstances that led to the confrontation between himself and the two students over mattresses.

The two athletes were subsequently suspended but the teacher believes one of them should be barred from competing at the championships because that student was allowed to train on school grounds and compete for the school during the time he was suspended.

 In response, the school released a statement on Sunday in which it outlined its side of the situation. In that statement, the school’s principal said the students were allowed to train and compete during the suspension.

Don Wehby, GraceKennedy’s CEO, took a keen interest in the matter and having met with the Inter-secondary School Sports Association said he is disappointed in what has transpired so far.

“We met with ISSA President, Dr Walton Small, Vice President, Mr Keith Wellington and Chairman of the Organising Committee, Mrs Colleen Montague this morning (Monday). We had a thorough and frank discussion regarding the alleged incident, which, if true, presents a very serious concern for GraceKennedy as title sponsors of the event and, which GraceKennedy would condemn in the strongest possible terms,” Wehby said in the statement.

“This is the single largest sponsorship for GraceKennedy anywhere in the world, to the tune of over JMD$100 million, and as such the implications for us are huge.

“We have taken the matter so seriously that we have consulted with our attorneys, who have advised that GraceKennedy does not have the power to decide which athletes participate in Champs and cannot determine what action the school or ISSA takes with regard to the alleged incident.  Further, having met with ISSA this morning, we have now been made to understand that ISSA is also not in a position to make such a determination. The decision rests squarely with the Board of Calabar High School.”

Two athletes were suspended for five days each, according to the statement released by the school.

However, Wehby said that there are lessons to learn from the situation.

“This entire situation represents an opportunity for change and is a teachable moment for all stakeholders including all School Boards and the Ministry of Education. Our understanding is that there is currently a Code of Regulations under the Education Act, which governs the conduct of students in schools, and which is currently under review,” the CEO said.

“This alleged incident provides an opportunity for the acceleration of this review, so that, in the future, anyone in breach will be held firmly to account.”  

“He concluded that they are committed to working with ISSA, with whom we have enjoyed a mutually beneficial relationship over the years, for the continued success of this world-class event.

Calabar High School is going for an eighth consecutive title at the championships.

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • CWI appoints Chris Brabazon as coach-education manager CWI appoints Chris Brabazon as coach-education manager

    A Level 2 coaching course which begins on Thursday in Kingston, Jamaica signals the start of the tenure of Chris Brabazon as Coach Education Manager, a new role created as part of CWI’s strategy to strengthen and invest in the development of coaching talent within the region. Chris has immediately travelled to Jamaica to observe the delivery of the Level 2 course.

    Director of Cricket, Jimmy Adams, welcomed Brabazon to CWI and highlighted the selection of Brabazon to the position.

    “I am delighted to welcome Chris to the Caribbean where he will be taking up the role of CWI’s first full-time Coach Education Manager.  His appointment is a critical feature of our strategic plan to produce world-class players and winning teams through the development of West Indian coaches,” Adams said.

    “Chris brings a wealth of experience having held a similar role of Coach Development Manager in Western Australia for the past six years.

    “He has worked at every level of the Cricket Australia coaching development pathway, from grassroots to international level, and is well-placed to drive CWI’s objective of developing our coach education programs.  I have no doubt that Chris will play a significant role in advancing our regional game and am very excited to be working with him on improving coaching standards throughout the Caribbean.”

    Speaking on his appointment, Brabazon was delighted to join the legacy of West Indies Cricket.

    “I am incredibly excited to join the team at CWI. In particular, I am looking forward to meeting and working with the coaches and coach developers throughout the Caribbean to ensure that all local players have access to inspirational learning environments that fosters their love of cricket.”

    Brabazon holds a Post Graduate Certificate in Business Administration, with over twelve (12) years’ experience specifically in cricket. He has functioned in coaching and talent development, as well as cricket management and accounting in his native Australia.

  • Minister of Sport says YASCO redevelopment almost complete Minister of Sport says YASCO redevelopment almost complete

    Antigua & Barbuda Minister of Sports, Daryll Matthew, believes the YASCO Sports Complex, a facility that functioned in a state of disrepair and the only track and field facility on the island, will have it’s refurbishments complete in short order.

    According to Matthew, the workers are preparing to carry out the final phase of work before the laying the new surface of the track.

    “They have done all of the preparatory work in terms of the sub-base and everything, so the final layer is to start going on, and I am told it’s supposed to be about five or six day’s work, and it cures for, I think, two weeks and then the rubber goes down,” he said.

    The YASCO facility has been the subject of embarrassment for the country on a number of occasions with promises for its upgrade going unfulfilled on a number of occasions.

    Add the high-profile athletes Cejhae Greene and Miguel Francis, to a growing list who refuse to use the facilities and the news takes on even greater value for the island.

    “We’re expecting someone here this week [from track builders Mondo] and so between myself and the president of the NOC [EP Chet Greene], I’ve sent off some correspondents to PASO and Mondo because we have to proceed. We don’t want to continue to delay the laying of that final layer of asphalt because there is a lifespan on things like the adhesive which we’ve had for a while,” he said. 

    The news contrasts a previous announcement from president of the Antigua and Barbuda Athletics Association, Everton Conelius, who said persistent rains were causing delays that could amount to another five months of delays.

  • Hernan Borja ready to defend Alacran Jamaica Open title Hernan Borja ready to defend Alacran Jamaica Open title

    Defending Jamaica Open champion Hernan Borja said he is ready to defend his title as the Jamaica Open tees off on Thursday at the Tryall Golf Course in Hanover.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.