Overmars extends Ajax contract amid Arsenal links

By Sports Desk March 18, 2019

Marc Overmars has ended speculation linking him with a return to Arsenal by extending his contract at Ajax through to June 2024.

The Gunners are searching for a technical director and reportedly turned attention to their former winger after missing out on Monchi, who opted to reunite with Sevilla following a spell at Roma.

Overmars appeared to be a strong alternative, having overseen the emergence of Matthijs de Ligt, Frenkie de Jong and more since being appointed director of football at Ajax in 2012.

The 45-year-old spent three seasons with the Gunners during his playing career and represented Netherlands at two World Cups.

"There are still plenty of challenges at Ajax and I'm having a good time here," said Overmars.

"We are taking steps with both the youth academy and the first team. From a sporting point of view, we still want to show a lot.

"What is also important to me is that it is nice to work with the people around me. I get pleasure and satisfaction from that."

Arsenal parted ways with head of recruitment Sven Mislintat in February.

Related items

  • Lampard wants Kante to skip France's Euro 2020 qualifiers Lampard wants Kante to skip France's Euro 2020 qualifiers

    Frank Lampard wants France to leave N'Golo Kante out of the squad for next month's Euro 2020 qualifiers so the Chelsea midfielder can recover from injury.

    Kante played through a knee problem in the Europa League final against Arsenal and consequently spent much of pre-season recovering.

    The 28-year-old was only fit enough to appear as a 73rd-minute substitute in the 4-0 defeat to Manchester United on the opening day of the new season, in which he hurt his ankle.

    He was able to play in the UEFA Super Cup against Liverpool and the 1-1 draw at home to Leicester City but missed Saturday's 3-2 victory at Norwich City.

    Lampard now hopes France coach Didier Deschamps decides to let Kante rest and recuperate by leaving him out of the squad for matches against Albania and Andorra.

    "It is a difficult one. He has had four years of constantly playing," Lampard said. "[The] injury from the Europa League final has affected his pre-season. Then he hurt himself against Man United.

    "We are trying to get him through it. [Saturday] was too painful. The international break will be great for him to get the injury right. It would be great for everybody [if Kante stays] because he's been playing game after game after game."

    One Chelsea player who Lampard would like to see rewarded with an international call-up is Mason Mount.

    Mount has been tipped to win an England spot for his displays this month, the 20-year-old scoring for the second time in two games at Carrow Road.

    "I've said it a lot last year. Being called up for his country, that's hopefully going to come pretty soon again," Lampard said of Mount. "He can go absolutely to the top. He's impressed me. He had another step on in pre-season.

    "At Derby, he was great. But that's one thing. Coming to Chelsea, with the competition he's got in midfield and the expectation level that comes with it, is another thing.

    "I keep going on about his character. For me, it's such a big percentage of the package and he has all of that and he has the quality. Intelligent players who have that talent are really great to work with.

    "I don't want to heap expectation on him. But I will tell him that every day because I feel it, and when someone's humble and hard-working like him, it doesn't matter. You can tell them because it will never stop his drive or his hunger.

    "He's not a boy that wants the razzmatazz of it all, he just wants to be a top player for Chelsea and then England and I believe he can be. It's the way his family have brought him up. He is a pleasure to work with."

  • Tottenham are 'unsettled', admits Pochettino Tottenham are 'unsettled', admits Pochettino

    Mauricio Pochettino has admitted his Tottenham squad are "unsettled" as the future of some key players remains unclear - but all they can do is wait and see what happens in the coming days.

    Spurs have collected just four points from their opening three Premier League games, suffering a shock 1-0 loss at home to Newcastle United on Sunday.

    Star midfielder Christian Eriksen's future at the club remains uncertain with the transfer window elsewhere in Europe open until September 2, while Jan Vertonghen and Toby Alderweireld are out of contract at the end of the season.

    Pochettino said he was dealing with an unsettled squad at Tottenham, who face a huge trip to Arsenal on Sunday for the north London derby.

    "The group is still unsettled and we need to find solutions," he told a news conference.

    "We have one week more to wait and see what happens in the last 10 days. Of course I think that this is my sixth season and we have started the season as a more unsettled group that we are working with and that is why we must relax.

    "We cannot fix some situations. There is nothing to say about that situation that is going on in the squad. Still we need to wait.

    "That is a circumstance after playing in the Champions League on June 1, we knew that this was going to happen, some situations like this.

    "But for the club and for us it is difficult to handle. We can only wait is all we can do."

  • Rumour Has It: Barcelona to offer Dembele to PSG in latest Neymar bid Rumour Has It: Barcelona to offer Dembele to PSG in latest Neymar bid

    Barcelona are preparing their latest bid for Neymar – and this one includes Ousmane Dembele.

    With the transfer window closing on September 2, the Neymar saga is seemingly no closer to ending amid reports the star forward wants to leave Paris Saint-Germain.

    Barca are still trying to find a way to get the Brazil international back to Camp Nou and their latest offer is set to see Dembele move the other way.

     

    TOP STORY – BARCELONA TO OFFER DEMBELE TO PSG IN NEYMAR BID

    Barcelona will offer Dembele to PSG as they try to sign Neymar, according to Le Parisien.

    The LaLiga champions are still trying to work out a way to buy Neymar and are set to offer €170million after an initial loan deal with either an option or obligation to buy, the report says.

    Barca are also prepared to offer €40m and Dembele as they try to land Neymar.

    Meanwhile, Le Monde reports PSG's owners are unwilling to sell Neymar two years after his €222m move from Barcelona.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - It remains to be seen if Ivan Rakitic will stay at Barcelona. The Croatia midfielder's name was put on the table during a recent meeting between Barca and Juventus, according to Sport.

    - After starting for Real Madrid against Real Valladolid, James Rodriguez wants to stay at the Santiago Bernabeu, according to AS. The playmaker has been linked to Napoli and Atletico Madrid during the transfer window.

    - Staying at Real Madrid, Cadena SER report the LaLiga giants will not make it easy for Keylor Navas to leave the club. The goalkeeper has been linked with a move away, but Madrid will only sell the Costa Rica international for the right price and provided they can find a replacement.

    - Robert Lewandowski appears set to extend his stay at Bayern Munich. The striker will sign a new deal that runs until 2023 with the Bundesliga champions, according to Sport Bild.

    - Tottenham are growing confident Toby Alderweireld will sign a contract extension, according to The Sun. The defender's current deal is up at the end of the season but he could be set to stay at Spurs.

    - Gianluigi Donnarumma continues to be linked to PSG. The AC Milan goalkeeper is still a target for the Ligue 1 giants, le10sport report.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.