Is Cardiff being unfair in trying to get out of paying for Emiliano Sala?

By Sports Desk February 18, 2019

Cardiff City have been making statements suggesting they will be trying to get out of their agreement to play Ligue 1 outfit Nantes, 15 million for Emiliano Sala, who died tragically in a plane accident on his way to his new club.
Do Cardiff have a point, or are they displaying bad form?

Related items

  • I can still be a successful coach - Henry targets return to management I can still be a successful coach - Henry targets return to management

    Thierry Henry is confident he can become a managerial success, despite being sacked three months into his first job as head coach of Monaco.

    The 42-year-old was suspended and then dismissed by the Ligue 1 side in January after a run of four wins in 20 matches.

    He had previously worked as assistant to Roberto Martinez with the Belgium national team before making the transition into management.

    Seven months on from leaving Stade Louis II, former Arsenal striker Henry has targeted a return to the sport and revealed he has already received a number of offers.

    "Call me crazy if you want, but I love football and I still believe I can be a successful coach," he told The Telegraph. 

    "I'm not thinking about the pain, I'm not thinking about failure. I don't like easy. I like to lead and it's on me to make it happen. The same when I joined Arsenal as a player, the same when I went to Belgium with Roberto. It's an evolution. 

    "My phone didn't ring for four months after I left Monaco and then all of a sudden I got five calls. Some were not what I was looking for and some were as a number two - very interesting offers, but I can't leave my staff behind. 

    "I've got guys who stopped working for me and what do I say to them? 'Hey guys, you stopped working for me but now I've got a job'. I won't do a number two job because I want to be a number one."

    Henry does not regret taking on the Monaco job and is grateful to have been given a chance at the club where he started his player career, but admitted he will think carefully before accepting his next position.

    "There is something I always say," he said. "You win or you learn and, as you can imagine, I learned a lot. 

    "I still have Monaco in my heart, it's the club that gave me my first opportunity as a player and gave me my first opportunity as a coach, so I will always be thankful to the people who gave me that, people who are there, some are gone.

    "My heart talked at the time. I wanted to go back to where I started everything. I have zero regrets about what happened. It was a very difficult task and I felt that if I'd had more time I could have done more.

    "If I knew I only had three months, then maybe I would have acted a different way, but I was trying to plan something for the future and doing that in such a little amount of time is very difficult."

    Henry failed to inspire a turnaround during his short time at Monaco, leaving the club a point and a place above the bottom of the Ligue 1 table.

    Leonardo Jardim, the man Henry replaced, was appointed as the Frenchman's successor and kept them in the top flight.

    "I'm proud of what we did achieve with such a young team," Henry said. "We had to win in Caen and Amiens, and those six points were very important. I had no doubt that team was going to stay up because there was enough quality.

    "I am not complaining and I can only say thank you to everybody, but to build a legacy and build something for the future, it takes time."

  • Sturridge agrees three-year deal with Trabzonspor following Liverpool exit Sturridge agrees three-year deal with Trabzonspor following Liverpool exit

    Daniel Sturridge has agreed a three-year contract with Trabzonspor, the Turkish Super Lig side have confirmed.

    The striker, who left Liverpool at the end of last season, is set to join his new club until 2022, with the option of an extra year.

    Sturridge was released by the European champions when his contract expired in June after six years at Anfield, in which he scored 67 goals in 160 appearances.

    In July, the 29-year-old was fined £75,000 and banned for six weeks - four of which were suspended - for breaching betting rules in English football.

    Sturridge, who was free to play again from July 31, said it was "extremely disappointing" to hear the Football Association would be appealing against what the governing body considered to be an insufficient punishment.

    "I will continue to defend the case and the appeal," he said.

    Trabzonspor finished fourth in the Super Lig last season, six points behind champions Galatasaray.

    They face AEK in a Europa League play-off first leg on Thursday.

  • PSV forward Malen included in Netherlands squad for September qualifiers PSV forward Malen included in Netherlands squad for September qualifiers

    Ronald Koeman has named uncapped PSV forward Donyell Malen in Netherlands' provisional squad for their upcoming Euro 2020 qualifiers against Germany and Estonia.

    The 20-year-old has started seven of PSV's eight matches this season and is in contention to make his senior international bow next month.

    An initial 29-man group has been named for the games against Germany in Hamburg on September 6 and Estonia in Tallinn three days later.

    Ajax centre-back Joel Veltman has been recalled by Koeman but there is still no room for Lyon right-back Kenny Tete, who has been used as a sub in Lyon's first two Ligue 1 matches.

    Beaten UEFA Nations League finalists Netherlands also have Liverpool pair Virgil van Dijk and Georginio Wijnaldum in their squad, while Barcelona's Frenkie de Jong and Juventus defender Matthijs de Ligt are in line to feature in both matches.

    Netherlands squad in full:

    Marco Bizot (AZ), Jasper Cillessen (Valencia), Kenneth Vermeer (Feyenoord), Jeroen Zoet (PSV); Patrick van Aanholt (Crystal Palace), Nathan Ake (Bournemouth), Daley Blind (Ajax), Virgil van Dijk (Liverpool), Denzel Dumfries (PSV), Hans Hateboer (Atalanta), Terence Kongolo (Huddersfield), Matthijs de Ligt (Juventus), Joel Veltman (Ajax), Stefan de Vrij (Inter); Donny van de Beek (Ajax), Frenkie de Jong (Barcelona), Davy Propper (Brighton and Hove Albion), Marten de Roon (Atalanta), Kevin Strootman (Marseille), Tonny Vilhena (Krasnodar), Georginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool); Ryan Babel (Galatasaray), Steven Berghuis (Feyenoord), Steven Bergwijn (PSV); Luuk de Jong (Sevilla), Donyell Malen (PSV), Memphis Depay (Lyon), Quincy Promes (Ajax), Wout Weghorst (Wolfsburg).

     

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.