Sala died due to head and trunk injuries, coroner confirms

By Sports Desk February 11, 2019

Emiliano Sala's death was caused by injuries to his head and trunk, it has been confirmed.

Argentine striker Sala was on board a Piper Malibu aircraft that disappeared over the English Channel last month on its way from Nantes to Cardiff, after the 28-year-old had become the Premier League club's record signing.

Last week, a body was recovered from the wreckage of the plane and subsequently identified as that of Sala. Pilot David Ibbotson, the only other person on board, is yet to be found.

During Monday's hearing of the post-mortem examination, Dorset Coroner's Court concluded Sala's passing was caused by injuries to his head and trunk.

There will now be an interim investigation which is expected to be concluded within the next six to 12 months.

 

Related items

  • Former Jamaica international Campbell-Ryce takes coaching job with Colchester U-23s Former Jamaica international Campbell-Ryce takes coaching job with Colchester U-23s

    Retired Jamaica international Jamal Campbell-Ryce has embarked on a career in coaching with the Colchester United under-23 team.

    The 36-year-old winger, who made some 18 appearances for the Jamaica national team, is expected to work with the club’s youth players who he will mentor on a one and one basis.

    Jon de Souza the club’s director of performance has tipped the Jamaican to have a positive impact on future generations.

    "Jamal will be joining us as an U23s player/coach, working in training with the U18s and U23s, to play in the U23s fixtures and to mentor players on a one to one basis,” he told the club’s official website.

    "He was a flair-based forward in his career, and we believe that they are often the type of players who need help within our squad to develop the right application and desire to continue to progress,” he added.

    "Through his career, Jamal has learned a lot and knows that, in that position and at that young age, you have to learn to do a lot more off the ball and to apply yourself fully on and off the pitch to end up having a long life in the game.”

  • Renato Sanches outburst leaves Bayern director Salihamidzic baffled Renato Sanches outburst leaves Bayern director Salihamidzic baffled

    Renato Sanches' public criticism of Bayern Munich for apparently not letting him leave the club has been met with bafflement by sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic.

    The 22-year-old joined Bayern to much fanfare in 2016 after impressing with Benfica and Portugal, establishing himself as one of the world's most promising teenagers.

    But things have not gone to plan for Sanches in the Bundesliga, struggling before and since an unsuccessful loan spell at Swansea City in 2017-18.

    Niko Kovac's appointment at Bayern last year appeared to provide Sanches with hope of kickstarting his career in Germany, but again his impact was underwhelming.

    After a five-minute cameo in Friday's 2-2 draw with Hertha Berlin, Sanches complained about his playing time and questioned why the club had twice refused to let him leave, much to Salihamidzic's confusion.

    "Renato has played three times since the start the season," Salihamidzic told reporters during the presentation of new signing Mickael Cuisance, midfield challenger to Sanches' place in the squad.

    "Against Borussia Dortmund he was subbed on, in the DFB-Pokal he started and this weekend, although it was only for five minutes, he was also subbed on.

    "Therefore, I didn't really understand why he had to make these remarks. We will see [if he stays], I already explained on Monday that we'll keep all our options open until September 2 [when the transfer window closes].

    "Other than that, I don't want to say much more about it."

    Cuisance, 20, will be hoping to not fall short of expectations at Bayern like Sanches, with Salihamidzic revealing the club to be long-time admirers of the France youth international talent, who joins from Borussia Monchengladbach for a reported €12million.

    "We always tried to get him to Bayern," Salihamidzic said of Cuisance. "He is a player who can play all positions in midfield.

    "He is a very creative player with a very good left foot. He is very creative and feels comfortable in a small spaces. Even under pressure, he has no problems and has great technique.

    "He has a very good idea of the game, which has been seen in the French youth teams. He also showed this in his first year in Monchengladbach, so he is very interesting for our team.

    "We expect him to develop further here and I'm sure we'll have a lot of fun with him."

  • Rodri: Adapting to overwhelming Man City not easy Rodri: Adapting to overwhelming Man City not easy

    Adapting to life as the holding midfielder in an ultra-attacking Manchester City side is no easy task, according to the club's record signing Rodri.

    A £62.8million (€70m) close-season recruit from Atletico Madrid, Rodri has stepped in for Fernandinho over the opening weeks of the season, the Brazil international having returned late to club duty following his Copa America commitments.

    Rodri turned in assured performances at the base of the midfield in the Community Shield triumph over Liverpool and 5-0 opening-day win against West Ham in the Premier League.

    Ilkay Gundogan provided support in central areas as playmakers Kevin De Bruyne and Bernardo Silva set about Tottenham in Saturday's 2-2 draw, where City were forced to settle for a share of the spoils despite having 30 attempts at goal.

    "I feel better every day," Rodri told his club's official website.

    "It's good for me to play minutes [because] it is not easy to get into a team with the dynamic City have ­– overwhelming, always wanting to attack.

    "I'm trying to settle well, I know I still have a lot to learn, but I'm happy because Pep Guardiola is showing me a lot of confidence.

    "I want to help the team with my style, but at this current point I need to identify what the team demands."

    Gabriel Jesus had what he thought was an injury-time winner ruled out at the weekend when a VAR review penalised Aymeric Laporte for handball in the build-up to the goal.

    Rodri was involved in an earlier controversy when the video official decided not to advise referee Michael Oliver to award a penalty after Spurs winger Erik Lamela appeared to pull the Spain international to the ground.

    "It is a little bit difficult to get used to it," the 23-year-old said of VAR. "Sometimes you don't know why some actions are checked and others aren't, but I think that the officials try to do their job the best they can.

    "We can only analyse what we control, we can't control the things that are not in our hands."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.