Body recovered from Sala plane wreckage

By Sports Desk February 06, 2019

A body has been successfully recovered from the wreckage of the plane that went down in the English Channel with Cardiff City striker Emiliano Sala on board. 

The UK's Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) confirmed late on Wednesday that the victim, who has not been publicly identified, will now be passed to the Dorset Coroner, having been recovered with the help of specialist contractors. 

The Piper Malibu aircraft disappeared with Sala and pilot David Ibbotson on board on January 21. 

A private search was launched, backed by donations from the public, after authorities halted their initial efforts to find the plane and the wreckage was found under water on Sunday, 24 nautical miles north west of Guernsey. 

The AAIB said one of the occupants was visible amid the remains of the plane and have now confirmed that a recovery has been successful. 

However, it said attempts to retrieve the aircraft have been stopped due to bad weather.

"Following extensive visual examination of the accident site using the remotely operated vehicle (ROV), it was decided to attempt recovery operations," the AAIB said in a statement.

"In challenging conditions, the AAIB and its specialist contractors successfully recovered the body previously seen amidst the wreckage. The operation was carried out in as dignified a way as possible and the families were kept informed of progress.

"Unfortunately, attempts to recover the aircraft wreckage were unsuccessful before poor weather conditions forced us to return the ROV to the ship.  The weather forecast is poor for the foreseeable future and so the difficult decision was taken to bring the overall operation to a close.  The body is currently being taken to Portland to be passed into the care of the Dorset Coroner. 

"Although it was not possible to recover the aircraft, the extensive video record captured by the ROV is expected to provide valuable evidence for our safety investigation.

"We expect our next update to be an interim report, which we intend to publish within one month of the accident occurring."

Sala had been travelling to Cardiff after saying goodbye to his former team-mates at Nantes, having sealed a transfer to the Premier League in a club-record deal for the Bluebirds.

Nantes have reportedly demanded the first €6million instalment of the transfer fee, with Cardiff chairman Mehmet Dalman insisting they would send the payment "when we think it's the right time to do it".

"The first reason is that the body has not been recovered yet," he told L'Equipe about the lack of payment so far. "We must show respect to the family. There is a process for recovering the plane."

Related items

  • Haller completes record West Ham move Haller completes record West Ham move

    West Ham have completed the club-record signing of Sebastien Haller from Eintracht Frankfurt for a reported fee of £45million.

    The Premier League side agreed a deal on Tuesday with Frankfurt, who granted Haller permission to travel to London for a medical.

    The 25-year-old has now signed a five-year deal with the Hammers, with the option of a further 12 months.

    The striker becomes the most expensive signing in the club's history, eclipsing the reported £36m paid to Lazio for Felipe Anderson last year.

    "I feel really great," Haller told West Ham's website. "I think it's a really good opportunity for me to be here.

    "It means a lot [to be the record signing]. It proves that the club [has] really wanted me for a long time. I felt this desire to sign me and I'm really happy to sign, also. It is an ambitious club, a nice club, a nice city and nice fans too."

    Haller scored 20 goals in all competitions in 2018-19, including five in Eintracht's run to the semi-finals of the Europa League.

    He will be tasked with spearheading the West Ham attacking following Marko Arnautovic's move to Chinese Super League side Shanghai SIPG.

    Manuel Pellegrini's side had been tipped to sign Maxi Gomez before turning their attentions to Haller after the Celta Vigo forward moved to Valencia.

    "I will always give 100 per cent and respect the club," Haller added.

    "I think this is a normal thing and that I can guarantee. I know it's a big transfer and there is a lot of expectation around me, and I just want to make people proud of this transfer and I will give everything I have."

  • BREAKING NEWS: Haller completes record West Ham move BREAKING NEWS: Haller completes record West Ham move
    West Ham have completed the club-record signing of Sebastien Haller from Eintracht Frankfurt for a reported fee of £45million.
  • Rose set to leave Tottenham after being left out of tour squad Rose set to leave Tottenham after being left out of tour squad

    Danny Rose, Vincent Janssen and Georges-Kevin Nkoudou look set to leave Tottenham after being allowed to skip the pre-season tour of Asia to pursue transfers.

    Spurs confirmed their 26-man travelling squad for their International Champions Cup fixtures in Singapore and Shanghai on Wednesday.

    Rose, Janssen and Nkoudou have been granted extra time off granted "in order to explore prospective opportunities with other clubs".

    Left-back Rose has battled Ben Davies for a place in Mauricio Pochettino's first team in recent seasons, although he still made 37 appearances last term and started the Champions League final defeat to Liverpool.

    Spurs will reportedly seek a fee in the region of £25million for the 29-year-old.

    Janssen had been frozen out of Pochettino's plans but he did make three Premier League appearances in 2018-19 against Brighton and Hove Albion, West Ham and Everton.

    Nkoudou, meanwhile, spent the second half of last term on loan at Monaco after failing to break into the Spurs side.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.