West Indies will be without all-rounder Keemo Paul for the first Test against India, with Miguel Cummins called up as his replacement.

Paul has been ruled out with an injury to his left ankle and the 21-year-old will remain in Antigua to continue his rehabilitation.

Experienced Cummins, who made his Test debut in a series against India three years ago, taking a career-best 6-48 in the second innings of the second match, features in the 13-man squad in Paul's absence.

"With Keemo ruled out for this match, it’s good to have someone with Miguel's quality back in the squad, as he brings experience to the team," Windies interim head coach Floyd Reifer said.

"Watching him in the last A Team series against India A and the training sessions his lengths have improved. He's a very hard worker and a wicket-taker. I'm sure, if given the opportunity to play, he will make a valuable contribution in our bid to win this series."

The Windies have not won a Test series against India since 2002 and are winless in the past 21 Tests between the teams.

India head into the two-match series, which begins on Thursday, having won three Twenty20s and two ODIs throughout their tour so far.

Fast bowler Miguel Cummins will replace an injured Keemo Paul in the West Indies squad selected for the first Test against India in Antigua from August 22-26.

Jamaica’s Chris Binnie surged to his record-breaking ninth singles title at the Caribbean Area Squash Association’s (CASA) Senior Championship currently in Guyana.

fThe police have launched an investigation to determine who was the real driver of a black Mercedes motorcar said to belong to Windies cricketer Andre Russell that was spinning donuts at a busy intersection in Kingston late last week.

Assistant Commissioner  Bishop Dr Gary Welsh, head of the Public Safety and Traffic Enforcement Branch of the Jamaica Constabulary is ordering the investigation after a video emerged that suggests that West Indies cricketer Andre Russell was inside the Mercedes Benz motorcar and that his personal assistant might not have been the man behind the wheel.

Dennis Deitrich, a man claimed on Tuesday to be the driver of the vehicle that spun donuts at the intersection of Dunrobin Avenue and Dukharan Avenue in Kingston late last week.

Deitrich turned up at the location along with the police on Tuesday and publicly apologized. He claimed he was the driver but that he did not know it would become such a big issue. He said such an incident would never happen again.

The blowback on social media has been significant with most slamming the police for not doing their job and charging the driver, who risked harm to other drivers while spinning the powerful motorcar at the usually busy intersection.

Some posters on social media even called for the firing of Assistant Commissioner of Police.

“They made a fool out of @JamaicaConstab. In its stampede for publicity and likes on social media, it undermined respect for itself and public confidence. The inspector must be fired. He has abused his position and allowed this fellow to flout the law and be rewarded for it,” branding expert @DrHumeJohnson tweeted.

The new video that emerged overnight could prove to be an even bigger public relations disaster for the police, as it suggests that a man resembling Russell was a passenger in the car and that Deitrich might not have been the driver.

The video begins as the car emerges from the final donut turns, smoke billowing from the tyres as the car straightens out and races towards the videographer.

As it gets closer, the car slows to reveal two men inside, one of whom appears to be Russell in the passenger seat. It was not clear who was behind the wheel.

It is not clear if the video is from the same incident but if validated, it would prove to be more egg on the face of the police who staged the ill-advised publicity stunt on Tuesday afternoon.

Under Jamaica’s penal code, a conviction for reckless and careless driving could see an offender face a fine of about US$2000 and possible incarceration.

Jamaica international Darren Mattocks believes the second installment of the #hellisreal derby between Cincinnati and Columbus Crew comes at a good time for the team looking to bounce back from disappointment in the previous round.

This past weekend, Cincinnati found themselves on the wrong side of a 4-1 loss to New York City.  The last meeting between the teams ended in a 2-2 draw at Columbus Crew and the Jamaican believes the potentially explosive clash between the rivals could be just what the team needs.

 “It’s great timing, especially after this loss to NYCFC,” Mattocks said. “It’s a pretty good match to bounce back on.”

Sunday’s reverse fixture of the #HellisReal Derby marks the first time the Crew visit Nippert Stadium since 2017. On that occasion, Cincinnati beat the visitors, 1-0, in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.  At the time, FCC were a USL side, while Columbus was the lone Ohio team in MLS.

“A game like this means so much to the fans and to the club,” Mattocks said. “It’s a big rivalry, so we have to go out there, put our best foot forward and give everything we’ve got. Our last game wasn’t good enough, but this is a perfect game to bounce back.”

Retired Jamaica international Jamal Campbell-Ryce has embarked on a career in coaching with the Colchester United under-23 team.

The 36-year-old winger, who made some 18 appearances for the Jamaica national team, is expected to work with the club’s youth players who he will mentor on a one and one basis.

Jon de Souza the club’s director of performance has tipped the Jamaican to have a positive impact on future generations.

"Jamal will be joining us as an U23s player/coach, working in training with the U18s and U23s, to play in the U23s fixtures and to mentor players on a one to one basis,” he told the club’s official website.

"He was a flair-based forward in his career, and we believe that they are often the type of players who need help within our squad to develop the right application and desire to continue to progress,” he added.

"Through his career, Jamal has learned a lot and knows that, in that position and at that young age, you have to learn to do a lot more off the ball and to apply yourself fully on and off the pitch to end up having a long life in the game.”

West Indies captain Jason Holder was named Player of the Year and Test Player of the Year at the West Indies Players' Association/Cricket West Indies annual awards in Antigua on Monday night.

Top-order, right-hand batsman Kennar Lewis will temporarily replace USA player Xavier Marshall in the Jamaica Tallawahs squad when the 2019 Caribbean Premier League bowls off next month.

West Indies skipper, Jason Holder, is still the number-one Test all-rounder in the world even as his side is set to take on the might of India on Thursday.

Holder became the leading all-rounder in the five-day game last January after scoring an incredible double hundred against England before going on to take two wickets in a game the West Indies would win by 381 runs.

Among West Indies pacers, Holder is the highest ranked at eight, with Kemar Roach second at 11th.

Shannon Gabriel is ranked a place below Roach at number 12.

The Test-bowling rankings are led by Australia’a Pat Cummins, while South Africa’s Kagiso Rabada is second, followed by injured England paceman, Jimmy Anderson.

The West Indies are not as well off in the batting rankings, with opener Kraigg Brathwaite leading the way at 36th. Holder’s contribution with the bat comes next with the all rounder standing at 37th.

Roston Chase at 41, Shane Dowrich at 46, and Shimron Hetmyer at 48 are next.

Those ranking are led by India skipper Virat Kohli, while Australian Steve Smith comes next at second after his Lord’s heroics. New Zealand’s Kane Williamson is third.

The Reggae Boyz will kickstart their Nations League group stage effort on Friday against Antigua and Barbuda at the Montego Bay Sports Complex on the island’s north coast.

The game will be played on September 6, leaving the Reggae Boyz, who last played in the Gold Cup, ending their campaign in the semi-finals, with little turn-around time before their game against Guyana on September 9.

The team will leave the island September 7 for that fixture.

Coach of the Reggae Boyz, Theodore Whitmore, is under no illusions about how important these games are, expressing those sentiments to key executives of the Jamaica Football Federation just recently.

“It is important that that then edn of the group phase the country finishes in the top six in CONCACAF in order to be in the best position entering the World Cup qualifiers in September 2020,” he said.

Whitmore was appealing to the executive members for support in the next few months, saying even after that, all international fixtures took on significance.

"Even after finishing in the top six in November 2019, it will be important to maintain that position through other FIFA international match dates down to June 2020, so I am urging total focus and support through the next couple of months in the first instance," he said.

Rule changes in the region, mean that only the top six teams will be allowed to play in qualifiers for a direct place in the World Cup.

The teams finishing outside of that top six will play for FIFA’s half-spot, meaning they will play against each other for the right to play against the team that finishes fourth from the top-six.

That game will be played in a home-and-away format and will determine another fixture of the same nature against a team from another region. Those two will then play for a World Cup berth.

The hexagonal will feature 10 games for each team, beginning in September.

There will also be games in October and November this year, before a restart in March of 2021. The games conclude in September of 2021, just over a year before the World Cup.

After only two weeks with Rana Reider’s Tumbleweed Track Club, 2017 World Champion, Omar McLeod is confident he is back on track to defend his world title at the 2019 World Championships in Doha, Qatar.

Head coach of Jamaica’s U23 team Donovan Duckie has tendered his resignation at the request of the Jamaica Football Federation President Michael Ricketts.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is not taking seriously, an email which purported there was an imminent threat to the Indian cricket team currently in the West Indies on tour.

The Indian cricket team has already gone through three T20 internationals and three One Day Internationals in the Caribbean, with the first match of a Test series set for Antigua on August 22.

The BCCI have contacted authorities in Antigua regarding the threat and will be beefing up security, though the threat is being viewed as a hoax.

“We have briefed the home ministry and shared the email. The embassy in Antigua has also been contacted and briefed. The Mumbai police has also been informed and the security of the Indian team in the West Indies has been beefed up," BCCI CEO Rahul Johri had told Indian media.

Atlanta United capped a fine week by beating Portland Timbers 2-0 to move top of the MLS Eastern Conference.

Frank de Boer's Atlanta overcame Mexican giants America 3-2 to win the Campeones Cup final on Wednesday.

Reigning MLS champions Atlanta backed that up with victory away to Portland courtesy of Leandro Gonzalez Pirez and Josef Martinez on Sunday.

Atlanta's Gonzalez Pirez slammed home the opener in the 14th minute at Providence Park in Portland.

After a flurry of chances, Martinez scored in his MLS-record 11th straight game – doubling the lead a minute into the second half with a curling effort – as Atlanta won their fifth MLS game in six matches.

Atlanta – who are in the US Open Cup final – are now top of the east, ahead of Philadelphia Union on the total wins tie-breaker, while Portland remain seventh in the Western Conference.

Page 1 of 167
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.