West Ham forward Antonio pulls out of Jamaica squad for upcoming round of qualifiers

By Sports Desk October 05, 2021

West Ham forward Michail Antonio has pulled out of Jamaica’s upcoming round of qualifiers after citing logistical and travel difficulties with the upcoming set of fixtures.

The in-form forward, who made his national debut against Panama in the previous round, was expected to be part of the team for three upcoming matches against the United States, Canada, and Honduras.

With the USA game expected to kick off on Thursday, however, the player has communicated via a brief release that he will not be joining up with the squad as planned.

“I can confirm that, unfortunately, I will not be joining up with the Jamaica national squad for the World Cup qualifying matches this week. Myself, West Ham United, and Jamaica have all agreed that, given the logistical and travel difficulties involved at present, it is better for me to remain with the Club in London at this time. I remain fully committed to Jamaica and look forward to representing my country in the future.”

The news will come as a blow to a Jamaica forward line-up that will be somewhat shorthanded. The team will also be without Aston Villa’s Leon Bailey who remains unavailable due to injury and Philadelphia Union’s Corey Burke who suffered an ankle injury in training. Defender Liam Moore, Ethan Pinnock and midfielder Daniel Johnson have also withdrawn from the squad.

 

Related items

  • Pollard joins Narine at Somerset for T20 Vitality Blast Pollard joins Narine at Somerset for T20 Vitality Blast

    West Indies all-rounder Kieron Pollard has signed for England T20 Vitality Blast club Surrey ahead of the season.

    The 35-year-old big-hitter is expected to make a rare appearance in the competition having previously represented Somerset in 2011.  Having recently competed in the India Premier League (IPL), the player will not be available for the start of the competition next Wednesday (25th) but will join up with the team for the second game on the 31st.

    Pollard will be joining compatriot Sunil Narine at The Kia Oval in a competition that will also feature Dwayne Bravo (Worcestershire) and Kemar Roach.

    Pollard, a five-time champion with IPL team Mumbai Indians, will be looking to rediscover his form after a disappointing IPL campaign.

     “The Kia Oval is a special place to play, especially in front of a full house.

    “This Surrey side is full of talent and should certainly be mounting a challenge for the title.

    “I hope that my experience will add a vital ingredient to the club’s success this year.”

  • Atletico president Cerezo: Griezmann is one of the top four players in Europe – he's going nowhere Atletico president Cerezo: Griezmann is one of the top four players in Europe – he's going nowhere

    Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo says Antoine Griezmann is among the top three or four players in Europe and will remain with the Spanish club beyond this season.

    Griezmann sealed a return to Atletico from Barcelona last August on an initial loan with an option to buy after spending just two years at Camp Nou.

    He has struggled to recapture his best form with Atleti, however, having scored just eight goals in 35 appearances in all competitions.

    Indeed, the France international is on a 14-game run without finding the net in LaLiga, which is one short of his longest goal drought in the competition.

    Griezmann's 13 direct goal involvements in 2021-22 is the fourth most among Atletico players, meanwhile, behind Luis Suarez, Joao Felix (both 15) and Angel Correa (18).

    But contrary to suggestions in the Spanish press that Atleti are reluctant to purchase the 31-year-old outright, Cerezo has made clear a deal is being worked on.

    "Griezmann is our player. He has a contract with Atletico Madrid and will stay here at Atletico Madrid," he said at an event on Friday, as reported by AS.

    "In my opinion, Antoine is among three or four best players in Europe."

     

    Atletico last week announced that Suarez will depart Wanda Metropolitano at the end of the campaign.

    They still have Alvaro Morata on their books, though, with the Spain international's two-year loan at Juventus coming to an end after Saturday's Serie A clash with Fiorentina.

    Unlike with Griezmann, Cerezo was less assertive when it came to discussing Morata's future in the Spanish capital.

    "The truth is that I don't know what will happen to him," he said. "He's our player, but I don't know what will happen. I don't know if Juve will keep him or not. We don't know."

    Atleti have conceded 42 goals in 37 LaLiga games this term, which is their worst record in a single campaign since 2011-12 when Diego Simeone took over midway through.

    Jan Oblak in particular has endured a difficult campaign, though Cerezo rejected suggestions that the goalkeeper could move on in the upcoming transfer window.

    "There are always rumours about everything," he said. "Jan is a goalkeeper for Atletico de Madrid, and he has a contract. He may yet renew for another 10 years."

  • Allegri hints at Chiellini and Dybala farewell in Florence, McKennie could return Allegri hints at Chiellini and Dybala farewell in Florence, McKennie could return

    Massimiliano Allegri hailed the "heavy legacy" Giorgio Chiellini will leave as the Juventus head coach suggested the centre-back and Paulo Dybala will feature at Fiorentina.

    Chiellini confirmed he will leave Juve at the end of the season and was substituted in his final home appearance in the 17th minute on Monday to honour his 17-year spell with the Bianconeri.

    The Italy veteran handed the captain's armband to Dybala as he made his way off the pitch, with the forward also heading for the exit door when his contract expires in June.

    Dybala, who has 115 goals for the Bianconeri, will leave as the third-highest non-Italian scorer in Juve's history in all competitions, behind only David Trezeguet (171) and John Hansen (124).

    Monday's draw with Lazio was expected to be the pair's last appearance for Juve, but Allegri suggested the duo could yet feature in Florence on Saturday, while Weston McKennie might return from injury.

    "A good match against a team that has the objective of hitting Europe," he said as he previewed the Fiorentina game on JuventusTV. "We will find a warm environment and we have to have fun.

    "Tomorrow I think it will be an open game with many goals. Then usually in the final season in these games there are many goals.

    "We will all go to Florence apart from Danilo, [Federico] Chiesa and [Mattia] De Sciglio. Then the others are all available. [Weston] McKennie comes back and maybe he will play a piece of the game."

    On Chiellini's departure, Allegri added: "He leaves a heavy legacy because in any case he was an extraordinary player and he still is because he plays tomorrow.

    "Also on a moral level he will have left excellent lessons to the players who remain in the locker room."

    Juve will end this season with 73 points if they defeat Fiorentina, their worst total in a Serie A campaign since 2010-11 (58).

    Allegri is aware that improvements are needed for next season to compete in the Champions League and with the likes of Milan and Inter, who are still vying for the title.

    "They are the ones that must have a team that aims to win and that fights for all the goals for which it participates," he said of his team.

    "We definitely need to improve this year's season. It's true, but also that we have a good base to start from."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.