Nagelsmann weighs up Lewandowski replacements as Muller says no player is bigger than Bayern

By Sports Desk May 15, 2022

Julian Nagelsmann has "two or three" transfer targets in mind for when Bayern Munich have to replace Robert Lewandowski.

Bundesliga top scorer Lewandowski has told Bayern he wants to leave and is eager to move on during the close season, rather than have to wait for his contract to expire in June 2023.

That conflicts with the club's plan, as they remain steadfast Lewandowski will remain at Bayern for the duration of his deal.

It remains to be seen what happens next and Nagelsmann is not looking for an immediate signing to take the place of Lewandowski.

Instead, he is planning for the striker who might come in in 12 months' time and the Bayern head coach said on Sunday: "I have two or three names in mind, but we still have to explore the market."

Speaking to German broadcaster BR, Nagelsmann confirmed he would nevertheless be looking to bolster Bayern's squad in certain areas over the coming months.

He said: "We're trying to strengthen the team. We'll see what is financially possible. We'll meet with players to convince FC Bayern of their path."

Nagelsmann said he "would be happy if things would be a little quieter next year", after a testing first season at the helm in Munich. A disappointing Champions League exit to Villarreal in the quarter-finals followed a crushing 5-0 loss to Borussia Monchengladbach in the DFB-Pokal.

Before any calm descends, the Lewandowski situation may have to be resolved.

The 33-year-old is reportedly wanted by Barcelona and Bayern would sorely miss the contributions of a player who hit 50 goals in the season that ended on Saturday for the Bundesliga champions.

Speaking at Bayern's championship celebration event on Sunday, star midfielder Thomas Muller sang the praises of Lewandowski, but said the club would find a way to succeed without him.

"FC Bayern is constantly changing," Muller said. "We are constantly losing players, including those we would have liked to keep.

"You're not solely dependent on one player. Of course, Robert is a brutally good individual player. I don't know how long he'll be here. Maybe longer, but there was Bayern before Robert Lewandowski. The club is above everything."

Related items

  • Barcelona 'waiting for Bayern's response' after Lewandowski bid Barcelona 'waiting for Bayern's response' after Lewandowski bid

    Barcelona have made a bid for Robert Lewandowski but are yet to hear back from Bayern Munich, Joan Laporta has revealed.

    Lewandowski emerged as a top target for the Blaugrana towards the end of the 2021-22 season, having enjoyed another outstanding campaign at Bayern.

    The forward, who turns 34 next month, scored 50 goals in all competitions to lead all players across Europe's top five leagues.

    He also topped the charts in netting once every 80 minutes on average.

    Lewandowski has made clear he would be open to a move to Barca, but progress has been slow while the club have wrapped up other signings.

    Franck Kessie and Andreas Christensen were presented at Camp Nou on consecutive days this week, with Barcelona president Laporta insisting there would be no further incoming business until the club had addressed their financial situation.

    That is not the only reason Lewandowski is not yet a Barca player, though, as Laporta suggested the ball remained in Bayern's court – even if the Bundesliga champions have publicly stated a desire to keep their star man.

    "You know we've made an offer for Lewandowski, and we're waiting for Bayern's response," the president said at Christensen's news conference on Thursday.

    "I want to thank the player for his gestures to come. [Bayern] must be evaluating the offer, and we are waiting for the answer."

    Laporta was also again asked about Cristiano Ronaldo, as he had been when appearing alongside Kessie the previous day.

    The Barca chief was reluctant to discuss Ronaldo specifically but had not been surprised by links to the wantaway Manchester United forward, who spent nine years at rivals Real Madrid.

    "We have the great luck that most players want to come to Barca," Laporta said. "When the possibility opens, they consider it and get excited.

    "We have seen this, and we have this great luck – for our history, the players we have had and what we have achieved.

    "I don't go into names, I'm talking in general. There are great players who are in big clubs, but when there is the option of Barca, they consider it.

    "Barca is still very attractive, and the credibility and illusion have returned. The proof is that players like Christensen want to continue their sporting career at Barca.

    "We will return to normal and go into the transfer market with greater guarantees of success."

  • Leeds continue signing spree by bringing in Sinisterra from Feyenoord Leeds continue signing spree by bringing in Sinisterra from Feyenoord

    Leeds United have confirmed the signing of Colombia international Luis Sinisterra from Feyenoord, with the 23-year-old penning a five-year deal at Elland Road.

    The winger, who is the sixth capture of a busy off-season for the Whites, joins for a reported fee of £21.3million (€25m).

    Sinisterra follows United States duo Brendan Aaronson and Tyler Adams, Denmark's Rasmus Kristensen and the pair of Marc Roca and Darko Gyabi through the door at Elland Road.

    Leeds have moved to bolster their squad having survived relegation only on the final day last season and then lost Kalvin Phillips to Manchester City, with Brazil winger Raphinha's departure also anticipated.

    Sinisterra, who registered 23 goals and 14 assists in 49 games last term for Feyenoord, will add to Jesse Marsch's wide options alongside Aaronson, Daniel James and Jack Harrison.

    "I am very happy to be here in this beautiful club," Sinisterra said.

    "I know it's a historic club with beautiful fans. I heard a lot of things about the stadium and atmosphere, it's amazing, so I can't wait to feel that in person.

    "It was my dream when I was a child [to play in the Premier League], right now I am close to making that. Of course, I will work to bring quality to Leeds.

    "This is my feeling, that I want to do the same or even more for this team and for the fans.

    "I think it is also one of my characteristics, to enjoy and make the fans happy with my skills, my quality, and hopefully I can do that here at Elland Road."

  • Sebastien Haller anticipates 'epic' atmospheres with Borussia Dortmund Sebastien Haller anticipates 'epic' atmospheres with Borussia Dortmund

    Sebastien Haller revealed he is looking forward to "epic" atmospheres and games at Borussia Dortmund, after confirmation of his transfer from Ajax.

    Haller joins Dortmund on a four-year deal in his return to the Bundesliga, following a two-year spell with Eintracht Frankfurt 2017 and 2019.

    The 28-year-old has provided four goals and two assists in his six career games against Dortmund, with three of those goals coming in his three games at the Signal Iduna Park, notably in last season's Champions League group stage with Ajax.

    Along with identifying Dortmund's need to compete with Bayern Munich this upcoming season, Haller revealed it is a stadium that brings out the best in him, speaking upon the club's release of the transfer.

    "The goals are, of course, to fight with Bayern and be first," he said. "Why not? It's an epic stadium, so most of the time it's epic games. I have a good feeling because the pitch is really good, and the atmosphere was always really good.

    "Even if I didn't win [with Eintracht Frankfurt], I always have a great memory of this stadium because you are in really good conditions to play football, these games are a reminder that you play a beautiful sport."

    Coming off a 34-goal season with Ajax in all competitions, Haller's arrival comes amid a busy off-season for Dortmund, along with the signings of Niklas Sule, Karim Adeyemi, Nico Schlotterbeck and Salih Ozcan.

    The Ivory Coast international believes Dortmund represent a "great" opportunity for him in return, but is simply eager to start preparations for the upcoming season.

    "I feel great, really happy, proud and also really looking forward to come and play. Training, games, being in the dressing room, everything," Haller said. "This is my life for a few years now and I'm really looking forward to this.

    "It was a great opportunity for me with the club, the people at the club and also I know a few of the players. I had a good connection, I just want to have a good time and be successful.

    "I can't wait to feel the support of 80,000 fans in the stadium as part of the BVB family. Hopefully over the coming years we'll achieve big things together, and then celebrate them together."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.