Mino Raiola, agent of Haaland, Pogba and Ibrahimovic, dies aged 54

By Sports Desk April 30, 2022

Mino Raiola has died aged 54, the agent's family has confirmed.

Raiola, one of football's most recognisable agents, was the representative of a host of household names including Paul Pogba, Erling Haaland and Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Raiola had been in a critical condition at a Milan hospital. Reports of his death circulated in the Italian media on Thursday, though this speculation was furiously denied by a spokesperson.

However, a statement released by Raiola's family on Saturday confirmed he had passed away.

The letter, which was released on Raiola's official Twitter account, read: "In infinite sorrow we share the passing of the most caring and amazing football agent that ever was.

"Mino fought until the end with the same strength he put on negotiation tables to defend our players. As usual, Mino made us proud and never realised it.

"Mino touched so many lives through his work and wrote a new chapter in the history of modern football. His presence will forever be missed.

"Mino's mission of making football a better place for players will continue with the same passion.

"We thank everybody for the huge amount of support received during these difficult times and ask for respect to the privacy of family and friends in this moment of grief."

On Thursday, a tweet from Raiola's account said: "Current health status for the ones wondering: p****d off, second time in four months they kill me. Seem also able to resuscitate."

It was reported in January that Raiola had undergone emergency surgery. However, a post on his Twitter account stated he had only been in hospital for checks.

Haaland, one of Raiola's highly sought-after clients who has been linked heavily with a move to Manchester City ahead of next season, was in action for Borussia Dortmund when the news was confirmed.

In response, the Norway striker's father, Alfe-Inge, tweeted: "R.I.P. The best."

Related items

  • 'Making you trip over would have been well deserved' – Conte pokes fun at Tuchel on Instagram 'Making you trip over would have been well deserved' – Conte pokes fun at Tuchel on Instagram

    In the wake of Tottenham's last-gasp 2-2 draw against Chelsea on Sunday, Spurs boss Antonio Conte poked fun at the situation after both he and Thomas Tuchel were shown red cards.

    The game featured a number of twists and turns, with Chelsea feeling they had won the game when Reece James put them 2-1 ahead in the 77th minute, only for Tottenham to snatch a point deep into stoppage time through a Harry Kane equaliser.

    After the final whistle sounded and the managers came together to shake hands, Tuchel refused to let go, indicating he did not appreciate Conte's lack of eye-contact, sparking an exchange where the pair had to be separated, and both were shown red cards.

    When queried about the altercation after the game, Tuchel insisted that "it's between two competitors and nothing bad happened" and implied things were being blown out of proportion.

    Conte said he believes the video of the situation exonerates him from any blame, and even implied the next time these sides meet there may not be a handshake, saying "next time we will pay more attention and don't shake the hands and we solve the problem… he stays in his bench, I stay in my bench, with my staff on one side and no problem about this."

    He added: "For sure I am not passive. If I see aggressivity, then my answer is with aggressivity, but I repeat this is not a problem."

    In the hours after the match, Conte took to Instagram to post a story of Tuchel running down the sideline while celebrating James' go-ahead goal to make light of the situation, captioning it: "Lucky I didn't see you… making you trip over would have been well deserved" followed by three laughing smiley faces, indicating it is meant with a tongue-in-cheek tone.

    Chelsea will make the trip to Tottenham Hotspur Stadium for the return fixture on February 25.

  • 'The Real Madrid shirt is heavy' – Ancelotti wants more from Tchouameni and Camavinga 'The Real Madrid shirt is heavy' – Ancelotti wants more from Tchouameni and Camavinga

    Aurelien Tchouameni and Eduardo Camavinga failed to show the quality they have done in training during Real Madrid's 2-1 win at Almeria on Sunday, according to boss Carlo Ancelotti.

    Madrid fell behind to Largie Ramazani's early strike at the Power Horse Stadium in their opening LaLiga game of the season, but they drew level thanks to Lucas Vazquez's goal in the 61st minute.

    They then sealed all three points with 15 minutes remaining when substitute David Alaba curled a sumptuous free-kick past Fernando Martinez from 25 yards with his first touch.

    Tchouameni, who joined from Monaco in June for a fee that could rise to €100m, and Camavinga started alongside Toni Kroos in midfield, but both struggled to make an impact.

    Camavinga was replaced by Luka Modric at half-time, while Tchouameni did not last an hour before he was substituted for Eden Hazard.

    Neither player made more than a single key pass – well short of the team-high four that was achieved by three other players – with Ancelotti suggesting the pressure of playing for such a prestigious club affected the pair.

    "For me, [Antonio] Rudiger played a good game," he told Movistar.

    "The youngsters didn't play like they usually do. For what they do in training they deserve to play. They haven't done anything wrong, but they can do better.

    "They are young and the shirt is heavy. It is a toll we pay, but we pay it with pleasure.

    "I removed Camavinga because he had a card and could be a danger in a team that played on the break.

    "It was normal to suffer, because we've complicated the game with a defensive error. From then on it has cost us a lot."

    Hazard has endured a torrid time with injuries since he joined from Chelsea in July 2019, but the Belgium international is hoping to play an important role this season. 

    Ancelotti is not sure where his best position will be, given Vinicius Junior's continued brilliance on the left of the front three, but the Italian expects him to feature regularly. 

    Asked where his best position is, Ancelotti said: "I don't know, I have to think about it. Hazard is a midfielder. We have to bear in mind that Vini really likes the wing.

    "Today he tried to find a lot of the right central defender, where the spaces were very small. Hazard when he came on was good, he's training well and I think he's going to have minutes this season."

  • Chelsea boss Tuchel takes aim at referee after ill-tempered Tottenham draw Chelsea boss Tuchel takes aim at referee after ill-tempered Tottenham draw

    Thomas Tuchel does not want referee Anthony Taylor to officiate a Chelsea game again, with the Blues boss left furious after his side's 2-2 draw with Tottenham.

    An ill-tempered encounter at Stamford Bridge looked set for a victory for the hosts after goals for Kalidou Koulibaly and Reece James, despite Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg's response.

    But a last-gasp Harry Kane header earned a draw for Spurs, with the full-time whistle marked by an aggressive confrontation between Tuchel and opposite number Antonio Conte.

    Both men were shown red cards by Taylor, but much of the German's ire stemmed from his belief that the referee failed to spot a number of incidents, including an alleged offside before Tottenham's first goal and an apparent foul on Marc Cucurella by Cristian Romero prior to the late equaliser.

    Speaking after the game, Tuchel suggested it was far from an isolated number of Chelsea fans who felt Taylor made mistakes during their matches.

    "I don't think just some of the fans think that," he stated. "I can assure you the whole dressing room of us, every single person, thinks that. 

    "I can't understand how the first goal is not offside and I can't understand how when a player is pulled by their hair, the other player stays on the pitch."

    Asked whether he would prefer Taylor not to oversee Chelsea's matches, Tuchel concurred, though he also pointed to the VAR official as equally culpable for the decision-making process.

    "Maybe it would be better, maybe it would be better," he added. "But honestly we also have VAR, to help make the right decisions.

    "Since when can players have their hair pulled, since when is that? And if he does not see it I don't blame him – I didn't see it.

    "We have people at VAR who check this, and then you see it. And how can this not be a free-kick, and then a red card? How?

    "This does not even have to do with the referee in this case. If he does not see something that's why we have people to check if this is a decisive error or not."

    Tuchel failed to spot his own post-game dismissal for his part in the fracas with Conte, and made clear his displeasure that he faces a touchline ban, adding sarcastically: "So good - I cannot coach but the referee can whistle the next game."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.