Di Maria urged to play on in Europe despite expiring PSG contract

By Sports Desk March 29, 2022

Angel Di Maria should continue playing in Europe for another one or two seasons despite his uncertain future with Paris Saint-Germain.

That is the view of Di Maria's father Miguel as the winger reviews his career options.

Di Maria is expected to leave PSG when his contract expires at the end of the season.

The former Real Madrid and Manchester United player has only started four times in Ligue 1 since the start of 2022 and his importance to the team appears to be diminishing.

Di Maria has three goals and three assists from 20 league appearances this season, but his father Miguel believes he still has more to do in Europe and should remain there with the World Cup approaching.

"I would like him to play one or two more years in Europe and then come back [to Argentina]," Miguel said to Radio La Red. 

"He is just 34 years old and he still has a career [at the highest level]. 

"He takes great care of himself, so he has to continue playing [in Europe]." 

Di Maria has had a successful seven seasons with PSG since arriving from Old Trafford in 2015 after a disappointing campaign in the Premier League.

He is closing in on a fifth Ligue 1 title with Mauricio Pochettino's men, but is now deciding on his next move as he nears the end of the one-year contract extension he signed in 2021.

Di Maria has also been pondering his future at international level.

The veteran said after scoring once and creating another goal in the 3-0 World Cup qualifying win over Venezuela at La Bombonera on Friday that he had likely played for Argentina on home soil for the last time.

He thanked supporters and confirmed he would consider retiring from Argentina duty after the World Cup in Qatar at the end of this year.

"We talked later [that night] – I was very happy and he was very proud," added Miguel.

"It's on his mind and it all depends on him.

"I wish he could continue but from what he said that was his last game in Argentina and then it's Qatar and it's over, he's not going to play for Argentina anymore." 

Miguel added that when the time comes to return home, Di Maria still plans to do so with boyhood club Rosario Central.

"His idea is to come to Central for what remains in his career and finish the race – that's it for now," he said.

"He has already said retiring with Central [is his goal]. Hopefully he can achieve it. That is what he is lacking so far because he left here very young and could not enjoy anything."

Related items

  • Eintracht Frankfurt sign Juventus left-back Pellegrini on season-long loan Eintracht Frankfurt sign Juventus left-back Pellegrini on season-long loan

    Eintracht Frankfurt have signed Italy international left-back Luca Pellegrini from Juventus on a season-long loan.

    The Rome-born 23-year-old, who has one Italy cap from 2020, debuted for Juventus last season, going on to make 21 appearances in all competitions.

    Pellegrini's move coincides with left wing-back Filip Kostic's arrival at the Bianconeri from Eintracht this week.

    The former Italy youth international, who was loaned out to Cagliari and Genoa in 2019 and 2020 respectively, would also have faced competition for the left-back role with Alex Sandro.

    Europa League winners Eintracht have made a raft of personnel changes this off-season in preparation for their participation in the Champions League.

    Jens Petter Hauge, Lucas Alario, Hrvoje Smolcic, Kristijan Jakic and Mario Gotze are among their new signings.

  • Kounde the only new Barca signing not registered Kounde the only new Barca signing not registered

    Jules Kounde is the only one of Barcelona's new signings who was not registered on the eve of the LaLiga season.

    Barca head coach Xavi on Friday revealed the club were "very optimistic" that their new recruits would be registered, but all five may not be given the green light for their first match of the LaLiga campaign against Rayo Vallecano on Saturday.

    It later emerged that Robert Lewandowski, Raphinha, Andreas Christensen and Franck Kessie have been registered along with Ousmane Dembele and Sergi Roberto, who signed new contracts

    Centre-back Kounde's registration has not been sanctioned by LaLiga despite Barca having activated a fourth economic lever on Friday.

    It had been reported that Kounde may be the last of the five new recruits the Catalan giants have brought in to be registered, given the big-money signing from Sevilla underwent surgery to repair a minor pelvis injury in June.

    Barca have been busy raising funds to try and meet LaLiga's salary limits and sold a further 24.5 per cent of their production company for €100million, having also agreed a hugely lucrative sponsorship deal with Spotify and sold a percentage of broadcast rights.

    The Blaugrana have lowered their wage bill by offloading players and could also sell Frenkie de Jong and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who have both been linked with Chelsea.

    Blaugrana head coach Xavi said in a press conference on Friday he was prepared for the possibility that some of his new men may not be eligible to play this weekend.

    He told reporters: "We are working hard and everyone at the club is very positive. Maybe not 100 per cent [of the players will be registered], but we are optimistic. We'll see. The club has signed very well, I am very excited about the players we have signed. We have time until tomorrow and now we are very optimistic."

    Barca are expected to make Chelsea full-back Marcos Alonso their next signing and they continue to be linked with Manchester City midfielder Bernardo Silva.

  • Tomori signs new Milan deal Tomori signs new Milan deal

    Fikayo Tomori has signed a new contract to keep him at Milan until June 2027.

    The England defender joined the Rossoneri on a permanent deal from Chelsea in July 2021 after a successful loan spell at San Siro.

    Tomori put pen to paper on a four-year deal with Milan when he left Stamford Bridge just over 13 months ago.

    The commanding centre-back played a big part as Milan ended an 11-year wait to win the Serie A title last season and he has been rewarded with a contract extension.

    Chelsea academy graduate made 30 appearances for Stefano Pioli's side in the Italian top flight last season, helping the champions keep 13 clean sheets.

    He won more tackles (44) than any other Milan defender, and had the most tackles won (44), blocks (23), interceptions (44) and clearances (77).

    The 24-year-old's new deal was announced on the eve of the champions' first game of the Serie A season against Udinese at San Siro on Saturday.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.