Rumour Has It: Barcelona dealt Dembele contract blow as Man Utd, Newcastle lurk

By Sports Desk December 30, 2021

Ousmane Dembele could become the face of a new Barcelona but his future remains unclear.

Xavi has made it clear how much he rates the France international, but his contract expires at the end of the season.

Barca are keen to extend his stay, though it appears their chances have suffered a setback.

 

TOP STORY - DEMBELE TALKS HIT PROBLEM

Barca's latest meeting with Dembele's agents did not have the "expected end", with "tension" rising in negotiations, according to Sport.

While the Catalan daily claims Barca are still confident of reaching an agreement, with Dembele having previously given the green light over a renewal, the forward will be able to open discussions with other clubs over a free transfer from January 1.

Sky Sport Italia reports Manchester United and Newcastle United, the latter of whom are expected to have plenty to spend in January, have already registered an interest.

ROUND-UP

- River Plate's highly-rated forward Julian Alvarez seems poised to leave sooner rather than later. TyC Sports suggests Man Utd have requested a meeting with his agent to understand what it would cost to sign the 21-year-old.

- Many players are likely to be linked with Newcastle over the coming weeks but Atletico Madrid and England right-back Kieran Trippier appears one of the likeliest to join them. Fabrizio Romano claims the Magpies are "still working" on the deal, though Los Colchoneros are yet to receive a bid.

- Borussia Dortmund have not given up hope of retaining Erling Haaland. The Norway sensation has been linked with most of Europe's biggest clubs, but Bild says BVB are willing to make him their highest-paid player of all time.

- Barcelona want to solve their issues in the striker role by bringing Alvaro Morata back to LaLiga from Juventus, according to AS, though there is an acceptance the deal will be a complicated one to pull off due to the fact he is on loan from Atletico.

Related items

  • Saliba reveals Arsenal contract talks following strong start to Premier League season Saliba reveals Arsenal contract talks following strong start to Premier League season

    Arsenal defender William Saliba has revealed he is in talks over a new contract at the Emirates Stadium after making a fine start to the season.

    Having returned from a loan spell at Marseille ahead of the 2022-23 campaign, Saliba has started all eight of Arsenal's Premier League games this season, seven of which have ended in victory.

    Saliba has formed a fearsome defensive partnership with Gabriel Magalhaes during Arsenal's best start to a Premier League campaign since 2007-08 – when they went on to finish third after taking 22 points from their first eight matches.

    The France international's current deal runs until 2024, and he is hopeful of reaching an agreement to extend his stay.

    Asked whether he could agree fresh terms after impressing in Saturday's 3-1 derby win over Tottenham, Saliba said: "Yeah, we will see. They [the club and his representatives] talk a little bit."

    Saliba believes Arsenal are growing in confidence with each victory, adding: "You have to wait every time and I waited a long time for my first North London Derby. I enjoyed it from the first minute to the end, and now I am so happy. 

    "We are so happy to win at home against Tottenham. It was a hard game, but we were focused all the game. We deserve this win.

    "We play against the best players in the world. It is good for young players like me, and I learn a lot.

    "The more we win, the more we are confident. We want every week to win, to win, to win — and that's it."

    Arsenal goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale has watched Saliba's development from close quarters in the season's early weeks, and has described him as a "Rolls-Royce" of a defender. 

    "He has fit in really well," Ramsdale said. "It is a credit to him that he has been put straight into the team. He is a bit of a Rolls-Royce with the way he moves, and he has never seemed fazed.

    "He is still a young boy so still makes mistakes, so at the minute it is either Ben [White], myself, Gabriel or Thomas Partey digging him out and he is digging other people out as well.

    "That is the main thing at the minute, our mistakes aren't leading to too many things and that is the sign of a team who have good characters in and around that back five."

  • Ancelotti claims Madrid 'deserved to win' against Osasuna and defends Hazard call Ancelotti claims Madrid 'deserved to win' against Osasuna and defends Hazard call

    Carlo Ancelotti believes Real Madrid "deserved" to beat Osasuna in Sunday's draw, but called for a reaction from his players as he defended his decision to keep Eden Hazard benched.

    The Belgium international was a spectator as Los Blancos slipped to a 1-1 draw against their visitors, with Karim Benzema fluffing a potential match-winning penalty to ensure the spoils were shared.

    The club's first dropped points of the domestic season saw them surrender top spot to rivals Barcelona, with the pair's Clasico encounter – which takes place in just under a fortnight – set to represent a huge moment in the title race.

    Speaking after Sunday's stalemate, Ancelotti acknowledged his team's frustrations after they dominated for long periods, but added that he anticipates a response.

    "This team is upset when it doesn't win," he stated. "The game was under our control and we deserved to win. 

    "We're not happy and that's the reason why this side won a lot last year. We're not happy with the draw and we will react soon. 

    "We shouldn't be making excuses about the [international] break. We need to manage the break. We've got a very good squad."

    Mariano Diaz was preferred to Hazard when Ancelotti required attacking reinforcements in the second half, and the Italian was succinct in his reasoning for the Belgian's absence.

    "It was a game that needed a strong centre forward who was good in the air like Mariano, who had chances to score with his head," he added. "It wasn't the right match for Hazard’s qualities."

    Meanwhile, Thibaut Courtois missed the game through a case of sciatica, but Ancelotti is hopeful he could return as soon as the club's midweek Champions League encounter with Shakhtar Donetsk.

    "He's got some tests and we'll see if he can get back," he stated. "It's a muscular issue, I think it's with the sciatic nerve. We'll find out if he can play on Wednesday."

  • Mane: 'I will never forget my time with Liverpool' Mane: 'I will never forget my time with Liverpool'

    Sadio Mane says he "will never forget" his time with Liverpool having made a move to Bayern Munich in the recent transfer window.

    Mane joined the Reds from Southampton in 2016 and spent six successful years at the club, winning both the Premier League and the Champions League.

    And while the 30-year-old now plies his trade in the Bundesliga, he says he will always have fond memories of playing for Liverpool.

    "Honestly, I will never forget my time there," Mane told UEFA.com.

    "I learned a lot – as a man and as a football player. The supporters were amazing, the people from the city were amazing. It is a club that will stay in my heart forever.

    "It is also a legendary club – they have won everything. And also, it is the club that had all the best Champions League nights."

    Mane cited the 2019 Champions League final win against Tottenham in Madrid as a particular highlight, adding: "I remember the second goal that Divock Origi scored very well. I was over the moon at that moment. I couldn't believe it.

    "I just thought back to my childhood, when I was watching the Champions League. I found myself playing a final and, more importantly, winning it.

    "It was amazing – 2019 was an outstanding year. The celebrations, the club, you just had to be there to understand. I think over half a million people were out in the streets waiting for us to parade our trophy. It was just beautiful."

    The Senegal international has endured a mixed start to his Bayern career, scoring three in three league games to start the season but then going on a run of five appearances without a goal in all competitions before finally finding the net again in Friday's 4-0 thumping of Bayer Leverkusen.

    And he admitted his move to Germany had not all been plain sailing so far, saying: "Switching from one club to another is not easy.

    "I spent eight very nice years in England, six years at Liverpool [after] two at Southampton, and now I am in a new country. It is not easy because everything changes so suddenly, people, training, everything.

    "Everything is changing so it is not easy at all. I need to adapt. I knew that and it came as no surprise. It is happening just the way I imagined it.

    "People here are welcoming, and they're real players. People around the club are amazing so I am very happy.

    "We have a very, very young squad. It's the first time in my career that I have been part of such a young group. What really stands out to me is that they're all hungry. They all want to develop and they're attentive too.

    "Training sessions are as intense as the games. It's important as I think it makes a real difference and it shows. It’s so easy to play alongside these youngsters, who are massively talented and promising."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.