Rumour Has It: Liverpool eyeing Dybala, Madrid identify Modric successor

By Sports Desk December 07, 2021

For so long, Paulo Dybala has been tipped to extend his Juventus contract.

However, Dybala is yet to put pen to paper as his current deal winds down.

Liverpool are reportedly monitoring the situation and are ready to pounce.

 

TOP STORY – DYBALA EMERGES AS LIVERPOOL TARGET

Liverpool are interested in signing soon-to-be Juventus free agent Paulo Dybala, according to Calciomercato.

Dybala is out of contract at the end of the season and while there have been negotiations, the Juve star is yet to re-sign in Turin.

The situation has reportedly alerted Premier League giants Liverpool.

 

ROUND-UP

- El Nacional claims Real Madrid are eyeing Rennes sensation Lovro Majer as the successor to fellow Croatian Luka Modric at the Santiago Bernabeu. Modric is out of contract at season's end and has been linked with Premier League champions Manchester City.

Ousmane Dembele wants to rebuild his career away from Barcelona, reports Mundo Deportivo. The Frenchman has been linked with Manchester United, Newcastle United, Tottenham and Chelsea.

- United forward Edinson Cavani is an option for Barca as they look to bolster their attack, says Mundo Deportivo. Basel's Arthur Cabral has emerged as a possible January option.

Jose Mourinho's job at Roma is not in danger, according to Fabrizio Romano. Roma have only won three of their past nine Serie A fixtures.

- Ajax goalkeeper Andre Onana is still set to join Serie A champions Inter despite interest from Barca, per Romano.

- Former RB Leipzig head coach Jesse Marsch is an option to join Ralf Rangnick's coaching staff at United. Marsch was sacked by Bundesliga side Leipzig earlier this week.

Related items

  • Arnold hoping to emulate - and surpass - the 2006 Socceroos Arnold hoping to emulate - and surpass - the 2006 Socceroos

    Coach Graham Arnold aims to "put smiles on Australian faces" on Wednesday by emulating the great Socceroos team of 2006 and advancing to the knockout stages of the World Cup.

    Australia head into their final Group D game knowing a win against Denmark will be enough to see them reach the round of 16 for just the second time in the nation's history. A draw would also be enough unless Tunisia beat defending champions France.

    Arnold was an assistant to Guus Hiddink 16 years ago and he understands the size of the prize on offer.

    He said: "That's the whole purpose. My whole goal is to put smiles on Australian faces. It's not about me, it's about the game in Australia.

    "If you're not Australian and you don't know, football is probably the fourth or fifth-main sport. To leave a legacy is huge and in 2006, what that generation did... these guys [the current squad] grew up watching them and they were their inspiration.

    "Even now at dinner, this generation talk about matching the achievements of 2006 but there is so much more to do."

    Midfielder Mathew Leckie added: "It's huge for the sport. I don't know how much it will impact young kids but when they watch it on television and see how big the World Cup is, they may decide to be a footballer rather than, say, an AFL player.

    "The World Cup and the Socceroos bring the country together. We can create something special but we haven't done anything yet, without a result on Wednesday it means nothing."

    Denmark also have plenty to play for at Al Janoub, a win would likely see them progress at Australia's expense and Arnold is certainly not getting ahead of himself.

    "They are a strong team, ranked 10 in the world, but the focus is on ourselves and making sure the players recover well and are ready to go," he said.

    "They have been a top team throughout Europe for a long time. We can only do so much worrying about them, the focus has to be on ourselves. They can play two systems, 3-4-3 or a 4-3-3, so we have to be ready for them tactically."

    Although a draw may be enough, the Socceroos will play to win the game, said Arnold, who joked throughout his press conference with 2006 goalkeeper-turned journalist Mark Schwarzer in the room.

    "One thing Hiddink did was go for the win," Arnold added. "That's what we are going to do. I've never coached to play for a draw. In 2006, we got one win and a draw, we want to go for it and get two wins.

    "It's not often you get to go to a World Cup, and I've been saying this to the boys, enjoy the ride. We've gone through some difficult periods over the last four years, through the pandemic, playing four games out of 20 at home...

    "It's all about the belief, the energy in the players. I feel relaxed and ready."

  • Depay fit to start alongside Gakpo for Netherlands against Qatar Depay fit to start alongside Gakpo for Netherlands against Qatar

    Memphis Depay was named in the Netherlands starting XI for the first time at the 2022 World Cup ahead of their final Group A match against Qatar.

    The Barcelona forward was battling a hamstring injury heading into the tournament and was initially ruled out of the opener against Senegal, only to appear from the bench in a 2-0 win.

    Depay was a substitute again as Louis van Gaal's side drew with Ecuador, and the coach insisted ahead of the meeting with hosts Qatar he would be taking no risks.

    However, he said: "We're going to do anything and everything to progress to the next match."

    That has led to a recall for talisman Depay – a member of Van Gaal's 2014 World Cup squad in Brazil – who lines up alongside breakout star Cody Gakpo in attack.

    Gakpo was a chief beneficiary of Depay's absence, trusted to be the Netherlands' creative force behind a front two of Steven Bergwijn and Vincent Janssen.

    The PSV attacker, linked with Manchester United, was moved into the front line against Ecuador and now keeps his place there, linking up with Depay.

    Gakpo has scored two of the Oranje's three goals so far.

    The Netherlands will be through with a win or a draw and would advance regardless if Ecuador defeated Senegal.

  • 'Marvellous' Ten Hag will need time to deliver Man Utd vision, says De Boer 'Marvellous' Ten Hag will need time to deliver Man Utd vision, says De Boer

    Erik ten Hag has done a "marvellous" job since taking charge at Manchester United, says former Netherlands midfielder Ronald de Boer.

    But the Dutchman says his compatriot will need time to fully implement his ideas and secure a full turnaround in fortunes for the Red Devils.

    Ten Hag succeeded interim boss Ralf Rangnick at the end of last season, and has weathered a slow start – plus the exit of Cristiano Ronaldo – to emerge with an enhanced reputation.

    With United fifth in the Premier League amid its mid-season break for the World Cup, De Boer believes the former Ajax boss has shown his mettle under the microscope to impress so far.

    "I think he has been marvellous," he told Sky Sports. "We're talking about the biggest league in the world.

    "Everybody has an opinion about Manchester United, not only in England but all over the world. I must say he's coping very well.

    "He's had to make some decisions, and I think if you just look from the outside, they're starting to play better. I think you give him time."

    Despite an upturn in both mood and form for United, the likelihood of a silverware challenge already looks slim, with the club 11 points off Premier League leaders Arsenal.

    But De Boer pointed to both Ten Hag's prior record and that of Gunners boss Mikel Arteta, who has also battled criticism for underachievement during his tenure, only to now be leading a title charge.

    "He had a great four years at Ajax with an unbelievable amount of trophies, so give him time," he reinforced. "Look at Mikel Arteta.

    "He had the worst team in the history of Arsenal, and now he's maybe the second-best manager after [Manchester City boss Pep] Guardiola.

    "I think [Ten Hag has] shown the quality. I believe heavily in Erik ten Hag."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.