Totti defends under-fire Mourinho: Roma have no world-class players

By Sports Desk December 06, 2021

Francesco Totti leapt to the defence of under-fire Roma head coach Jose Mourinho by saying the Giallorossi do not have any world-class players, while calling for time for the Portuguese to overhaul the Serie A side.

Mourinho – who arrived in the Italian capital at the start of the season – has cut a frustrated figure amid Roma's run of just three wins in nine Serie A matches.

After a 3-0 loss to Inter on Saturday condemned Roma to back-to-back losses, Mourinho snapped at a journalist and refused to answer his question in a media conference, having cancelled his pre-match news conference.

Mourinho has also been critical of recruitment, the former Tottenham, Manchester United, Chelsea, Real Madrid and Inter boss determined to bolster his Roma squad in January.

As pressure mounts with Roma sitting seventh in the standings and nine points adrift of the Champions League places, club great Totti showed his support for Mourinho.

"To win you need the [right] players," said Totti, who is Roma's all-time leading appearance maker and scorer. "To win it takes an important manager. It takes a club that makes you feel at home at every level of your employment here.

"They have to be always available for everyone here but the most important thing, as we all know, if you want to win you need the players. It is a necessity, the foundation [of victory].

"I don't want to disrespect our current squad now, because it is an important squad with important players. But there are no 'champions' [world class players], and this is plain to see. Only good players who can do well in a certain context."

Roma have not won the Scudetto since 2001, while not since 2008 have they claimed silverware.

Mourinho's Roma have lost seven of their first 16 Serie A games for the first time since 2008-09.

Totti – who spent the entirety of his professional career at Roma, making 786 appearances in all competitions, scoring 307 goals and winning one Serie A title – added: "When we talk about Roma, I feel huge emotions.

"As a fan, I can say we are not in a great period but 'if you are not Roma, you don't suffer', this is our motto as we say and I guess we are used to it, to these topsy-turvy seasons.

"But I am sure the board and the gaffer [Mourinho] want to put back a smile on us fans' faces. A city like Rome deserves respect and most luminous stages than what we are watching now.

"Give them time... but not too long and hope we can see Roma back to shine at international level."

Related items

  • Dembele's agent warns Barca 'threats' won't tempt winger into agreeing new deal Dembele's agent warns Barca 'threats' won't tempt winger into agreeing new deal

    Ousmane Dembele's agent claims Barcelona have threatened to bench the winger for the rest of the season if he does not sign a new contract.

    Dembele entered the final six months of his deal on January 1, meaning he is eligible to discuss potential moves to other clubs for next season.

    Barca, especially coach Xavi, have been open in their desire to see Dembele commit himself to the club, despite his time there being largely disappointing since joining from Borussia Dortmund for an initial €105million in 2017.

    But reports suggest Barca have grown frustrated with the lack of movement, with Xavi previously urging Dembele to "make an effort" in talks.

    Now, the likelihood of an agreement may have diminished even further after Dembele's agent accused Barca of refusing to negotiate and instead turning to "threats".

    "It's applying pressure, and that doesn't work with people like us," Dembele's representative Moussa Sissoko told French broadcaster RMC Sport.

    "Maybe it can work with agents who are cosy with Barcelona, but that's not the case, I am here to defend the interests of my player.

    "We are not here to fuel the debates on social networks, but the truth must be told. Yes, we have demanding demands, but we have already shown that Ousmane's career choices are not dictated by the money, otherwise he wouldn't be here.

    "If Barcelona wanted to negotiate, they could have tried to come to the table with us to discuss, except that there is no discussion, just threats of no longer playing in the side, and that's forbidden. We will assert Ousmane Dembele's rights if necessary.

    "We don't know what we're going to do, nothing has been finalised, but [Barca's] hierarchy alone are losing Ousmane.

    "From the start, we have shown that we want to discuss, with conditions of course, but without closing the door."

  • AFCON matchday preview: Egypt just need a point, Nigeria eye 100 per cent record AFCON matchday preview: Egypt just need a point, Nigeria eye 100 per cent record

    Wednesday's action at the Africa Cup of Nations sees Group D conclude with two heavyweights seemingly set for the knockout phase.

    Egypt certainly have not been without their critics in this tournament, with the performances turned in by Carlos Queiroz's men far from spectacular, but they remain on the brink of progression.

    Assuming they get the job done, they will join Nigeria in the next round after the Super Eagles won both of their first two matches.

    The two giants of AFCON football will be expected to prevail on Wednesday.

    Guinea-Bissau v Nigeria (19:00 GMT)

    Considering Nigeria have come into this tournament essentially under the guidance of a caretaker manager in Augustine Eguavoen, the Nigerian Football Federation's technical director, they have made a very solid start.

    They head into matchday three with six points from two games and have the chance to win all three first-round matches for the first time since 2006.

    Nigeria will be massive favourites as well. Guinea-Bissau have never won an AFCON game in eight attempts, with only Benin (14), Mozambique (12) and Namibia (nine) playing more tournament matches without a single success.

    Their issue this time around has been an obvious wastefulness in front of goal, failing to score from 16 shots that convert to an expected goals (xG) total of 2.2 – if they are goalless in this game, Guinea-Bissau will become the first team in AFCON history to go seven successive matches without scoring.

    One to watch: Taiwo Awoniyi (Nigeria)

    Union Berlin forward Awoniyi may be a relatively new face at international level, but he has looked a prominent threat for Nigeria. His nine shots over the first two games was more than twice as many as any other Super Eagles player, while his 14 touches in the opposition's box is also the most of anyone in the squad. Still, one goal from 2.4 xG suggests he could sharpen up a little.

     

    Egypt v Sudan (19:00 GMT)

    A point will be enough for the Pharaohs to follow Nigeria into the knockouts, though their defeat to Eguavoen's men means second place is the best they can hope for.

    Egypt have looked every inch a side reliant on Mohamed Salah in this tournament, with his goal against Guinea-Bissau last time out breathing some life into their campaign.

    While a draw will be enough for them, in reality only a win over Sudan will satisfy the expectations of supporters.

    Sudan's xG total (1.25) and xGA (expected goals against) of 3.17 are the worst of the four teams in Group D, and Egypt will hope to capitalise on their lack of defensive solidity and attacking threat.

    One to watch: Ali Achrine (Sudan)

    If Sudan are to stand any chance of beating Egypt and potentially going through to the knockout phase, goalkeeper Achrine will surely need to be in inspired form.

     

  • Kolasinac joins Marseille after Arsenal exit Kolasinac joins Marseille after Arsenal exit

    Sead Kolasinac has joined Marseille on a free transfer after the defender was released by Arsenal.

    The Bosnia and Herzegovina international left the Gunners on Tuesday, having reached an agreement to terminate his contract.

    Kolasinac had fallen out of favour at the Premier League club and returned to Schalke on loan last season.

    The 28-year-old is on the move again, joining Ligue 1 side Marseille on a deal until the end of the next campaign.

    Kolasinac made 118 appearances for Arsenal following his switch from Schalke in June 2017, but only played for Mikel Arteta's men five times this season.

    He becomes Marseille's second signing of the January transfer window following the arrival of striker Cedric Bakambu from Beijing Guoan.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.