MLS Cup play-offs: Timbers reach Western Conference final as last-gasp Mabiala strike breaks Rapids hearts

By Sports Desk November 25, 2021

Portland Timbers are through to the MLS Western Conference final after a dramatic 1-0 win over Colorado Rapids.

Larrys Mabiala struck in the final seconds of regulation time as the visitors broke the hosts' hearts at Dick's Sporting Goods Park.

The Timbers will play either Sporting Kansas City or Real Salt Lake in the Western showpiece after inflicting a first home defeat in 17 on the Rapids – and eighth defeat in nine play-off games.

Although, Giovanni Savarese's side ended the contest with 10 men as Dairon Asprilla was dismissed after appearing to strike Braian Galvan in the face.

The Rapids were unbeaten in their last five meetings with the Timbers and carried the greater first-half threat with nine attempts, three of which were on target.

Steve Clark twice came to the visitors' rescue. First, he made a smart save to keep out Mark-Anthony Kaye following a fine individual run, before denying the in-form Dominique Badji’s header from point-blank range.

The Timbers' struggles continued when a distraught Sebastian Blanco – the scorer of five goals in three games – was forced off injured within seven minutes of the restart.

Nevertheless, they worked their way into the contest and went close to breaking the deadlock when Jose Van Rankin's goalbound shot was cleared off the line by Danny Wilson.

And the 2015 MLS Cup winners snatched a dramatic victory with seconds of regulation time remaining, as Mabiala reacted quickest to volley home after a corner ricocheted kindly into his path.

Although, they were made to see out the dying moments with 10 men, when Asprilla was given his marching orders for violent conduct.

Related items

  • Australian Open: 'F***', it was like a zoo' – Kyrgios reacts to Ronaldo copycat chants Australian Open: 'F***', it was like a zoo' – Kyrgios reacts to Ronaldo copycat chants

    Nick Kyrgios compared the crowd during his Australian Open first-round win to a zoo as fans copied a famous Cristiano Ronaldo celebration at almost every point.

    Cries of 'siuu' could be heard throughout much of the home favourite's straight-sets victory over Liam Broady, his first match since a Laver Cup defeat to Stefanos Tsitsipas in September.

    The shouts were apparently mimicking Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo's famous goal celebration.

    There were similar incidents during Andy Murray's battling five-set win over Nikoloz Basilashvili, as the five-time finalist won his first match at the Melbourne major since 2017.

    The raucous crowds caused confusion as many observers wondered if Murray and Kyrgios were being booed on court, despite each player also enjoying huge support.

    Kyrgios later explained he was not surprised to hear the noise from the stands but was taken aback by how long they persisted.

    "It's just a stupid, f***, I can't believe they did it so much," he said after his 6-4 6-4 6-3 victory on John Cain Arena. "They were doing some Ronaldo thing. Ronaldo does it every time he scores.

    "It's like... I thought they were going to do it for like 10 minutes. They did it for two and a half hours, like, every point. I don't know why. It was a zoo out there."

    Murray had wondered if the crowd was turning on him during his epic 6-1 3-6 6-4 6-7 (5-7) 6-4 victory because he had been targeted during his practice session on Monday.

    "Initially, I thought it was [booing] because there were some people booing during my practice yesterday," he said. "I have no idea what for! 

    "But then, after a few times, it was like, no, they're doing that, I think it's like 'Siuu' or something that Ronaldo does when he scores. And, yeah, it was incredibly irritating!"

    Kyrgios produced some superb if often unorthodox tennis as he booked a second-round clash with world number two Daniil Medvedev, who is the highest-ranked male in the draw following the refusal to allow Novak Djokovic to compete.

    The 26-year-old would like to return to John Cain to aid his chances of improving his record against the Russian to 3-0.

    "It's going to be a hell of an experience for me," he said. "He's probably 'the' best player in the world at the moment. So I'm pretty excited, I'm excited for that moment. That's why I play the game.

    "I feel like those matches still excite me, to go out there and play the best in the world. That was always something I wanted to prove to people that someone like me could do, win those matches.

    "I'm not going to go into it with a lot of expectation. I'm going to go out there, have some fun, play my game. I have a pretty set-in-stone game plan of what I need to do to have success.

    "As I said, he's probably the best player in the world, he does everything extremely well. He's a hard worker, ticks all the boxes. I'm not going to even think about that now. To play it on John Cain would be – I'm just going to call it the Kyrgios Court – would be fun."

  • Real Madrid great Paco Gento dies at 88 Real Madrid great Paco Gento dies at 88

    Real Madrid have announced that former star Paco Gento had died at the age of 88.

    The former Spain international was considered one of his country's greatest players of the 20th century and formed part of one of the finest Madrid teams in history.

    Gento scored 182 goals in 600 official matches for Los Blancos, winning a club-record 24 trophies, including 12 LaLiga titles and six European Cups. He remains the only man to have won Europe's top club competition more than five times.

    He also won 44 caps for Spain and featured at the 1962 and 1966 World Cups.

    "Paco Gento truly represents all the values of Real Madrid, and has been and will continue to be a reference for madridistas and for the sporting world," the club said in a statement on Tuesday announcing his passing.

    "He will always be remembered by madridistas and all football fans as one of their greatest."

    Francisco Gento, who began his career with regional teams in his native Cantabria, joined Racing Santander in 1953 before his transfer to Madrid, where he spent 18 hugely successful years.

    A fast and skilful wide player, described by Madrid as one "many believe to be the best left-winger of all time", Gento was part of an historic side that included Alfredo Di Stefano, Ferenc Puskas, Raymond Kopa and Hector Rial.

    He was part of the team that won the first five European Cups from 1956 to 1960 before he captained an all-Spanish Madrid side – known as the 'Ye-ye' Madrid – to a sixth title in 1966. Gento played in eight finals in total, a record he shares with Milan great Paolo Maldini.

    Gento also won 12 LaLiga titles between 1954 and 1969, before he took over as Castilla coach following his retirement in 1971. After spells coaching Castellon, Palencia and Granada, Gento took up an ambassadorial role with Madrid and became the club's honorary president following the death of Di Stefano in 2016.

    "He was fast and he hit the ball like a cannon," Di Stefano said of his old team-mate, as per Radio Marca. "That's not something you learn, it's something you're born with. You can only teach the rest."

  • Rumour Has It: Traore could leave Wolves for Barcelona or Tottenham Rumour Has It: Traore could leave Wolves for Barcelona or Tottenham

    Barcelona remain determined to strengthen their squad despite financial constraints and could be ready to move for Adama Traore.

    It appears the Wolves winger may be sold this month as Bruno Lage's men have already secured a potential replacement.

    Any Barca deal would be complicated by interest from Tottenham, however – assuming they are prepared to match Wolves' demands.


    TOP STORY – TOTTENHAM, BARCELONA ON ALERT AS WOLVES READY TO SELL TRAORE

    Adama Traore could leave Wolves in January, and Barcelona and Tottenham are both interested in the winger, according to the Daily Star.

    Wolves have previously insisted they want to keep the Spain international, but Monday's signing of Portugal Under-21s international Chiquinho could open the door for Traore's exit.

    Spurs are keen but their proposed loan until the end of the season is not something Bruno Lage's side are prepared to accept, as they are holding out for a £25million sale.

    Barca have been linked with the 25-year-old but they must be careful of their spending due to their financial problems.


    ROUND-UP

    Barcelona are determined to bring in a striker this month and Alvaro Morata remains the top target, according to Marca. However, negotiations with Juventus have proved difficult.

    – It appears Dusan Vlahovic may not be leaving Fiorentina yet after all. Gianluca Di Marzio reports the Arsenal and Juventus target will be kept until the end of the season.

    Manchester United have turned their attention to signing John McGinn from Aston Villa, but not until the close-season, the Telegraph says.

    – Meanwhile, United striker Anthony Martial does not want to join another English club, leaving BarcaJuventus and Sevilla as his main options, Fabrizio Romano reports.

    – Newcastle United's bid to sign a new centre-back took a blow as Monaco rejected their £33.4m (€40m) bid for Benoit Badiashile, L'Equipe claims.

    – A striker is also on Newcastle's shopping list and they have launched a £25m (€30m) offer for Atalanta's Duvan Zapata, the Daily Record says.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.