Blatter, Platini indicted for fraud in Switzerland

By Sports Desk November 02, 2021

Former FIFA officials Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini have been charged with fraud and other offences by Swiss authorities relating to a payment made in 2011.

Switzerland's attorney general's office (OAG) published an indictment on Tuesday following an investigation that began in 2015.

Both men "are accused of unlawfully arranging a payment of CHF2million from FIFA to Michel Platini", the OAG said.

Former FIFA president Blatter and ex-UEFA president Platini are now set to face a hearing before Switzerland's Federal Criminal Court (FCC).

The case centres on a payment made by FIFA to Platini in 2011, authorised by Blatter, which the OAG alleges "was made without a legal basis".

The indictment alleges that Platini demanded this CHF2million payment more than eight years after his work as a consultant for Blatter between 1999 and 2002 had come to an end, and that it "damaged FIFA's assets and unlawfully enriched Platini".

According to the indictment, Platini had allegedly been paid by FIFA an annual fee of CHF300,000 for his consultancy work. This amount had been agreed upon in a written contract, the indictment said.

Blatter was originally banned from footballing activities for eight years, reduced to six, by FIFA in 2015 following an Ethics Committee investigation that described the payment as "disloyal". Platini was also given an eight-year suspension.

Each man denied wrongdoing, with Blatter insisting there was a "gentleman's agreement" over the payment.

Blatter has been charged with fraud, misappropriation, criminal mismanagement and forgery of a document. Platini has been charged with fraud, participating in misappropriation, participating in criminal mismanagement and forgery of a document.

Related items

  • Cancelo deal doubts emerge as Bayern chief says paying Man City asking price is 'difficult to imagine' Cancelo deal doubts emerge as Bayern chief says paying Man City asking price is 'difficult to imagine'

    Manchester City's asking price for Joao Cancelo could prevent his loan to Bayern Munich becoming a permanent deal, the German giants have indicated.

    Bayern sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic told the Bild am Sonntag newspaper it is hard to imagine the Bundesliga leaders coughing up what City would be seeking for the full-back.

    Cancelo made a surprising switch to Bayern before the transfer window closed on Tuesday, with the short-term deal including an option to buy the Portuguese defender at the end of the campaign.

    That is reported to be a €70million (£62.8m) option, which would put the player who turns 29 in May among the most expensive signings in Bayern's history.

    Salihamidzic said: "We're playing with open cards. The most important thing is that Joao feels comfortable in Munich and can perform in the second half of the season. But we also made it clear to him that this sum is difficult for us to imagine in the next few years."

    Salihamidzic, a former Bayern full-back himself, hinted there could still be an agreement reached, even if the fee inserted as an option for Bayern appears beyond them at present.

    He said: "If all sides absolutely want a common solution, you can manage that in the end. He knows that he has been one of our dream players for years."

    Cancelo started more Premier League games than any other City outfield player (36) last season as they won the title, having more touches (3,908) and attempting more passes than anyone else in the league (2,951).

    He made his Bayern debut on Wednesday in a 4-0 win over Mainz in the DFB-Pokal, assisting Eric Choupo-Moting for the opening goal.

    Salihamidzic told the German newspaper the deal for Cancelo did not involve a loan fee, putting that down to "network, but of course also luck".

    Cancelo has a contract with City that runs through to 2027, having signed a two-year extension to his deal last February.

  • Real Mallorca 1-0 Real Madrid: Asensio penalty saved as Los Blancos fail to close gap on Barca Real Mallorca 1-0 Real Madrid: Asensio penalty saved as Los Blancos fail to close gap on Barca

    Marco Asensio missed a penalty as Nacho's own goal condemned Real Madrid to a surprise 1-0 defeat against mid-table Real Mallorca in LaLiga on Sunday.

    Madrid fell behind when stand-in captain Nacho deflected Vedat Muqiri's header beyond Andriy Lunin – a late replacement for the injured Thibaut Courtois – 13 minutes in.

    The champions toiled for long periods without absent striker Karim Benzema, and they missed a golden chance to level when Predrag Rajkovic saved Asensio's second-half penalty.

    The result meant Los Blancos missed the chance to close the gap on LaLiga leaders Barcelona ahead of their fixture against Sevilla later on Sunday, handing the Blaugrana the chance to move eight points clear.

    Fresh from three successive home wins, Mallorca wasted little time in taking the lead. Muriqi met Dani Gonzalez's inswinging cross, and his flicked header deflected off Nacho before looping over Lunin. 

    Madrid controlled the remainder of a scrappy first half but failed to register a single shot on target before the break, with the likes of Federico Valverde and Antonio Rudiger restricted to ambitious long-range efforts that cleared the crossbar.

    The visitors were presented with a wonderful opportunity to equalise on the hour mark when a VAR review ruled Rajkovic had fouled Vinicius Junior. However, the goalkeeper atoned for his error by guessing correctly to brilliantly deny Asensio. 

    Ancelotti introduced the likes of Luka Modric and Toni Kroos in a bid to inspire Madrid, who had lost just once in their nine previous away games against Mallorca prior to Sunday's meeting.

    Substitute Mariano Diaz volleyed narrowly over and Rudiger sent a header wide late on, but the stubborn hosts clung on to deal a huge blow to the champions' title defence.

     

  • Spezia 0-3 Napoli: Kvaratskhelia and Osimhen brutally punish errors to open 16-point lead Spezia 0-3 Napoli: Kvaratskhelia and Osimhen brutally punish errors to open 16-point lead

    Khvicha Kvaratskhelia and Victor Osimhen ruthlessly punished three defensive errors as Napoli beat Spezia 3-0 to increase their lead at the Serie A summit to 16 points.

    Luciano Spalletti's side may not have been at their swashbuckling best but produced a professional display at Stadio Alberto Picco on Sunday and never looked at risk of dropping points once they edged in front.

    An uneventful first half brought few clear-cut chances, but Napoli took charge of the contest just a minute into the second, with Kvaratskhelia coolly converting a penalty.

    Another mistake allowed Osimhen to score for the fifth league game in a row, and he netted again soon after as Spezia proved to be their own worst enemies.

    Both sides looked purposeful early on, with Kevin Agudelo threatening first as he blazed over following a driving run.

    Mattia Caldara then chested a Mario Rui cross just wide of his own goal at the other end, and from the subsequent corner Giovanni Di Lorenzo went agonisingly close with a glancing header.

    Proceedings soon calmed significantly, but Spezia gifted Napoli the breakthrough via a penalty concession a minute after the restart.

    Arkadiusz Reca blatantly handled the ball in the box and Kvaratskhelia slammed home his spot-kick.

    Osimhen was then on hand to capitalise on Ethan Ampadu's sliced clearance with 68 minutes played, nodding in above Dimitris Nikolaou and Bartlomiej Dragowski.

    The two goalscorers linked up five minutes later to finish Spezia off.

    Caldara inexplicably coughed up possession just outside his own box, allowing Kvaratskhelia to tee Osimhen up for a tap-in.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.