UEFA's Boban calls biennial World Cup plan an 'absurdity' that would 'hurt everybody'

By Sports Desk October 09, 2021

UEFA's chief of football Zvonimir Boban said those in the game must fight FIFA's proposal to stage the World Cup every two years because if it succeeds it would "hurt everybody." 

FIFA held an online summit last month to discuss moving World Cups from occurring every four years to every two, which has already been met by strong opposition within UEFA.

Former Milan and Croatia star Boban said the idea was "even worse than the Super League," which was foiled earlier this year by wide-ranging public backlash from fans and European clubs.

"Every normal person who understand and respect football, cannot accept the biennial World Cup idea," Boban said via Gazzetta dello Sport. "You would cancel 100 years of history of the World Cup, the best competition in the world.

"Football cannot be revolutionised unilaterally without a good consultation with all the parts involved and ordering other institutions to do other things: UEFA must organise Euro every two years, domestic league must cut the number of teams, this and that.

"The most absurd thing, even if probably clubs don’t realise it yet, is the two windows for international breaks. Three games in a row and a player is dead. Two games you can recover, three not. Travels don’t hurt footballers, too many games in a row do."

While several UEFA officials have spoken out against the plan, Boban's opposition is notable given his ties to FIFA president Gianni Infantino. 

Boban worked as FIFA's Deputy Secretary-General from 2016 to 2019. 

"It is such an absurdity that I could never imagine that could come from a president I still love after working with him for three years or from a football person like [Arsene] Wenger," he said. "This is idea is so crazy that we really have to fight against it because it would hurt everybody."

Boban said UEFA would never propose holding the Euros every two years, "even if it meant more money". 

"It would be bad for players, leagues, clubs as well as for the appeal of competitions," he added. "It does not respect anybody. It would destroy football's institutions together with the footballing pyramid that was built thanks to decades of work."

Related items

  • Spezia 0-3 Napoli: Kvaratskhelia and Osimhen brutally punish errors to open 16-point lead Spezia 0-3 Napoli: Kvaratskhelia and Osimhen brutally punish errors to open 16-point lead

    Khvicha Kvaratskhelia and Victor Osimhen ruthlessly punished three defensive errors as Napoli beat Spezia 3-0 to increase their lead at the Serie A summit to 16 points.

    Luciano Spalletti's side may not have been at their swashbuckling best but produced a professional display at Stadio Alberto Picco on Sunday and never looked at risk of dropping points once they edged in front.

    An uneventful first half brought few clear-cut chances, but Napoli took charge of the contest just a minute into the second, with Kvaratskhelia coolly converting a penalty.

    Another mistake allowed Osimhen to score for the fifth league game in a row, and he netted again soon after as Spezia proved to be their own worst enemies.

    Both sides looked purposeful early on, with Kevin Agudelo threatening first as he blazed over following a driving run.

    Mattia Caldara then chested a Mario Rui cross just wide of his own goal at the other end, and from the subsequent corner Giovanni Di Lorenzo went agonisingly close with a glancing header.

    Proceedings soon calmed significantly, but Spezia gifted Napoli the breakthrough via a penalty concession a minute after the restart.

    Arkadiusz Reca blatantly handled the ball in the box and Kvaratskhelia slammed home his spot-kick.

    Osimhen was then on hand to capitalise on Ethan Ampadu's sliced clearance with 68 minutes played, nodding in above Dimitris Nikolaou and Bartlomiej Dragowski.

    The two goalscorers linked up five minutes later to finish Spezia off.

    Caldara inexplicably coughed up possession just outside his own box, allowing Kvaratskhelia to tee Osimhen up for a tap-in.

  • Neuer prioritised himself over Bayern with goalkeeping coach comments, says Salihamidzic Neuer prioritised himself over Bayern with goalkeeping coach comments, says Salihamidzic

    Hasan Salihamidzic has accused Manuel Neuer of putting his own interests above those of Bayern Munich amid a row over the sacking of goalkeeping coach Toni Tapalovic.

    Neuer, who is sidelined for the rest of the season after breaking his leg during a skiing trip in December, criticised the club's decision to part ways with Tapalovic in an interview with The Athletic.

    The Germany international said his long-term mentor's exit came as a "blow", adding: "It really knocked me down". 

    Neuer's comments have attracted criticism from Bayern's hierarchy, with chief executive Oliver Kahn saying they "do not do justice to him as captain or to the values of FC Bayern".

    Sporting director Salihamidzic echoed those thoughts in an interview with BILD, saying he expected more from the Bayern skipper and declaring Tapalovic's exit was not the goalkeeper's concern. 

    "I understand that Manuel is personally affected. But I would have expected a different behaviour from him, especially as a captain," Salihamidzic said.

    "The Tapalovic decision, which was also difficult for us personally, had nothing to do with Manuel in this matter, and we explained that to him."

    Asked if any punishment would be handed out to Neuer, Salihamidzic said: "If there are any consequences, we will first talk to Manuel about it himself. 

    "The disappointment that he describes about Tapa's release also prevails with us because Manuel has put his personal interests above the interests of the club here.

    "We will do it internally, and discuss it reasonably with him. Oliver classified the parts of the interview that are relevant for Bayern correctly. We have to clarify a very important topic with Manuel."

  • 'What a waste of money' – Potter warns Chelsea new boys must deal with derisive chants 'What a waste of money' – Potter warns Chelsea new boys must deal with derisive chants

    Graham Potter has warned Chelsea's new signings about the derision they will face from opposing fans after Fulham's supporters described Enzo Fernandez as "a waste of money".

    Chelsea had three of their January signings in the starting XI as they slumped to a goalless draw at home to west London rivals Fulham on Friday, leaving the Blues 10 points adrift of the Premier League's top four.

    Chelsea spent a reported £294.8million in the January transfer window alone, making Fernandez the Premier League's record signing on deadline day having already acquired Mykhaylo Mudryk, Benoit Badiashile, Andrey Santos, David Datro Fofana, Joao Felix, Noni Madueke and Malo Gusto.

    Though Fernandez was largely impressive on his debut, the World Cup winner was taunted by Fulham's travelling fans, who directed chants of "what a waste of money" towards him.

    Potter knows Chelsea's recent arrivals must get used to that type of treatment, saying: "It's not just Enzo, it's the whole team.

    "It's normal because we have spent the money we've spent and you guys aren't going to let that go under the radar, so all of football will be singing that song.

    "We need to improve as a team. If you look back 18 months, Chelsea were not scoring and they thought they would spend £100m on a centre-forward and that would fix all the problems, and it didn't. 

    "You have to act better as a team. That's our challenge. That's what we need to do."

    Chelsea's spending has attracted criticism from rival managers, with Liverpool's Jurgen Klopp joking he would not speak about the Blues' business without a lawyer present. 

    Manchester City's Pep Guardiola, meanwhile, implied there would be more of a backlash if the champions embarked on a spending spree similar to Chelsea's.

    Asked about those comments, Potter said: "Everybody's entitled to their opinion. It's a free world, it's free speech, which is good. 

    "[Guardiola and Klopp] are entitled to their opinion. I don't worry too much about that. They've got their right to speak."

    With Chelsea winning one of their six Premier League games since the turn of the year, Potter is under pressure to get his squad to gel quickly, but the former Brighton and Hove Albion boss does not know how long it will take.

    "I don't think anyone could give you a timescale," he added. "If I could get a month for every time I was asked that question, I would be here for five years."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.