Messi still wanted by MLS outfit Inter Miami, claims Higuain

By Sports Desk September 17, 2021

Lionel Messi is wanted by MLS side Inter Miami, according to former Argentina team-mate Gonzalo Higuain.

Messi completed a momentous free transfer to Paris Saint-Germain in August, with Barcelona being unable to afford a new deal for the Blaugrana great amid financial difficulties.

The Argentina captain enjoyed a cameo against Reims before making his full debut away at Club Brugge in the Champions League on Wednesday, hitting the crossbar in a 1-1 draw.

However, Miami forward Higuain hinted that the door is already open for Messi's potential next move – the second time he has done so after advocating a potential transfer in March.

"Don't get me into trouble… I have no idea about Leo [Lionel Messi] in Miami," Higuain told ESPN Argentina.

"I have one year left on my contract and Leo I think he signed 2 or 3 years in Paris, I don't think we agreed. The club wants it, let's see."

Higuain also made his standpoint on his future very clear and explained admiration for Miami's joint-owner David Beckham.

Having joined Beckham's franchise in September last year, the ex-Real Madrid, Napoli and Juventus striker has netted 10 times in 30 MLS outings, though he believes next season will be his last for the time being.

"Honestly, you are very far from the competition in Europe, it is a league that takes a lot of affection but now that there are people the truth is that I am enjoying it a lot," Higuain added.

"There are many players who want to come and play here. The league is very nice, I like to play it. Good teams, good players.

"After that year [left on his contract] I take a sabbatical, away from football and everything."

Related items

  • Monaco 'convinced' by Minamino qualities as Liverpool forward closes on move Monaco 'convinced' by Minamino qualities as Liverpool forward closes on move

    Monaco head coach Philippe Clement hopes Takumi Minamino can bring new qualities to his side as the Liverpool forward closes on a move to Ligue 1.

    Minamino is widely expected to join Monaco in the coming days, with the club reportedly agreeing a €13.3million (£15.5m) deal to sign the Japan international.

    The forward has scored four goals in 30 Premier League appearances for Liverpool since joining from Salzburg in 2020, but he started only five of those games as he struggled for regular minutes in Jurgen Klopp's star-studded side, spending half a season on loan at Southampton.

    Ahead of Monaco's 1-0 friendly win over Cercle Brugge on Sunday, Clement revealed Minamino was set to complete his move to the principality and affirmed his belief in the 27-year-old's ability.

    "I'm very happy, I've known him for a long time," Clement said of Minamino. "He was very high on our list. Everyone here is convinced that he has the qualities to bring something to the team.

    "He already has experience and has done a lot of good things at Salzburg, in a style close to ours, just like at Liverpool where there is a lot of competition. That's why this is an opportunity."

    Monaco ended the 2021-22 season third in Ligue 1, having finished the previous campaign in the same position.

  • 'I've never seen real leadership from him' – Legrottaglie questions whether Juventus should fight for De Ligt 'I've never seen real leadership from him' – Legrottaglie questions whether Juventus should fight for De Ligt

    Matthijs de Ligt has never shown "real leadership" with Juventus and the club might do well to offload him, according to former Bianconeri defender Nicola Legrottaglie.

    The Netherlands centre-back is under contract at the Allianz Stadium until June 2024, but could soon be on the move after three years in Italy.

    Chelsea have been linked with a move for the 22-year-old, who has been a regular in the heart of the Juventus defence since arriving from Ajax for €85.5million in July 2019.

    The centre-half has racked up 117 appearances across all competitions, scoring eight goals, and winning the Serie A title during his first season.

    In 87 Serie A games, he has committed just one error leading to a goal, yet Legrottaglie has not been wholly convinced by De Ligt.

    With the Chelsea rumour now circling, Legrottaglie said: "If the boy was really convinced he wanted to leave, I don't know how much it would be better for Juventus to keep him at home against his will."

    Legrottaglie, who also played for Italy, believes there are plenty of admirable elements about De Ligt's game.

    "In terms of characteristics, I have always liked the player," Legrottaglie told Tuttojuve.com. "I believe, however, that he has never really immersed himself into the environment.

    "I have never seen real leadership from him; from the outside, he has been perceived as a bit separate from the group. Let's say he didn't do everything to make himself loved."

    De Ligt remarked that Torino centre-back Gleison Bremer and Napoli's Kalidou Koulibaly might have the attributes to bolster the Juventus defence, after back-to-back fourth-placed finishes in Serie A.

    He also pointed to the likely high cost of such players, and said: "It is not certain that with a great champion you necessarily do better, especially in defence. What counts is the work of the department, which often makes up for the quality of the individual."

    Speaking in early June to Dutch outlet NOS, De Ligt said talks about his Juventus future had been taking place, adding: "When the time comes, I will decide whether I will extend or whether I want to look further.

    "I always look at what is best for myself in terms of the sporting project. Fourth place twice in a row is not good enough; we will have to make steps in that direction."

  • Napoli striker Osimhen says facial injury was like a 'near-death' experience Napoli striker Osimhen says facial injury was like a 'near-death' experience

    Napoli forward Victor Osimhen has described the facial injury he suffered last season against Inter as "like a near-death injury".

    The Nigeria international was hurt in a clash of heads with Nerazzurri defender Milan Skriniar during Inter's 3-2 win against Napoli at San Siro in November.

    Osimhen, who has been linked with the likes of Arsenal and Manchester United in recent weeks, needed surgery on his face and did not return to action until mid-January.

    Despite that lay-off, the 23-year-old scored 18 times in 32 appearances for Luciano Spalletti's side in all competitions last season.

    His 14 league goals also meant Osimhen became the first Nigerian to achieve double figures in two straight Serie A terms, while he became just the fourth African player to achieve the feat in the Italian top flight after George Weah for Milan, Samuel Eto'o for Inter and Mohamed Salah for Roma.

    Speaking to Wazobia FM, Osimhen detailed his injury against Inter and the mentality he needed to come back.

    "As I got to the hospital, I told my doctor that I would be out for two weeks maximum," he said.

    "When the scan came out, I fractured many bones, which they had to remove and fix inside again. I have like 18 screws under my jaw. I went through a lot.

    "I could not sleep, I could not eat with the pain. But at the end of the day, I am a lion, and I know the kind of mentality I have.

    "In my mind, I had already scheduled my return following the surgery."

    Osimhen returned for the 2-0 win at Bologna in which Hirving Lozano scored both goals, with Napoli ultimately ending the season in third place in Serie A.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.