Pochettino: Mbappe has not asked to leave PSG and will be involved against Reims

By Sports Desk August 28, 2021

Kylian Mbappe has not asked to leave Paris Saint-Germain and will be involved in Sunday’s trip to Reims, head coach Mauricio Pochettino said.

Mbappe has been heavily linked with a blockbuster move to Real Madrid during this transfer window.

According to widespread reports, Madrid have offered €170million plus €10million in add-ons to sign the 22-year-old, who is in the final year of his contract with PSG.

Mbappe, who has scored 133 times in 174 games for the French giants, trained on Saturday ahead of the clash with Reims.

Pochettino also revealed that Lionel Messi and Neymar would play a part at Stade Auguste-Delaune.

"They will certainly all be in the squad, so we will see if they are in the starting 11 tomorrow," the head coach said.

"Kylian Mbappe is working very hard and is preparing for tomorrow's game.

"In terms of communications with our president and sporting director, they have made it clear what the club's stance is in this regard."

When asked whether Mbappe had expressed his desire to leave the club, Pochettino replied: "No."

PSG have made a 100 per cent start to the Ligue 1 season, winning all three of their matches so far.

Related items

  • Neymar ruled out for six to eight weeks with ankle injury Neymar ruled out for six to eight weeks with ankle injury

    Paris Saint-Germain have confirmed Neymar will be out for six to eight weeks with an ankle injury.

    The Brazil star was taken off on a stretcher during the closing stages of the 3-1 win over Saint-Etienne and was seen leaving the stadium on crutches.

    Head coach Mauricio Pochettino said he did not expect the injury to be serious, but tests have shown Neymar has sprained the ligaments in his left ankle.

    PSG said on Monday that a further update on his recovery time would follow this week.

    Should Neymar be sidelined for two months, he would miss eight games in all competitions, including PSG's final Champions League group game against Club Brugge and the league trip to Lyon on January 8.

    The 29-year-old has struggled for top form in 2021-22, managing three goals and three assists in 14 appearances in all competitions.

  • Portugal's national health institute reports 13 cases of Omicron variant at Belenenses SAD Portugal's national health institute reports 13 cases of Omicron variant at Belenenses SAD

    Portugal's national health institute, INSA, has reported 13 cases of the new Omicron variant of COVID-19 at Belenenses SAD.

    B-SAD were forced to face Benfica on Saturday with just nine players - including two goalkeepers - after positive tests for 13 members of the squad.

    Benfica went into half-time 7-0 up and B-SAD were forced to forfeit shortly after the restart due to insufficient players as injuries reduced the hosts - who were without any substitutes - to six men.

    Among the B-SAD players to miss out was Cafu Phete, who had recently spent time in South Africa - where the Omicron variant was first detected - and it now appears that he and the other 12 members of the squad have tested positive for this new strain of coronavirus. 

    "Preliminary tests carried out at INSA strongly suggest that all 13 cases associated with players of Belenenses SAD are linked to the variant of concern Omicron," INSA's statement to Publico read.

    "The predictive value of the tests carried out is already very high."

    Benfica's players are set to be tested as Portuguese authorities respond to the Omicron variant being found inside the country's borders.

    "We'll have more proactive isolation and a more intensive testing of contacts," Graca Freitas - Portugal's Director-General for Health - told TSF. 

    Flights into Portugal from Mozambique have now been banned, while two positive cases were discovered among the 218 people to have arrived on the last such flight on Saturday.

  • Man Utd appoint Rangnick as interim manager Man Utd appoint Rangnick as interim manager

    Manchester United have appointed Ralf Rangnick as their interim manager until the end of the season.

    Club legend Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and United parted ways following the 4-1 humiliation at Watford, with the Red Devils announcing they were looking for a temporary boss until the end of the campaign when they will search for a permanent solution.

    Rangnick, 63, leaves his role as head of sports and development at Lokomotiv Moscow to take up the vacancy at Old Trafford, which Michael Carrick had temporarily occupied.

    Former midfielder Carrick took temporary charge for the 2-0 Champions League win at Villarreal and the 1-1 draw at Premier League leaders Chelsea on Sunday.

    Rangnick, whose appointment is subject to work visa requirements, will take up a two-year consultancy role with United once 2021-22 is concluded.

    Rangnick, who is known for his high-pressing philosophy and influence on some of Bundesliga's brightest minds, started his career with his hometown club Viktoria Backnang.

    After spells with the likes of Stuttgart, Hoffenheim, Hannover and Schalke, Rangnick enjoyed a brief managerial stint with RB Leipzig, who rose from the fourth tier of German football to the Bundesliga with the new United man as director of football.

    Across 293 games in the German top flight, Rangnick has 120 victories to his name at a win percentage of 41, though he remains somewhat of an unknown quantity outside of his homeland.

    Indeed, Rangnick has only faced United twice in his managerial career when in charge of Schalke, who were outclassed over two legs in the Champions League semi-final in 2011 as Alex Ferguson's side made their third final in four years.

    The Red Devils are eighth in the Premier League, five points outside the top four and 12 adrift of Chelsea.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.